Hello,

About time that I start my first build for this GB.

I'm gonna start with the 1/48 Hobbyboss A-6A Intruder. I'm planning to build one in VA-85 markings, during its cruise on the USS Kitty Hawk in 1965.

Furball decals will be used for this. I also plan to use at least the GRU-5 seats from Hypersonic, and I might order the Hypersonic exhausts as well.

Work starts of course with the cockpit, and I puttied the seams in the intakes. The radome halves have been glued together as well, and the seam was smoothed out.

PA214486_zpsymmffgfd.jpg

Edited by Pete
  • 2 weeks later...

Some progress on the Intruder. I sanded off the formation lights on the rear fuselage, and filled a vent under the cockpit. These were not used on the A-6A.

PA314493_zpsxge5sjur.jpg

PA314492_zpsqudcpyp1.jpg

I glued the intakes together, sanded them smooth, and painted them:

PA314491_zps4o1bjtr4.jpg

And slowly painting the instrument panel:

PA314489_zpskdmqr6ox.jpg

I also ordered some resin goodies from Hypersonic Models in the UK, some very nice exhausts and seats.

PA314494_zpswcv6lcwl.jpg

PA314495_zps1rz2xuua.jpg

That's it for now

Edited by Pete

Some progress on the Intruder. I sanded off the formation lights on the rear fuselage, and filled a vent under the cockpit. These were only used on the A-6A.

PA314493_zpsxge5sjur.jpg

PA314492_zpsqudcpyp1.jpg

I glued the intakes together, sanded them smooth, and painted them:

PA314491_zps4o1bjtr4.jpg

And slowly painting the instrument panel:

PA314489_zpskdmqr6ox.jpg

I also ordered some resin goodies from Hypersonic Models in the UK, some very nice exhausts and seats.

PA314494_zpswcv6lcwl.jpg

PA314495_zps1rz2xuua.jpg

That's it for now

The exhaust look great and nice start on the IP!

I will follow for sure my friend!

Gianni

Thanks Gianni!

I was told by an Intruder fanboy expert that those holes on the side of the rear fuselage should be filled if you build an A-6A. Only the A-6E has one on the port side, and not one on each side as Hobbyboss did.

Hole and panels filled with some styrene and putty:

PB014496_zpseqprpedj.jpg

Did a bit more painting on the cockpit too:

PB014497_zpsmwozkgjx.jpg

I glued the exhausts together, they're really quite nice. In order to install them, you do have to sand some of the inner fuselage down a bit, but no major cutting is required. You do have to glue them in place before you close the fuselage, though.

PB084501_zpsfhrumrig.jpg

May help with the flak curtain?

http://aoadecals.com/A-6A/

Hi,

Great addition to your website, Steve. Easily the best collection of A-6 flak curtain photos I've seen.

I'm going to go with the full flak curtain installed on my 1/72 A-6 now...I had been thinking of adding only the rod.

Slow progress has been made on my A-6, hopefully something worth posting an update about by next Monday.

Cheers, Stefan.

• 3 weeks later...

Now that my B-58 for another GB is finished, it's time to get back into this one. Currently sanding and grinding to fit the exhausts in. Pics will follow later this weekend. :)

Hi, Pete.

Your Intruder is an early one, like mine. Do you intend to add anything to represent the arresting gear panel?

I think it is going to be hard to cut out a piece of sheet plastic that fits exactly.

Maybe I'll fill the entire area under the cover with miliput.

Mine is in 1/72, but I have some 1/48's to build later so I'm interested in possible solutions.

Cheers, Stefan.

Hi,

I haven't really looked into it yet, but I did some pondering now that you mentioned it. Maybe I will just try to make a cover out of styrene strip. I do have to fix that bump under the fuselage just in front of the tailhook, as the kit only comes with the cut one with the chaff/flare launchers behind it.