This movie was on tonight and I was shocked by how many big names were in it. Off hand I saw Sean Connery, Micheal Caine, Anthony Hopkins, Robert Redford, Gene Hackman, and John Ratzenberger (sp) of Cheers and Pixar fame. Is there anyone else I missed?

Edited by Darren Roberts

Laurence Olivier

Maximilian Schell

Dirk Bogarde

Liv Ullman

Edward Fox

Hardy Kruger

Ridhard Attenborough

Ken

What role did Ken play ??? :rolleyes:

There's a full list of the actors on Wiki - millions of them !!

Also interesting is the many roles that the T6 Texan / Harvard played......

It was disguised to look like an RAF Tempest II, a USAAF P-47, a German FW-190 and (maybe?) a Fokker D-XXI

Also Ken

Great movie, the Waal River crossing scenes (Robert Redford) are my personal favorite. Right now I am a company commander, and in WWII the same company manned the assault boats that ferried 3rd Battalion, 504th across the river. Next week we will do our annual boat race event, which includes a demonstration by WWII reenactors with replica canvas boats.

Appreciated Anthony Hopkins' portrayal of Johnny Frost, but I thought the guy who played "Jumpin' Jim" Gavin really overdid things.

Agreed, Hopkins gave one of the stand-out performances among a stellar cast.

Critics panned the decision to cast Ryan O`Neal as General Gavin saying he was far too young to play a General, despite the fact that Gavin was 37 years during `Market Garden` and O`Neal was 36 years when he portrayed him in the movie.

The critics of the day also panned several events portrayed in the movie as `unbelievable` despite the fact that they actually occurred (Gen. Urquhart getting trapped in a Dutch loft, for example). Said critics were more impressed by the same years` factual documentary `Star Wars` in which a peddle bin saves the universe from a planet-sized space station.

But yes, O`Neal did somewhat over-egg the pudding at times.

Cheers, Ian :beer4:

I can finish the nothing for you, officially retired this year. I have 10 models

finished this year, before that it would take 10 to 12 years to build that many.

Let me know how much nothing I can do to help you out, not a problem.---John

They don't make them like that anymore. WWII has become just another setting for romantic comedies.

We need stronger independent writers to get us back to history, sans the marketing and love stories.

Ken's purchase of a $2.50 movie ticket in 1977 made the movie a financial success.

Ken

This Canadian purchased his ticket while on vacation with my parents in Scotland in 1977. It was an exciting time for an 11 year-old seeing the world for his first time.

A Bridge Too Far, was a nicely done movie with as noted a very strong cast that really is a bit of a Hollywood Shocker! A rare movie about an Allied defeat in WWII,Operation Market Garden.

To be as well written, casted, filmed and edited based on a Allied loss only makes it more endearing.

WWII was not a walk in the park, kick some Nazi A** and beat down some Imperial Japan butts either! Yes, movies about Allied victories are a plenty and are good for historical morale reference. But A Bridge Too Far is an equal for us to look back in the day via Hollywood and see our respected Allied forces did not just roll up sleeves and kick butt. WWII was a 6 year slug fest.

Edited by Gordon Shumway

They don't make them like that anymore. WWII has become just another setting for romantic comedies.

We need stronger independent writers to get us back to history, sans the marketing and love stories.

Yes, cut back on artistic license, love fests. And write, cast, film and edit WWII type movies to reflect the real war and also do not add or write in the BULLFLOP REVISIONIST JUNK EITHER!

cough cough, If I'm President Harry Truman in July '45, I'M ALSO OK'ING THE DROPPING OF A'BOMBS ON JAPANESE CITIES!!! I'd have also slept like a baby the night after I'd ok the use of the A'Bombs. And HONESTLY in my real life I'm no war monger. I don't lust for spilling war blood and raking in monies via war greed.

Revisionists be damned though!

The A' bombs shortened the war by at least 8 months and with no need for an invasion of the Main Islands which would have killed likely 10s of millions more people on both sides.