A-10's in 1/48? Been out of the aircraft side for a while

Fellas, its been years since I followed the 48th Aircraft release scene. I've seen new Viggens and Jags, but did someone do a new A-10 along the way that I missed? Or has one been announced? The only ones I'm aware of are Mongram one and the early HB one.

Cheers!

Graeme

First out of the gate was Tamiya in around 1978.

Then came Revell (the old Revell) in around 1979. Best avoided.

Then ESCI, also best avoided.

Monogram's came out in the mid- to late 1980s. Still the best A-10 shape-wise, albeit with raised panel lines and open decelerons.

Italeri and HB date from the past decade or so. Much easier to build than Monogram, but not as accurate in either case.

For my money, you can't beat Monogram with the available resin goodies to fix the intakes and decelerons.

will anyone redo this kit and make it more accurate in 1/48?

I have been praying that some Mfg's will hear my cries for this as well. One such Mfg. I would like to see take on this request would be GWH/Lion Roar. Also on the wish list is an A-10 kit that includes parts to make an "A" or "C" variant. We can only hope!

-Mark

Based on my experience with the Monogram 'hogs, the original release was a gem as far as fit and assembly, however over the years the molds are showing their age, and the fit is not as good; especially around the wing/fuselage join; and the empennage/fuselage a few other minor areas, as with a recent build I did, plasticard and putty were needed to fill some gaps, other than that the kit is still holding it's own against other offerings. If you're a very detail oriented builder may I suggest the TD cockpit set in 1/48th as a good and inexpensive replacement for the kit parts.

Edited by #1 Greywolf

I built the Monogram kit and, while more subtly shaped, it was horrendous for fit at the wings the horizontal stab and the engine intakes. I sanded off most of the raised detail in the build process. Plus I had to close the speed brakes - not intuitive. The Blackbox/True Details cockpit is great but hard to fit over the nose well, it required some creative sanding. It is in the paint shop, but it has been a 15 year odyssey. Sorry not a fan.

I picked up the Italeri kit for a song because it was "unbuildable". I like it better than the Monogram kit and the Hobby Boss kit which I also looked at buying. It needs new fans and a True details cockpit, but it is quite nice. The decal sheet is great. I will likely take a few swipes with a sanding stick to make the nose rounder in profile, but with recessed lines, the detail will be easier to restore. Get the special addition and it includes resin details for the cockpit and engine.