Where do all the instruction sheets go?

I get a laugh almost every single day when someone posts "I need the instruction sheet for..."

Where do they all go? Almost every kit I know if comes with this nifty cardboard carrying case that conveniently provides room for the plastic parts, the decals, and (ta da!) the instruction sheet.

I can't say that in better than 50 years of modeling, I've ever irretrievably lost an instruction sheet.

:)

Our house got flooded during hurricane Ike and every single one of the kits I had at the time sat in 3 1/2' of water for a week. Needless to say those convenient cardboard carrying cases didn't keep out the water and all of the instructions and decals became a big paper mache mess. For most kits I didn't really need to get the instructions back because they were mostly obvious type builds. But occasionally I'll pull one out of the plastic tubs I had to transfer the kits to and have to wonder, "ok, where the heck does THIS part go?" then I'll go on the search for instructions. Everyone has their reasons for needing or wanting something. Not everyone has the same situations.

Bill

I haven't had them at all for the same reason of bought a kit from someone (not as bad as missing clear parts though!).

I lose them myself by working on a kit, leaving it, coming back a [classified compartmentalized crypto] amount of time and, after unburying everything not finding the instructions.

Actually, when I find some I put them in a manila folder in the models section of the bookshelf which stays remarkably orderly in spite of use.

So, I get instructions and kit back together again.

Really want to say thanks to those who are putting instructions on line 'cause I'm finding what I need so far.

Let see Bagged kits bought 2nd hand, Kits found at garage sales, kits bought at 2nd hand stores, Flood damaged stashes(Katrina in my case). You moved and stuff got lost my case also. long layoff and a bad memory my case again..... I am sure there are many more......

I bought a brand new still sealed Monogram Voodoo back when they were initially released and it had no instructions and no clear parts (two decal sheets though...too bad they were terrible). I mailed Monogram (email was non-existent back then :rolleyes:)a missing materials "To Whom it may concern" letter. Three weeks later the replacement instructions, clear parts, and another decal sheet :lol: arrived. I still have those instructions to this day.

Regards,

Don.

And I for some reason always keep the instructions of every kit I've built. Periodically I come across someone looking and I Have no problems scanning and sending if I have the instructions. I have been helped by numerous folks here and have no problem passing it forward. However it would be nice to have an online database for high res instruction sheets.

I bought a brand new still sealed Monogram Voodoo back when they were initially released and it had no instructions and no clear parts (two decal sheets though...too bad they were terrible). I mailed Monogram (email was non-existent back then rolleyes.gif)a missing materials "To Whom it may concern" letter. Three weeks later the replacement instructions, clear parts, and another decal sheet laugh.gif arrived. I still have those instructions to this day.

Regards,

Don.

Yep; I remember those days waaaay before email existed!

Back when I was a member of Revell's 'Master Modelers' club w00t.gif .

As others have noted, used kits will sometimes be sans instructions. BUT, I Really Really Dislike it when this fact isn't described when the kit is offered for sale. :explode:

It can be a major PITA to replace them on older kits. That's a secondary reason I keep my old ones, to help requests if I can. My primary reason, um rationalization, is so I can all that build that unused ordnance in the future. Somebody recently sat down and built all their bits in a thread here...that seems like a good thing to fill in odd time slots, which is most of my available (but less usable) build time.

I like studying instructions for a long time before building a model to plan out my build and paint order. That means the instructions are often separate from the kits. Sometimes they end up back in the box, sometimes they end up in piles of instruction I have in a few places around the apartment. I don't think I lost any, but it has taken me hours to find on occasion.