Is the Academy MiG-29 really so bad?

I was speaking of the 9-12. Those are listed as being available (early), or (late). What are the "external" differences? Flogger-A only.

"It's certainly not the MiG-29 that we know, with its smaller rudders, no overwings chaff/flares dispensers, small ventral fins below the stabilizers, different mudguard and totally different camouflage (green-darkgreen-sand-cinnamon and lightblue)."

http://www.mig.mariwoj.pl/mig-29.htm

So the trees in kit 4814 and kit 4811 are different than, is what you are saying. I have been looking on the web at all the kit lay-out pictures I can find and I can not see a difference in between the two kit box content.

So the trees in kit 4814 and kit 4811 are different than, is what you are saying. I have been looking on the web at all the kit lay-out pictures I can find and I can not see a difference in between the two kit box content.

These are the differences in the actual aircraft between the initial "early" production and the "late" standard; the article also mentions the later "early" production aircraft. I don't have the kits and cannot vouch what production standard the GWH decided to present with their early type exactly.

If you want to compare the kits, you can compare the kit instructions directly:

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/image/10249505z10/70/10

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/image/10201807z10/70/10

For instance, I can see the "prototype" mudguards and ventral fits are included in the "early" kit; the rudders also seem different, but I can't judge if they're extended or not. The chaff/flare dispensers are included, but marked as optional - either not mounted at all, or mounted with only the root chords extensions and without the actual dispensers. So, everything, but the initial paint scheme/markings is included.

But, why do you insist on these differences for a Czech bird? It was already suggested to use the "late" kit. The "early" ones were not exported anyway.

Edited by ijozic

Since I have all except the initial 9.12 Late & SMT, I can state that the 9.12 Early kit includes all the sprues from the 9.12 Late (my boxing being the one on the special Luftwaffe scheme). In place of 4 R-73 missiles (sprue P), the early one replaces a pair with R-60 missiles (sprue N) and includes Sprue F which has the ventral fins (F1/F2), the 'prototype' mudguard (F3/F4), the larger headrest for the ejection seat (F5/F6/F7), fin leading edge caps (F8/F9) if not using the flare/chaff dispensers, RSBN IFF antenna (F10), and two hinged rods (F11/F12) which I don't see mentioned in the instructions.

Best of all, the 9.12 Early kit includes all the corrected sprues (the Luftwaffe 9.12 Late only includes some of the revisions on the sprues).

Regards,

With some work, some aftermarket parts and some Elbow grease, Academy Mig 29 can be build into decent model.. You have to use, QB nose, Aires, C-pit, Wheel Weels and Exhausts maybe some eduard exterior PE parts...

and then build it, rescribed some panels...

With some work, some aftermarket parts and some Elbow grease, Academy Mig 29 can be build into decent model.. You have to use, QB nose, Aires, C-pit, Wheel Weels and Exhausts maybe some eduard exterior PE parts...

and then build it, rescribed some panels...

Here is a proof. It took me some time but I managed to finish these three.

Three Fulcrums

Edited by solher1

Since I have all except the initial 9.12 Late & SMT, I can state that the 9.12 Early kit includes all the sprues from the 9.12 Late (my boxing being the one on the special Luftwaffe scheme). In place of 4 R-73 missiles (sprue P), the early one replaces a pair with R-60 missiles (sprue N) and includes Sprue F which has the ventral fins (F1/F2), the 'prototype' mudguard (F3/F4), the larger headrest for the ejection seat (F5/F6/F7), fin leading edge caps (F8/F9) if not using the flare/chaff dispensers, RSBN IFF antenna (F10), and two hinged rods (F11/F12) which I don't see mentioned in the instructions.

Best of all, the 9.12 Early kit includes all the corrected sprues (the Luftwaffe 9.12 Late only includes some of the revisions on the sprues).

Regards,

With the two links from "Ijozic" I have found out that also. That is EXACTLY what I wanted to know. OK now it's time to spend some money. "Damn you, damn all of you"BANGHEAD2.jpgcrying.gif

OK guys, you just MADE ME spend $47 including shipping for one of these. I really hope it's worth it.expl.gifwhistle.gif But I have decided to keep my Academy kit also and try to build that two using this model as a template.

Edited by Otto

Got to say I thought the GWH version was a fantastic kit to build, apart from the photo etched seat belts..... made a right dogs breakfast of that.

The rest goes together beautifully, even though it is puzzling to include two lovely engines that you'll never see, but with a bit of creativity it would form a great diorama.

OK guys, you just MADE ME spend $47 including shipping for one of these. I really hope it's worth it.expl.gifwhistle.gif But I have decided to keep my Academy kit also and try to build that two using this model as a template.

You won't regret it, and using it as a template is a good idea.

OK guys, you just MADE ME spend $47 including shipping for one of these. I really hope it's worth it.

Which boxing did you buy? The price is excellent by the way... where did you get it? I almost pulled the trigger on another MiG-29 9-12 Early.

Regards,

Edited by sharkmouth

$47 for the GWH kit is the bargain of the century. As I said, IMHO it's the best 1/48 jet kit ever done by anyone, anywhere.

Exactly, I would not even waste time considering whether to pay $47 with shipping for this kit if I had such an option; heck, I'd probably get two at least :) (but, with taxes and shipping it's practically double that which is too much for a small-ish 1/48 plane since I already have two Academy ones with some aftermarket waiting).

Edited by ijozic
Here is the good thread about Academy's MiG-29 assembly with the airframe corrections

It's in Russian, but at least you can see the pictures and comparison with drawings

My link

Thank you Kons74, that is a great article on the work needed to make Academy's kit into a near accurate MiG-29 9-13. Definitely a lot of dedication and hard work back in 2007.

Regards

Everybody knows Monogram/Revell's 1/48 MiG-29 is the most accurate!

I actually picked up one at my local hobby store a year or two ago, since they were selling for $10. Sure, it's horribly, horribly inaccurate, but not bad for a quick build of a medium-sized 1/48 model. I still remember Verlinden's correction set for it. You pretty much had to take a meat cleaver to the model because the dimensions were so off, and so many fictional or exaggerated details.

But at least it made Academy's MiG-29 look good by comparison. With GWH's Fulcrums, now...much better off getting those.

Everybody knows Monogram/Revell's 1/48 MiG-29 is the most accurate!

I actually picked up one at my local hobby store a year or two ago, since they were selling for $10. Sure, it's horribly, horribly inaccurate, but not bad for a quick build of a medium-sized 1/48 model. I still remember Verlinden's correction set for it. You pretty much had to take a meat cleaver to the model because the dimensions were so off, and so many fictional or exaggerated details.

Here it is with Verlinden's "correction" set applied.

1:48 Monogram MiG 29

I always remember the final line in the film "Absence of Malice" when the journalist asks if the story is true and gets the reply: "no, but it's accurate".

Built many many years ago...

:cheers:

Darius