Still being a new guy but out of my rookie stage, they put me on midnight foot patrol around the senior NCO hooch area.

It wasn't long before I saw someone creeping around the wall of their area, trying to keep out of sight. I challenged him according to our rules of engagement, and the race was on. As I chased him I thought that the rules needed to be altered slightly and just use one language instead of both.

At full speed he turned left and ran through a gap in the wall and I was right behind him. I turned into the gap and a few seconds later....

I really wish they had told me about the clothes lines strung out by the basketball court.

I hit that thing at full speed and caught it in my throat.

I remember hearing my rifle hit the pavement. Then I remember opening me eyes with no idea how long since impact, and wondering if he came back or was on his way back. I looked over and found my weapon, layed there for a few more seconds looking at the lights on in most of the hooches and wondered why nobody came out to see what happened.

They could have all been out drinking and picking up pooyings. If not, thanks for the support.

Hi,

Thanks for the stories, ikar.

I'm still amazed at the one where someone left a cleaning rod in the barrel of your M-16. Sounds pretty close to manslaughter to me.

Were the bases in Thailand ever attacked for real like the sapper and mortar attacks on places like Da Nang and Bien Hoa?

Or is it more likely that the culprit you were pursuing here was looking to steal something?

Cheers, Stefan.

He was probably a thief, we had tons of them, civilian as well as military. Couple stories there.

All the bases were subject to sapper attacks and some were also attacked by mortors and rockets, but the primary method was local sappers. We also had sabotage attempts, not always by their best. The Thai Army had its hands full out in the country side and especially up north. A couple stories there two.

As we'd get reports from other bases through intel. they would also send copies of the photos taken later. 8X10 B/W glossies, but sometimes quite graphic.

We were under orders that when we got haircuts it would be with at least two others and on duty. One would stay with the vehicle and its machinegun and the other would standby with both rifles. If there was no mounted weapon, all three would go inside but one would keep an eye on the jeep as well.

This was because after a sapper attempt one night, one of the bases had to hire new barbers. The worst part was when they used a straight edge razor to trim around your ears and go down the back of your neck.

Anybody see Sweeny Todd?

I'm not sure if I ever got over that or not, I just stopped having it done as a civilian.

Thanks, ikar.

It is the first time I hear about the sapper attacks inside Thailand. Looking at a map, I'd guess Nakhom Phanom was certainly at risk.

I had heard about trouble in Northern Thailand at the time, including a few sorties against communist guerillas by RAF Hunters. That was late 1973, if I remember correctly. Maybe the Thais made a request to the Brits after your cut-off date of 15th August...

Cheers, Stefan.