MiG-25 versus MiG-31

I'll start off with the disclaimer that 1) I'm not a rivet counter so 100% accuracy isn't my whole life and 2) my in depth knowledge of Russian aircraft is the thickness of a page

So, hopefully having headed off a lot of caustic replies with that, the question I want to ask is whether the forthcoming AMK MiG-31 kit could potentially be used to help produce a correction set for the generally panned Kinetic MiG-25 kit. As I understand it one of the biggest criticisms was the totally absent intake trunking and ramps, and the exhausts.

Would the parts from the AMK kit be similar enough to the MiG-25 shapes to be adapted, or at least used to make moulds for the basis of corrective parts?

Cheers

Edited by lesthegringo
Fair enough, just wondered if there was a way to salvage the MiG-25 kit. Looks like we'll have to wait for AMK to decide to do one

There is, it is hard work but possible. There is a thread covering most of the issues elsewhere on this site and Britmodeller. For me, due to the sharkmouth scheme, my main concern was the nose with the lower rear fuselage radii not being so important since it is obstructed by wings, pylons, weapons, and landing gear. I am using the Eduard sets although it was mentioned wheels were coming out for the kit but I've yet to see them. I put my kit on the shelf (away from the dreaded Shelf of Doom) as I await delivery of some new goodies for it.

At the moment, I am easily fixing the angled main landing gear bays on a Trumpeter 72nd scale Flanker since some people have stated this was the reason not to get the kit.

Regards,

If you aren't too concerned about counting rivets, the Kitty Hawk Mig-25 is actually not that bad. I bought it when it was released because it was the epitome of a menacing Soviet brute for a Cold War kid. I waited a long tine to finally work on it because of all the horror stories I saw online. The britmodeller build was very helpful in the worst part of the kit, the awful fit of the fuselage halves and intakes. Once you carefully fit them together and take your time with some clamps and maybe some styrene tabs, the build is straight forward from there.

If you are like me and have never seen a mig-25 in real life, it looks sinister enough to put on the shelf.

although it was mentioned wheels were coming out for the kit but I've yet to see them.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'm as anxious as anyone to get them. Intake trunks and exhausts, too.

One thing to note: there is a prominent and oft-referenced build on one of the major blogs (Osprey's?), that suggests cutting the exhaust tubes in half. Don't. The depth of the exhausts is actually pretty close, even if everything else about them is pooched.

I'm as anxious as anyone to get them. Intake trunks and exhausts, too.

Lucky for me, the Eduard set includes FOD intake covers to hide the lack of trunking. New exhaust cans would be nice or I'd cover them up as well. I did find a set or 48th scale wheels by Armory. No idea about the quality.

Regards,

Armory's resin is gorgeous!! Buy with confidence!!!

Click2detail do burners for the Mig-25, in both long and short versions. They aren't meant for any articular kit, being upscaled from their initial 1/72 version. They are fabulous, IMO!!!

M

Armory's resin is gorgeous!! Buy with confidence!!!

Thank you for that as it will boost my confidence about buying it. I would like to know if it is accurate since I am believing you're impressed by the reproduction (which is important too).

Click2detail do burners for the Mig-25, in both long and short versions. They aren't meant for any articular kit, being upscaled from their initial 1/72 version. They are fabulous, IMO!!!

My experience with directly bought 3D printed products has not been very good under close scrutiny. What I am referring to are artifacts and ridges. Both were apparent on the armor products I bought so I could get away with it but something that should be as smooth as sheet metal is something I don't know if the 3D printed approach is the best one.

Regards,