B-58 Boarding Stand... Need help

I'm building the Mono 48th B-58. Got lots of extras and I'm rescribing and riveting (Not the wings!)and I'd really like to scratch the huge crew boarding stand. I've searched around and I'm not having any luck finding specifics on this thing.

Does anyone have any ideas on where I might ask or look... Google was no help.

I'd appreciate any information you could share with me in helping find these things. Thanks in advance.

DET1460

Wow, I count 80 B-58s in this photo from the above link... Out of only 99 built!!!

DickDirga23.jpg

I thought there were 116 built. There are six survivors missing from that photo, presuming the Pima Museum's example was parked in that group. 59-2458 went to the Air Force Museum, 59-2437 was sitting derelict at Little Rock, 55-0665 was left at Edwards, 61-2059 was delivered to Offutt and the SAC Museum, 55-0663 was at Chanute AFB, and 55-0666 was still at Grissom AFB. 55-0668 was later transported from Davis-Monthan back to Carswell in a C-5A, and is now displayed at Little Rock AFB. 61-2080 was towed across to the Pima Museum. 59-2437 sat derelict for many years at Little Rock but was moved to Kelly AFB where is was crudely restored.

Edited by Scott R Wilson

Thank you, all. Great information and pictures, especially Andre and Scott.

Actually, I'm building two. One on the ground, all opened up with the Lonestar cockpits and Fisher intakes, with Aires nozzles. Natural metal.

The second will be flying in the mythical SAC camou.

The boarding stand... wish me luck!

(I'm gonna need all I can get!)

Thanks, again, to everyone!

DET1460

I thought there were 116 built.

I based it on info from wikipedia, should have known better...

XB-58: Prototype; two built.

YB-58A: Pre-production aircraft, 11 built.

B-58A: Three-seat medium-range strategic bomber aircraft, 86 built.

TB-58A: Training aircraft, eight conversions from YB-58A.

The 17 RB-58s don't appear to be counted on their page so 116 (99+17) is probably right.

Thank you, all. Great information and pictures, especially Andre and Scott.

Actually, I'm building two. One on the ground, all opened up with the Lonestar cockpits and Fisher intakes, with Aires nozzles. Natural metal.

The second will be flying in the mythical SAC camou.

The boarding stand... wish me luck!

(I'm gonna need all I can get!)

Thanks, again, to everyone!

DET1460

I'm really looking foward to seeing your models, I hope you post in progress photos. The B-58 is easily my favorite airplane.

For other photos of the entry platform you might try watching videos on YouTube and grabbing screen shots. Several videos have good views of it.

By the way, in my opinion the fact that the aerial shot of all of the surviving Hustlers at DM except those I listed above doesn't show a camouflaged jet is just more proof that it never existed. I seriously doubt one was painted and later stripped back to bare metal. I suppose it's possible the only camouflaged Hustler was one that crashed, but I still bet there never actually was one that was painted. But I can understand painting a model as a whif.

Edited by Scott R Wilson

I'm really looking foward to seeing your models, I hope you post in progress photos. The B-58 is easily my favorite airplane.

For other photos of the entry platform you might try watching videos on YouTube and grabbing screen shots. Several videos have good views of it.

By the way, in my opinion the fact that the aerial shot of all of the surviving Hustlers at DM except those I listed above doesn't show a camouflaged jet is just more proof that it never existed. I seriously doubt one was painted and later stripped back to bare metal. I suppose it's possible the only camouflaged Hustler was one that crashed, but I still bet there never actually was one that was painted. But I can understand painting a model as a whif.

It is definitely going to be a whif. (Even the Jay Miller book states that there is absolutely no proof of a camou'd Hustler.) But the idea of a black and multi-green Hustler would be very interesting!

The boarding stand will be quite a challenge, though. But some of the pictures I've been guided to have been invaluable in what research I've been able to find. I'll try the videos you mentioned so I can come up with a workable drawing of the beast!

I'll try to post some pics, but it depends on getting the pc back to accepting my camera card... Not much of a pc guy!

Thank you, again, to all for your support.

By the way, Scott... It's one of my favorites, too!

DET1460

Edited by DET1460

I believe You will have to scratch that platform, maybe a Google search on the manufacturer of the original ones can bring You some nice pics or sketches.

Also near the B-58 were this platform : GE48030.jpg

It is not what You wish but it is some beginning

SouthViper

PM me or email me direct at lengesath(AT)cox(DOT)net. I have some drawings that might help.

Larry

I may be wrong, but I saw the translation as, "Noli Non Legitime Carbor Undum Est".

And, for the record, I stand behind Israel 100 percent as well!