EA-6B FRANKEN PROWLER ( first kinetic model ever and last)

So i have finished the rest of the top side of the fuselage, and after spending the hole morning deliberating about decal or paint for the Hawk on the tail, i went for the easiest one paint, it dont look that bad, it gives some personality to the prowler

_MG_1127_zpsybdl7ywt.jpg

_MG_1130_zpsvsvpp07b.jpg

_MG_1132_zpsy2g3bdlx.jpg

_MG_1135_zpsv9xtufi5.jpg

Edited by jorge Oppenheimer

Some people bash the low-vis schemes as "boring," you've shown its anything but. On the contrary if you're into weathering, have confidence with an airbrush it actually can be one of the most interesting and eye catching schemes to paint.

Jorge,

Awesome work with that airbrush but then again, I've seen your work before and and have grown accustomed to this level of perfection. As another member requested, maybe a quick "Painting" tutorial for the TPS scheme you applied to this bird would be in order for the rest of us who aren't so skilled with the brush......it would be much appreciated! BTW, if I'm not mistaken, it looks like you tried representing fresh sealant application on the rear starboard side of the jet (by the Navy) decal. If so, great touch! I've wanted to simulate that look on previous builds, specifically my F-4S, but didn't invest enough time figuring out how to represent the sealant without screwing things up. F-4s usually have the high temp red sealant applied all over the rear stabilizers and exhaust area and is almost always very visible.

Good luck with the rest of the build, finish line is just around the corner. You've done a great job with a very difficult starting base.

Elmo

Hello Jorge,

Yes, that exactly. As I can't see either your model or decal up close, I assume the decal manufacturer made an attempt to simulate sealant application around the panels in that area. Sealant application is a very common process to inhibit corrosion by preventing moisture intrusion and often seen as a dark gray bead around the periphery of some panels. Most of the time you don't notice it because the sealant is covered by the paint topcoat but sometimes you will if it's done post topcoat.

Elmo

Totally and Utterly STUNNED!!!!!!! Amazing looking Prowler! You definitely made the Kinetics shot at a beauty a true BEAUTY!!!!! Cant wait to see her all dressed up with folded wings, and canopy!

This is a stunning build!! Amazing job.

As for the black hash marks, they are part of the details that the squadron added to show of the 'FrankenProwler' concept. This jet was rebuilt from 2 broken Prowlers and the long set of tick marks was where the 2 fuselages were mated.

Here's a few reference shots we used for the decals. I believe they came from Nick Kessel.

503%20S%20Tail_zps8a5tca6q.jpg

503%20L%20Tail_zpsinx4ydbt.jpg

503%20P%20Nose_zpsrge7qgeu.jpg

Bryan, thanks for the history on this aircfart, yes i read that it was rebuilt using parts of two other prowlers, i know my hawk on the tail had to be gray, but i painted it in black to get away from all that gray, i know the real bird didnt look like mine, but for my shelf it will look pretty good with the black hawk

Jorge

Ps: thanks for the kind comments on my prowler, its been hard to make a nice model out of the kinetic prowler