Revell 1/48 Mosquito Mk.IV bomber discontinued?

I bought one of these kits the minute it was available at TLHS. Now it is next to impossible to find that kit. It had some major errors such as the Spinners, LG Legs, Wheels and possibly others. But I would have thought that most of these errors would be quite simple to fix. Any insight on this kit and its availability or the lack of? Is Revell re-doing this model? If so, will they provide the proper parts to those of us who have bought them? NOT!

I would imagine that it's been temporarily withdrawn from the catalogue and will be re-released in a couple of years. I emailed Quickboost to suggest replacement resin spinners, wheels can be replaced with Ultracast items.

It always baffles me when I read that. Why should they? The kit was sold as-is and if it's complete...

Vedran

The milimeter brigade

Than why pull it from the market in such a short time after release. I don't think it was available for even a year after it's release.

No, I can give you a 100% guarantee that Revell isn't going to "re-do" the model. The money is spent and the first production run is (apparently) sold out. They'd have zero reason to invest further money in it.

They may have done a production run of `X` number of units that would guarantee to cover costs, and the kits sold better then expected. Maybe they just didn`t make enough kits in the first place to fullfill demand and now they have to wait for a spot in the production line to open up so they can make more. They won`t/can't make every kit all the time.

If all the kits from a short production run A sold..I am sure you will see production run B to be a larger run.

Sean

• 2 weeks later...

Sold better than expected? That seems unlikely, or the market would by now be flooded with them... It has been a while now and the kit has long been known to be a horrible dog, with the actual worst feature being an absurd canopy (that is less widely known however).

More likely it is a dog kit that suffered a well-deserved drop into oblivion... There was nothing to be done to save it.

Robertson

Sold better than expected? That seems unlikely, or the market would by now be flooded with them... It has been a while now and the kit has long been known to be a horrible dog, with the actual worst feature being an absurd canopy (that is less widely known however).

More likely it is a dog kit that suffered a well-deserved drop into oblivion... There was nothing to be done to save it.

Robertson

The canopy point is new, but some details of the faults would help?

But while having errors, they all seemed fixable if you could be bothered with a few new bits, so I don't see how 'nothing could be done to save it'

I posted up some faults and tweaks in a recent thread here.

I assume 'Robertson' is the latest nom-de-plume version of Gaston Marty aka Sherwood?

You do make some interesting observation, some of which are correct(AM Avenger windscreen), some are wrong, and do tend to rather black/white view of kits.

You came up again while I was searching up info on the Airfix Spitfire XII and it's problems, see the recent thread here for some less destructive fixes.

Edited by Troy Smith

The bad stuff has been known since the beginning. The spinners which still have not been done as replacement by anyone The landing gear which is massively too short and the oversize tires. The canopy is a new one for me but there are enough vac canopies out there that that should be no issue. The strong points are the superior cockpit which you can't see anyway and the engine detail if you chose to display it.

I started one of these about a year ago and like most of my projects it now is sitting in its box on the shelf.

First off I believe that kit was first issued over 5 or more years ago. So to ask why it is gone so soon after it's release is kind of erroneous. They did the production run and it sold out. They have not re-popped it. It was a surprise though when they did re-issued a Mosquito recently but it was NOT this new tool Revell kit. Instead it was the old Monogram kit, Which is notorious for all its build options and a too big tail.

I think the newer Revell kit you ask about has some very nice details as well as the already known problems. The canopy is a new one on me as well. I have a few of the old Monogram kits and the idea struck me when I was building my Revell, to check out and see if the Monogram can donate some parts and thus become a cheap correction set. Well I only went as far as checking to see if the Monogram spinners can be used and was pleasantly surprised to find them to be a perfect match to the Revell nacelle. I am going to see if I can use the landing gear as well.

Anyway when I got my kit a few years ago, I believe it was out of production then. I simply got one on Ebay for about twenty dollars. The Hobby Shop price sticker on it, had it selling for 34.99 wherever it was at, on a shelf. I already had the Monogram kit languishing in the stash.

Max Bryant

• 3 months later...

Don't be worried, starting up then stopping production after a run of X amount of kits is normal. The molds may sit dormant for a time, but I expect in a few years, the kit will be run again.

• 2 weeks later...

Don't be worried, starting up then stopping production after a run of X amount of kits is normal. The molds may sit dormant for a time, but I expect in a few years, the kit will be run again.

And definitely not worrying about accuracy... after all, the old SBD is still showing up (with dropping bomb!) and the whatthehellcat (with folding wings.) Of course, they get points (a) for nostalgia and (B) just being fun. They all come and go.