VNAF EC-47 of the 716th Reconnaissance Squadron - Tan-Son-Nhut AFB.

Hi all,

Here is my second build in this groupbuild of a VNAF EC-47 that I am building at the same time with my other topic of the 1/35 Trumpeter CH047A, so I thought I may submit a second one in this groupbuild.

As for this particular bird I want to build, I don't think there's such a kit or even aftermarket resin part are availble so I am going to do the nose modification myself.

First I drew up a vector profile of the EC-47 in 1/72 scale then printed out and compare with the kit half to see how the noses difference are...

IMG_2332_zpsdjnjlfgc.jpg

IMG_2330_zpsudjkhfcx.jpg

Then while I've got the frofile drawing there, I finished off the artwork for painting and markings later on...

EC-47D_profile_1-72_zpsybuuufbo.jpg

Until the next time...

Cheers

Flying Tiger

Interesting idea. Looking forward to this one.

My Father flew C-47s for a while in the Air Corps and I had to catch one to get to Bangkok for a military customs inspector class. Not a trip I'll forget. I'll put it in a upcoming War Stories

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys for interested in my RC-47D build and finally I have started this weekend....been so busy with work and also been trying to get a block of stock material to make the new nose...I decided to get an Italeri 1/72 Dakota Mk.3 kit for this project because it doesn't have raised rivets like the MPC kit for ease of sanding and rescribe panel lines rather than reproduce the rivets....

Here are the 2 halves block shaped in the side view profile...This material has a weird name and I can't never remember how to spell it, it's a stock material for pattern making and CNC dummy cutting, it's kind of something in between wood and plastic, harder than wood but has no grains so it's easy to cut, carve and machine...and softer than plastic for shaping by hand tools...

p1_nose_block_A_zpsrhhr702e.jpg

p1_nose_block_B_zps7zniwhiy.jpg

Before getting into carving those solid blocks of the nose...I started with the interior as usual....but the plan was....we won't see much once the fuselage closed in so it's just a brief/quick finishing on it....so here is the one go completed interior before painting...

p2_interior_assembly_zps58eoou06.jpg

The interior with a coat of undercoat gray matt paint to create "teeth" for the artist oil colors which I'll paint directly with a medium flat brush....

p4_zpsuibveqiv.jpg

But first, I washed the entire interior with Vallejo "oiled earth" wash as under shading...then highlight with artist oil....

p5_interior_prewashed_zpsdlszbvg3.jpg

The interior's done....

p6_interior_done_zpsmd4kfqnm.jpg

Now the LHS nose was underway...

p7_nose_LHS_wip_zpsnvy0eyrf.jpg

Initially, I was thinking of just glue the solid nose to the fuselage then blend it in and so on....but now I think I have to heat-form it so the nose would have room for the cockpit floor to extend through....

p8_nose_LHS_wip_zpslomy881p.jpg

Until the next time...

Cheers

Flying Tiger

Thanks guys for interested in my RC-47D build and finally I have started this weekend....been so busy with work and also been trying to get a block of stock material to make the new nose...I decided to get an Italeri 1/72 Dakota Mk.3 kit for this project because it doesn't have raised rivets like the MPC kit for ease of sanding and rescribe panel lines rather than reproduce the rivets....

Here are the 2 halves block shaped in the side view profile...This material has a weird name and I can't never remember how to spell it, it's a stock material for pattern making and CNC dummy cutting, it's kind of something in between wood and plastic, harder than wood but has no grains so it's easy to cut, carve and machine...and softer than plastic for shaping by hand tools...

Initially, I was thinking of just glue the solid nose to the fuselage then blend it in and so on....but now I think I have to heat-form it so the nose would have room for the cockpit floor to extend through....

Until the next time...

Cheers

Flying Tiger

Very impressive start, professional illustration too :worship::thumbsup: I think vacuum form is a good idea just a small suggestion: If you are going heat form it how about heat form whole forward section including the wind screen in clear PET plastic hmmm might be a lot of work to create the master. But if you decide plug the whole nose in it should be ok because in 1/72 no one will see the instrument panels control yoke, cockpit floor ... only the seats and the pilots but you would have to look really hard :) . Oh if you are going to heat form it please do not throw away the master. VNAF had a lot of EC-47 to monitor VC radio traffic and we definitely want more to be built :)

Edited by C7A

A guy in a german forum built an EC-47N some years ago, I think the pictures are worth looking at: http://www.modellboard.net/index.php?topic=10105.0

And his WIP: http://www.modellboard.net/index.php?topic=10153&boardid=28&styleid=1

(All in german, but I think the pictures speak for themselves)

HAJO

Wow thanks Hajo for the EC-47 links, they're great refs but I'll save this for another EC-47 build, perhaps a 1/48 for myself...:)/>

As for this one, I am building for a friend and mainly concentrate on the exteriors...all the doors are to be closed...no body's gonna see anything inside....so no need for all the computer stations etc. :)/>

Thanks again... :thumbsup:/>

Regards

Flying TIger

Very impressive start, professional illustration too :worship:/> :thumbsup:/> I think vacuum form is a good idea just a small suggestion: If you are going heat form it how about heat form whole forward section including the wind screen in clear PET plastic hmmm might be a lot of work to create the master. But if you decide plug the whole nose in it should be ok because in 1/72 no one will see the instrument panels control yoke, cockpit floor ... only the seats and the pilots but you would have to look really hard :)/> . Oh if you are going to heat form it please do not throw away the master. VNAF had a lot of EC-47 to monitor VC radio traffic and we definitely want more to be built :)/>

Hey thanks C7A and yes...it's a lot of work to include the cockpit but....once I've got the nose in placed and before I vac-formed it I'll make a silicon molds of the 2 halves of the front section just after the cockpit window so I can make the resin copies for the clear vac-form....

Cheers

FT

Hi all,

Weekend comes around meaning I'll have sometime to get some more modeling done....

Here are the nosed halves almost done.....

Cheers

FT

p9_nose_LHS_wip_zpslz0upvpz.jpg

p10_nose_RHS_wip_zpsih7oec81.jpg

:jaw-dropping: Whoa you made it looks as easy as pie or eating pork rib rice ( Dễ như ăn cơm sườn) ! :) Love it !

Edited by C7A
  • 2 months later...

Hello all again and Happy New Year.....It's been a while since the last time...I've so busy with work and life....finally have sometime back into this now....and hope I'll able to finish this EC-47.....

I've got to get over this hurdle of the scratchbuid nose so I can move on and here are the process of dodgy home "vacuum" forming (with the absent of the suction....;)

p12_zpsc7setp4w.jpg

The first half is done...

p13_zpsdfxzkip7.jpg

Trimmed and dry-test....not too bad but it will do the job with some adjustments....

p14_zpsc2nivpgh.jpg

The second half is done....this one is a bit better....

p15_zpse2drewt2.jpg

Trimmed and supports for strengthen and try to "pull" the shapes back....may need some fillers later....

p17_zpstdisrreq.jpg

Dry-fit the nose......I think I'm very happy with the dodgy home "vacuum" forming....;)

p18_zpscrdtrzye.jpg

p19_zpsydzx2atv.jpg

Until the next time.....

Cheers

Flying TIger