EA-6B FRANKEN PROWLER ( first kinetic model ever and last)

Hello again, i am back with a new proyect or it is better to call it CHALLENGE, while i wait for the extra toys for this model (after market stuff), i will tell a brief description of this model:

FITTING: POOR and some times disastrous

DETAILS: poorly engraved panel lines and rivets are barely visible

DECALS: Nice one as always per cartograph, but not will be used on this one

So as i said, while waiting for the cool stuff i decided to start working on different parts of the airplane, so i started with the inner wings, the fit is ok but this part of the wings are to simple so i did some riveting on the top and bottom to give them some life

IMG_7310_zpshfb3mcxq.jpg

The fuselage details need to be engraved all around again , you can see on this picture the difference between the original one (top one) and the already re paneled and re riveted ( bottom one)

IMG_7307_zps3r2vylli.jpg

Also on top of the fuselage i did the same and brings some life to the model

IMG_7308_zpshjpk1vqp.jpg

OK FIRST BIIIG FITTING PROBLEM, the wing to fuselage union is horrible as you can see in this to pictures

IMG_7311_zpswbwhxyll.jpg

IMG_7312_zpsu34o4jg8.jpg

I found out if you sand the shaded area with pencil you will get a much better fit and also you will get the correct dihedral angle of the wing

IMG_7313_zpsdymdkdvg.jpg

after it was sanded here is the fitting now ( i did it on the right side wing to fuselage union)

IMG_7314_zpsjyo2f1g0.jpg

IMG_7315_zpst4chktxp.jpg

so far this is what i have done, in the next days i will post some more pictures of this work

Jorge

Edited by jorge Oppenheimer

Jorge,

Talk about a Challenge. This beast will surely test your skills to the limit. I'm most impressed with your scrbing and riveting. The end results are simply amazing. I'll be following along right to completion as the EA-6B, being a Grumman aircraft, is a must build down the road for me.

Just one question as your rivet lines are so straight, are you using a riveting wheel run along a metal quide?

Joel

Jorge,

First and foremost, excellent choice in subject!

I've only built one Kinetic kit, an F-16D Block 52+. Sadly, for the very reasons you've started documenting above, it will be my last. This despite the really nice subjects like 1/48 E-2C and S-2. As you've described, I spent some amount of time figuring out how I was going to fix a number of build problems. Sadly for me, I didn't look deep enough into the build to see the full nature of the problem in a couple of instances. My other comment is about the decals. I used Caracal decals for a majority of my build with a few from the Kinetic sheet. The Caracal decals were flawless. The Kinetic refueling door marking decal suffered silvering with its larger clear portions. The no-step outlines were quite delicate...in all fairness that is the nature of those.

Best of luck. While this is already fighting you, I'm certain the effort you're demonstrating above in will result in an outstanding build.

hahahaha, Joel for sure this will be my first and last Kinetic model, but i want this grumman bird so badly that a have to go through the pain of a bad designed model in the fit sense

About the rivets, the ones on the fuselage comes with the model but barely visible so what i am doing is just punching the holes where they supposed and the i use small drill to make them round, the ones on the wings, yes i am using a riveting whell from trumpeter, just draw the lines with a pencil then go over the line with the whell with a steady pulse, at least i still have good pulse

Dnl42, i agree with you, at least a got a perfect fitting of the fuselage and wings so far, tomorrow i will post some pictures of it

Jorge

The EA-6B and E-2 were among Kinetics first offerings and indeed suffer from fit problems and inconsistent engraved details. More recent Kinetic release though show they have matured and are known to be using different designers now vs. 'back then'. Eager to see their new Sea Harrier FRS.1, their recent Mirage IIIs are very nice.

Metroman, i hope they will improve the molding and design, but one thing for sure i will not try them again, i will finish this one cause i love this airplane as all the grumman design

Thanks Crackerjazz i will try my best to turn it into a nice looking model

Jorge

Jorge, I have no doubt that you can work your magic on this one. I've heard plenty about this kit to know better than to take a stab at it. In fact, I had it once and sold it after seeing all the issues with another build. I admire your determination, and certainly understand your desire to build a Prowler. Seriously cool airplane!

Small update, finished all the rivet work on both sides of the fuselage, and after sanding and fitting the wing to the fuselage i got a perfect match on both sides.

Next step will be adding some rivets to the outer wings and rescribing all the panel lines

Here are some pics of the wing and fuselage glued together

IMG_7319_zps7yakextu.jpg

IMG_7320_zps1l3h94nt.jpg

IMG_7321_zpsh9sjih5a.jpg

Gorgeous work on that beastie....I have it in my stash and an avionix pit as well :D

I've put together a few kinetics kits and the newer arent half bad fit wise...the Kfir went together nicely and was fully comparable to the AMK kit of the same subject (I have a comparative build thread out there somewhere) so theybhave improved heaps since the early subjects like the vipers and Prowler....I even hear real praise about their AMX. Just sayin' ;)

Jorge,

Now that's some outstanding modeling to get the inner wings to fit that way. As for the riveting and rescribing, you're a master at it. I still shy away from repairing all but the most prevalent panel lines. And some of those I just leave as is.

Joel

Jorge,

Your detailing, painting, and weathering skills really came through with the landing gear. Just super impressive. The use of not only a black oily wash, but the rust really looks very convincing. As usual your builds are in a class by themselves.

I do have one question. On the main landing gear on the right side of the photo, there is a piston which I'm assuming raises and lower the gear, but the shaft that moves inside the housing is painted white rather then being a polished metal alloy. Is it supposed to be that way?

Joel

Edited by Joel_W

jajajajajaja, Gonzalo, dont blame it on me, if you love scribing and riveting to make it look like a nice model, then welcome to the real world, be patient when you put together the wing and fuselage, so far i cant tell you much, one nice thing is the belly piece will come together perfectly with the fuselage

Jorge

Edited by jorge Oppenheimer

jajajajajaja, Gonzalo, dont blame it on me, if you love scribing and riveting to make it look like a nice model, then welcome to the real world, be patient when you put together the wing and fuselage, so far i cant tell you much, one nice thing is the belly piece will come together perfectly with the fuselage

Jorge

I was inspired by your build! Really nice my friend.