So there I was sitting at home yesterday, trying to figure out what to do with six (!!!) free hours. Well, why not try to build a Skyhawk?

IMG_0287.JPG

This is the beauty that I've bought few weeks back.

IMG_0288.JPG

I'd love to build that second option from H&MS-13.

In my opinion, this was supposed to be the 154623, and not 154523. Some great info can be found here.

IMG_0289.JPG

So it seems I have a little problem with markings :) especially intake warning, stars and bars, shortened number, full BuNo... Or attempt this.

I sort of wish I didn't do any research... Of course if I did that, just after finishing the model I'd find out about the mistake I've made which would bug me every time I'd be looking at it forcing me to scrap it.

Still, I've moved forward with building the beast. Since I've decided to fit pilots in, I just basicly painted the cockpit, and quickly fitted it inside the fuselage.

IMG_0296.JPG

Also, I've cut off flaps and slats, planning on building the jet with all those deployed.

IMG_0297.JPG

IMG_0298.JPG

And this is where I'm at 6 hours later. Gotta say, it's looking pretty nice :)

One thing is strange though, the tailplanes are smaller than the ones in Airfix A-4B... IMG_0293.JPG

So after finishing pilots, attaching the canopy and masking it, the only thing left to do was to paint the beast. As unfortunatly I did not find any appropriate decals for the marking I chose, I had to settle for the other scheme supplied in the kit, the 154333 from H&MS-12.

DSCN4641.JPG

Honestly though... I think I like the other scheme better. Guess I'll have to go to one of my LHS today and see if they have Hasegawa OA-4 that I could rob of decals...

Edited by Thadeus
  • 2 weeks later...

I've managed to procure the only Hasegawa OA-4M I could get my hands on..

IMG_0305.JPG

Why didn't anybody tell me it's such a nice kit?! lol. Should've started this one, but I got scared away by odd looking Hasegawa A-4E/F.

IMG_0306.JPG

Only thing I don't like about this Hasegawa OA-4M is the wing. It's much too big imho. Still, I doubt I'll have enough time for another Skyhawk right now, so this is going to the stash.

After realising I'm not going to rob such a nice kit of its decals, I've figured I'll go forward with my previous plan, with a small twist.

IMG_0309.JPG

I've repainted topside colour FS35237. It's darker than 36320, looks more like what I see in pics.

IMG_0312.JPG

The model is currently finished, has been for more than a week. I just didn't have enough time to take pics of it. :bandhead2:

Thanks for stopping by and coping with my hesitation :cheers:

Yesterday, taking advantage of freshly installed kitchen lighting, I've shot some pics of my finished Skyhawk :)

IMG_0331.JPG

IMG_0333.JPG

IMG_0334.JPG

IMG_0335.JPG

IMG_0336.JPG

IMG_0337.JPG

IMG_0347.JPG

IMG_0349.JPG

I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. I guess I've overdone the weathering, but I just like them dirty :)

Thanks for checking out my build :)

Congratulations on finishing. I like how you split the flaps and spoiler.

One thing:the arresting hook is striped or not? I never noted in the lo-viz scheme if is or not striped...

It depends on the aircraft. Sometimes it's striped in lo-viz colors, sometimes it's striped in black and white, and occasionally it isn't striped at all. I have a couple of pictures of 154333, but in both of them the hook is in shadow and you can't tell if or how it is striped.

Congratulations on finishing. I like how you split the flaps and spoiler.

It depends on the aircraft. Sometimes it's striped in lo-viz colors, sometimes it's striped in black and white, and occasionally it isn't striped at all. I have a couple of pictures of 154333, but in both of them the hook is in shadow and you can't tell if or how it is striped.

:thumbsup: !

Gianni

Thanks a lot guys :) I've considered painting strips of either dark gray/light gray, med.gray/light gray, or black/white. Finally I've settled on just white. It makes the tailhook stand out a little bit, like it was recently replaced, or just cleaned thoroughly.