I started working on this neat little kit over the weekend. It is a direct copy of the excellent 1/48 kit, and thus features tons of beautiful details.

I started with the cockpit, which is probably the best 1/72 pit I've ever seen.

You may notice that the seat bottoms are part of the tub. I have yet to add the backs.

IMG_20151010_101855177_HDR_zps4kzqiv1w.jpg

The cockpit was added to the fuselage and the two halves were closed.

IMG_20151011_202809405_HDR_zpsq68asnfx.jpg

There was a good deal of sanding along the midline (but not much putty was needed). One common complaint against raised panel lines is that they're difficult to reconstruct. Not so. Just run a knife blade across the line. This causes a ridge of plastic to rise on either side of the cut. Coat the ridges with cement to fuse them and voilĂ ! Instant panel line.

Here is an example.

IMG_20151012_205623786_HDR_zpsmrtcj995.jpg

There was a big chunk of the tail missing from my kit. I replaced it with the tail tip from a Hasegawa kit. Not a perfect match, so a goodly amount of Mr. White Putty went on.

IMG_20151012_215313820_HDR_zps7ib9ovwg.jpg

The dreaded intakes are next.

Edited by RKic

Nice to see such attention to the old girl. Another way to reset those raised lines after the cut is to just rub the line back and forth.

Another thing I want to try on a raised line kit (as long as the detail is accurate) is to micromesh over the line so it comes through the paint, as long as the plastic is a good color. Been wanting to do this with the 1/48 Monogram A-10.

Thanks guys.

HAJO, maybe it was just a very short guy flying? :)

Thadeus, the raised lines actually look more like the lapped panels on a real phantom, than recessed panels. I grew up with raised panel lines though. So to each his own. :)

Phasephantomphixer, I tried what you're suggesting. I primed the model with a tough autobody black enamel and then painted with acrylics. The micromeshing cleaned the panel lines, but also removed some paint elsewhere, and made the model look a little dirty. I guess it works if that is the effect you're after, but I prefer a clean look.

Nice work! I had that kit, one of the best 1/72 Phantoms

out there. Isn't that the kit that gives you the correct

NAVY version rear cockpit with the blanked off right side where

the refueling probe is? The only problem I remember having

was the burner cans. Looking good.---John

The intake fit wasn't great, but also not as terrible as I've been made to think.

Some filling requires on the starboard.IMG_20151017_140934656_HDR_zpsl8e9zzjr.jpg

But almost none at port

IMG_20151017_141006275_HDR_zpsx6d2ziad.jpg

These will look just fine after a little sanding.

I'm so pissed!

I was getting ready to paint the bare metal parts of the kit when I realized I'm missing one of the horizontal stabilizers. Where the heck am I going to get a replacement for a kit thats been OOP for 30 years?!? :crying:

Looking good Ralph! Found a solution for the missing stab yet? And which markings will it get?

One small thing, those antenna thingies on the intakes were a post war addition.