New/Different T-45 Scheme

Noticed this guy while driving past the flight line earlier today. Looks like "True Blue" FS 15102 in place of the typical international orange ares. I think the modex number is 265, not sure of the BuNo.

IMG_1350_zpsxfcuwnvf.jpg

IMG_1350%20-%20Copy_zpsvi5ismtt.jpg

IMG_1351_zpsejglcavp.jpg

IMG_1351%20-%20Copy_zpsp9zwsvpe.jpg

Edited by 82Whitey51
:hmmm: makes ya wonder how they're using it as an adversary or practicing and developing strike tactics with the T-45 in maybe an -A-45 profile similar to how they worked it when transitioning from the F-4/A-7 to the F/A-18 :whistle: . I remember reading somewhere that, they were flying the bugs using Corsair/Phantom profiles, which were disappointing until they changed and flew the sorties purely with Bug attributes and VOILA!!!!...look what we can do now!!. I do like the blue on it, gives it more zing IMHO :D . Edited by #1 Greywolf

:hmmm:/>/> makes ya wonder how they're using it as an adversary or practicing and developing strike tactics with the T-45 in maybe an -A-45 profile similar to how they worked it when transitioning from the F-4/A-7 to the F/A-18 :whistle:/>/> . I remember reading somewhere that, they were flying the bugs using Corsair/Phantom profiles, which were disappointing until they changed and flew the sorties purely with Bug attributes and VOILA!!!!...look what we can do now!!. I do like the blue on it, gives it more zing IMHO :D/>/> .

That's not VX-23's job. They don't do tactics development - that is NSAWC's job. VX-23 is aircraft and system developmental test. The paint is just a squadron thing, like the blue-tail FA-18F from a few years back.

Edited by Joe Hegedus

That's not VX-23's job. They don't do tactics development - that is NSAWC's job. VX-23 is aircraft and system developmental test. The paint is just a squadron thing, like the blue-tail FA-18F from a few years back.

Joe, I need a walk around on that bird...wanna build it :) Are you over there?

Looking at the Caracal T-45 sheet, it's plenty do-able, just need to change the BuNo and Modex number.

Nice looking T-45 ... :thumbsup:/>

Could this be a camera platform for weapons separation tests, etc?

-Gregg

VX-23 doesn't have dedicated camera airplanes for chase; they use whatever jet is available, and a T-45 has never been used to chase a weapons test to my knowledge (they may have used another T-45 to chase the T-45 sep tests, but that was before my time and I doubt if they did it then anyway - there's only 2 or 3 Goshawks here and they have their own work to do. Even during the T-45 FSD they only had 2 or 3 jets). If it was anything other than a standard T-45 with the orange replaced by blue I'd be very surprised.

Whitey, I'm at the range, not VX-23 anymore but if you contact Gerry, Ryan, or Jan they may be able to help you out.

Last info I have is that the two Pax jets are (or were?) 201/165080 and 205/163635

The modex may be 205...iPhone pic from too far away.

I'm sure they did the paint "in-house", easy enough to do at the local level vice getting the depot to do it special for you.

Thanks Joe! I'll talk to Ryan at the mtg Thursday.

Empty back seat which should be considered a crime.

Yeah at Pax River, but not if you're a nugget...doing a solo hop trying to get those much desired "wings of gold", ya can't have big bro forever, even if your knees sound like a telegraph send/receive unit :woot.gif: :lol: . I know guys who would give up next months rent payment, mom's Christmas cookies, and a good address on Pennsylvania Ave for a back seat jaunt.

Edited by #1 Greywolf

I can confirm it is 205/163635

Alright, cool. Thanks for the intel. :)/>/>

Now I need you to get me the FS number on that blue brother!

FS 15102? T-45A or C?

Edited by 82Whitey51

Alright, cool. Thanks for the intel. :)/>/>/>

Now I need you to get me the FS number on that blue brother!

FS 15102? T-45A or C?

As the only real difference between an A and a C is the instrument panels (guages vs. digital displays), it really doesn't matter. Close the darn canopy and press on.

T-45C. Only Kingsville has the remaining As.

I think Pax still has one A model, BuNo 1628788/side no. 202. The oldest remaining T-45, second bird built. This one had non-standard intakes fitted for a test program (10 years or so ago now) and, as far as I know, hasn't had them returned to the standard. Jan or Ryan, can you confirm?

I thought Pax had only the two, didn't realize the old intake mod was still installed from the first go around all those years ago. The angled intakes were planned part of surge mitigation. As it turns out it's back in the pipeline now, the new upgraded engine fell through due to cost even though it was already flight tested.

As the only real difference between an A and a C is the instrument panels (guages vs. digital displays), it really doesn't matter. Close the darn canopy and press on.

Close the canopy?! Who does that?!

I think Pax still has one A model, BuNo 1628788/side no. 202. The oldest remaining T-45, second bird built. This one had non-standard intakes fitted for a test program (10 years or so ago now) and, as far as I know, hasn't had them returned to the standard. Jan or Ryan, can you confirm?

I think there are only two left at VX-23. The info I got was 202 was stricken sometime in FY13. The others were transferred.

I think there are only two left at VX-23. The info I got was 202 was stricken sometime in FY13. The others were transferred.

Any idea what became of 202 then - like where it went, etc.? Museum, gate guard somewhere, or what?