Here are some QF-16 pictures that I took back in April at Tyndall AFB. I thought it was cool to see these in person. Sad they are drones, but better than rotting away in the desert. Hope you can find these useful. Thanks,

David

IMG_1054_zpsozdc19oy.jpg

IMG_1053_zpskxgwtsgo.jpg

IMG_1048_zpssoa2bose.jpg

IMG_1047_zpsssmxq9zg.jpg

IMG_0927_zpsxqbna9sa.jpg

IMG_0926_zpsq1n9diu0.jpg

IMG_0925_zpsokmsqltp.jpg

IMG_0924_zpsv8qyepdw.jpg

IMG_0745_zpsq29w7jx8.jpg

Was thinking the same about the paint schemes.

Don't know of F-16s ever having VN or Euro paint but would look good!

Although I'm fussy about authenticity it would be like commemorative schemes (I like the current Canadian F-18 in WWII paint).

If these survive like the F4s they'll need paint eventually.

If these survive like the F4s they'll need paint eventually.

Maybe not. Jake and I were there in May for Combat Archer to see the last of the QF-4s to be shot down at Tyndall, they looked pretty ratty. The Phantoms with the nice paint schemes were destined for Holloman.

YMJzYFE.jpg

tI1o0u3.jpg

we had dry weather when we were there...

ZPoGLYB.jpg

P9OmKYj.jpg

I was hoping to get to see the QRF-4 when I was there! Thanks for sharing those Habu. Is there anywhere that posts when Combat Archer is exactly. I always love going to the Gulf in the spring, just would be cool to know that. Thanks.

David

Here are some QF-16 pictures that I took back in April at Tyndall AFB. I thought it was cool to see these in person. Sad they are drones, but better than rotting away in the desert. Hope you can find these useful. Thanks,

David

[/url]

IMG_1053_zpskxgwtsgo.jpg

Is this a smoke system? Ex-Thunderbird? If not, what is this?

And what blocks are the ones in this post? I'm assuming 30's since they're GE-equipped?

-please pardon my ignorance here...I know this is probably a silly question.

Is this a smoke system? Ex-Thunderbird? If not, what is this?

And what blocks are the ones in this post? I'm assuming 30's since they're GE-equipped?

Yes it is a smoke system, not ex-Thunderbird - the TBirds only flew Pratt-powered F-16s. This was the first time I've seen the smoke system installed on a GE-powered Viper.

The QF-16s I saw were all early Block 30s (GE/NSI small mouth inlets) with the exception of one late model Block 15 F-16A (83-1110)

fliyywm.jpg

Edited by habu2

Yes it is a smoke system, not ex-Thunderbird - the TBirds only flew Pratt-powered F-16s. This was the first time I've seen the smoke system installed on a GE-powered Viper.

The QF-16s I saw were all early Block 30s (GE/NSI small mouth inlets) with the exception of one late model Block 15 F-16A (83-1110)

fliyywm.jpg

The QF-4s also have a smoke system. There was a short probe behind the left engine nozzle in about the same place it was on Thunderbird and Blue Angel Phantoms for putting oil in the exhaust stream to make the smoke. It was much shorter on the QF-4s though. They use the smoke for certain sorties to help people visually acquire the jet. It's been a few years since I talked to the QF-4 pilot who told me about it when I asked about it, and I don't remember the exact circumstances that they use the smoke for.

I remember those and it was stated by Bob those were fiction as at the time there wasn't any Viper drones. So, let hope someone will do current Tyndall markings. Btw, I don't suppose anyone seen what's different within the pit? Do these have a box like panel above the IP like on the F-4 phantoms? TIA

Btw, I don't suppose anyone seen what's different within the pit? Do these have a box like panel above the IP like on the F-4 phantoms? TIA

They have a few panels added to the cockpit, but you have to look very closely to spot anything different from a standard Viper.

Jake

They have a few panels added to the cockpit, but you have to look very closely to spot anything different from a standard Viper.

Jake

Not to forget that in 1/48 scale this will hardly be visible at all, let alone 1/72. 1/32 - maybe :coolio:

QF-16 only, it is apparently still available from Two Bobs

"What If" scheme of the next generation Full-Scale Aerial Target for the USAF. These aircraft will begin to start replacing the QF-4 target drones at Tyndall AFB in 2012.

Enough markings for two complete jets. One Block 15 and one Block 25 aircraft are represented on this sheet.

Recommended Kits:

Hasegawa F-16

Tamiya F-16

Kinetic F-16

Compare to the photos, definitely a WHIF

l_48-188f.jpg

48-188.jpg

Now those look cool, yeah to bad those are fiction. Perhaps, we'll get lucky as see a new set in near future with accurate markings. Btw, are those Block 30 or 40 with GE exhaust?

Edited by Youngtiger1

Two Bobs did decals a couple of years ago, not sure how accurate they are.

The TwoBobs sheets were for BAe's QF-16 bid. Bob works for BAe as his day job and he came up with the idea to do a decal sheet for one of the defense trade shows to help generate interest in BAe's bid. After the success of that project, he did the same sheet as a normal TwoBobs offering. But BAe unfortunately didn't win the QF-16 conversion contract, so those markings became obsolete. They still look nice though.

The TwoBobs sheets were for BAe's QF-16 bid. Bob works for BAe as his day job and he came up with the idea to do a decal sheet for one of the defense trade shows to help generate interest in BAe's bid. After the success of that project, he did the same sheet as a normal TwoBobs offering. But BAe unfortunately didn't win the QF-16 conversion contract, so those markings became obsolete. They still look nice though.

So who actually got the contract btw?? Not been keeping up with the news past couple of years with a baby in the house