EA-6B FRANKEN PROWLER ( first kinetic model ever and last)

So here i am, trying to improve the navy looks on the prowler, working on the stabilators, also i was experimenting on how to achieve the texture of the walkways on this model, cause it have lotsss of walkways al over it so i thought it will look better with some texture instead of plain dark paint

To me it look very convincing the walkway textures

_MG_0929_zpsbcvetgr8.jpg

_MG_0930_zpstc9pu9dn.jpg

the fuselage is all closed and primed in black waiting his turn for the paint shop

_MG_0931_zpsnxawytto.jpg

_MG_0934_zpsbzzcpg83.jpg

thanks Steve and John, Red Crown here is a link on the technique i am using for this one, of course i do some other stuff like once is painted i dusted with brown and black tamiya weathering compound then i grab the airbrush and paint slightly with the color faded just a bit with white over the dusted parts in random patterns so they look like spots

black basing

Jorge

Joel it is easy, you need this two things

IMG_7471_zpsskwwpeci.jpg

you mask the area you wish for the walkway then just dip the tip of the brush in Mr surfacer and remove the excess on a piece of cardboard and start tipping the area with the brush, if it is to thick, just wait a minute to start drying then tip it again with the brush till you get the desired texture

leave the mask on, after it dries in about 5 minutes just paint it with the desired color, mine needs to be lighter i will fix it tonight this was just a test for the rest of the airplane, this sucker have miles and miles of walkways that is why i went with texture so it look more real than just dark stripes of panited walkways

Hope my explanation is clear, you know english sometimes is hard for me jejejeje

Jorge

Edited by jorge Oppenheimer

you,re welcome John, hope it work for you, i lightened the paint on the walkways so it wont look so dark, this weekend i will post some pictures, also i toned down the panel lines

Jorge

Joel, the first i did was a hard contrast of the black walkway and the gray, after looking at some pictures of the real thing i went this way cause the walk ways are just a little darker than the gray of the airplane( as you can see on this pictures), and i still need to do lots of walkways on top of the prowler

ea6b_prowler_rvandermeulen_zpsbamk6b8a.jpg

1324089627156297104_zpsurfguyxm.jpg

Jorge

• 2 weeks later...

i am back again, finally found the mood to sit down and do some modeling, this christmas have been kind of sad cause on christmas day i broke up with my girfriend after 3 years of relation, but any way the airbrushing bug is starting to bite me again

So far i started with the fuselage paint job, still need to add some weathering on the center section, the nose section will stay as is cause prowlers dont get that messy on the forward fuselage, still need to add 2 more walkways next to the vertcial stab

_MG_1122_zps0af1e979.jpg

_MG_1126_zpsn76nvcou.jpg

_MG_1127_zpsmipdzo1j.jpg

_MG_1125_zpsy1tgjiun.jpg

Hi Jorge

Beautiful work so far, you are doing an amazing job! I was wondering if you were able to get the pictures back in your 1st post? They don't seem to be displaying anymore. I just want to see them as I have this kit as well and want to know how to fix the wing fit issue.

Cheers

Mike

Jorge,

I certainly stand corrected. Based on those pictures, you really nailed those walkways. And your pre-shading which is more like a modified black basing technique certainly results in a most authentic weathered paint finish.

Joel

i had this kit and I gave up on it. After seeing yours done I sure am kickin myself in the A$$ for not finishing it. Maybe one day I will get the nerve to get it again and seeing what you did with it actually finish it. Fantastic work!