1/48 True Details F-4 Intakes no 48522 - External Length

I'm building a F-4EJ and decided to use a set of True Details intake, no 48522. I know they aren't the correct full internal length but externally they are significantly different in length as well.

TD is the top, Hasegawa plastic is the bottom

IMG_2675.jpg

Any idea whats up here? Are these not F-4E intakes but F-4B/C?

Edited by a4s4eva

Resin shrinkage.

Whoever's doing casting for True Details/Squadron has used the wrong resin. There are low shrinkage resins out there, which will only shrink by a percentage or two, but obviously whatever that was cast in is a lot worse. :( Probably doesn't help that the part is fairly dense, so there's more mass to deal with.

Nothing you can really do except try to get a replacement and hope that one's better, although I'd be surprised if things varied much from casting to casting. Only other option would be to try to 'nest' the resin intake inside the kit part. If it's that much smaller, it might slot in without too much fuss (though a fair bit of filler); otherwise, grind away the surface until it does fit inside the plastic part.

Resin shrinkage.

Whoever's doing casting for True Details/Squadron has used the wrong resin. There are low shrinkage resins out there, which will only shrink by a percentage or two, but obviously whatever that was cast in is a lot worse. :(/> Probably doesn't help that the part is fairly dense, so there's more mass to deal with.

Nothing you can really do except try to get a replacement and hope that one's better, although I'd be surprised if things varied much from casting to casting. Only other option would be to try to 'nest' the resin intake inside the kit part. If it's that much smaller, it might slot in without too much fuss (though a fair bit of filler); otherwise, grind away the surface until it does fit inside the plastic part.

I don't know anything about resin casting/shrinkage, but if it is that it seems strange it's only shrunk in length. It's a perfect fit in profile and height.

Perhaps they are just wrong......