USMC F/A-18C down in the UK

Gents,

These guys came into Lakenheath as a six ship on Saturday. I did think about popping over to photograph them on arrival but the weather was terrible and Lakenheath was on 06 at the time which is not good for viewing so didn't bother. They were due out on Monday but scrubbed after engine start due to u/s tanker(s). The second flight of four came in yesterday and I believe there is still another two down range. These six departed this morning as Mazda 41 flight and 43 came down shortly after departure to the North of the field. Understandably the crossing was scrubbed and the tankers RTB'd to Mildenhall. Weather in the South of the UK has been terrible today and Lakenheath had deteriorated soon after they rolled so the remaining five went into RAF Lossiemouth in Scotland. Absolute tragedy. I gather over the last few days the crews have been out to the fence talking to the many photographers and enthusiasts who have gathered at Lakenheath since VMFA-232 first came in on Saturday. Sound like a great bunch of guys.

Gary.

Man, that sucks...guys are probably on their way home from a combat det and then this.

RIP, prayers to the family.

The guys were heading home from Bahrain after a 6 month det. The other 5 jets remain at Lossiemouth tonight but I believe the crews have returned to Mildenhall/Lakenheath onboard the KC135 that had diverted in with them.

Thoughts are with the pilot's family, friends and colleagues.

Semper Fi

There is one other who claims the one that went down was WT-00, not WT-02? Anybody know which of them it is?

Sorry if this seems insensitive so short after the tragic loss of a life :blush:

There is one other who claims the one that went down was WT-00, not WT-02? Anybody know which of them it is?

Sorry if this seems insensitive so short after the tragic loss of a life :blush:/>/>/>

Presumably the last photo of "43"... McDonnell Douglas F/A-18C Hornet 165188 02

Hi,

I agree it's not really the right thing to be discussing at the moment but as the questions have been asked I'll offer what I can although I haven't been to Lakenheath myself and am only picking up info from the local enthusiast sources. The crashed jet is being quoted as modex '00' locally. Nigels pic on Flickr linked above shows a jet from Saturday arriving and the jet coded '02' was recorded as being 'Mazda 43' on arrival. The lost jet is actually from the four ship that came in yesterday as 'Mazda 51' flight, but was 'Mazda 43' on departure today so they're not necessarily departing with the same flights. 'Blue 63' has come down from Lossie and returned to Mildenhall this evening so could well have brought the crews back. Maybe they will fast track getting the guys home after this tragedy and leave the jets to be sorted out at a later date? I don't know what the procedure is after a accident like this.

Gary

Hi,

I agree it's not really the right thing to be discussing at the moment but as the questions have been asked I'll offer what I can although I haven't been to Lakenheath myself and am only picking up info from the local enthusiast sources. The crashed jet is being quoted as modex '00' locally. Nigels pic on Flickr linked above shows a jet from Saturday arriving and the jet coded '02' was recorded as being 'Mazda 43' on arrival. The lost jet is actually from the four ship that came in yesterday as 'Mazda 51' flight, but was 'Mazda 43' on departure today so they're not necessarily departing with the same flights. 'Blue 63' has come down from Lossie and returned to Mildenhall this evening so could well have brought the crews back. Maybe they will fast track getting the guys home after this tragedy and leave the jets to be sorted out at a later date? I don't know what the procedure is after a accident like this.

Gary

"WT-00" as in the color bird? :blink:

Edited by AnthonyWan

The ill fated a/c was MAZDA43 which is thought to be 165181 WT-00.

The crews have returned to Mildenhall/Lakenheath leaving their jets at Lossie, as I've been told there is now a Globe grounding of the type until they carry out preliminary investigations into what happened. As Gary says above I would imagine it's a case of getting these guys home asap, and then getting replacement crews over from CONUS once the jets are cleared for flight again.

Totally feel for the pilot's family, friends and colleagues. To lose a pilot during combat operations is bad enough but for this to happen on the final leg home after a 6 month det is truly awful.

Forgive me, whenever we lost a pilot or crew member I could care less about the aircraft or the tail number. I do find some of these questions/posts insensitive.

Prayers and thoughts for the family.

Edited by Scooby
  • 2 weeks later...

from http://www.700wlw.com/articles/national-news-104668/marine-pilot-spent-last-moments-aboard-14059579?cmp=oboffsite :

The Marine pilot who died after his F-18 aircraft crashed Wednesday in England apparently used his last few moments to swerve out of the way of residential homes instead of ejecting, said one witness near the scene.

:salute: :salute: :salute: