Alclad Primer and Tamiya Acrylics

I should've checked this before buying....

I really wanted the Tamiya Fine Primer for the job, but being in Saudi Arabia would've meant waiting for up to 3 months <_</>

So I bought Alclad Primer instead. Will there be an issue with the Tamiya acrylics over the Alclad primer or do they play together nicely?

Edited by Cobus

I see now I worded my question poorly.

I need a black gloss coat for Alclad Chrome/Polished Aluminium, and I only have that in Tamiya acrylic.

So the question is: will covering the Alclad primer with Tamiya Gloss Black acrylic followed by the Alclad high shine paint work?

Yes. Eventually someone is going to come in here and tell you you have to have an enamel gloss black. You don't. I use Mr. Color, but people us Tamiya's gloss black too. They are all better than the Alclad gloss black base which has a bad reputation if you know how to Google.

I don't know if you have access to Krylon spray paint products. They come in a 12 oz. can. I have had great success with Krylon's gloss black for my black base coat for the Alclad Chrome and Polished Aluminum. I get mine at WalMart.

I need a black gloss coat for Alclad Chrome/Polished Aluminium, and I only have that in Tamiya acrylic.

So the question is: will covering the Alclad primer with Tamiya Gloss Black acrylic followed by the Alclad high shine paint work?

As I said before, I use Alcad 11 Gloss Black primer for my Alcad NMF's, but I've also used Tamiya Gloss Black Acrylic paint without any issues. You just have to make sure that the surface is smooth. Once dry, just polish it out. I use 4,000 through 12,000 micro mesh pads to achieve the smooth finish.

Joel

Yes, it works. My suggestion: while slying Tamiya gloss use Mr. thinner or Tamiya Laquer Thinner (Yellow cap) instead of Tamiya Acrylic thinner. It will dry faster and smoother and it similar to Laquer Thinner. In the past I used Tamiya Acrylic thinner and had the Aclad Chrome to crack after a few weeks----