Star Wars E7: The Force Awakens- NOW WITH POLL

How do you Rank EP 7 out of a Possible 10  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Rank from 1-10

• 10- OMG! Best Star Wars Ever!
    • 9- AWSOME, I want me a Kylo Ren Lightsaber!
    • 8- YES! Right up there with the OT
    • 7- I might even take my wife next weekend
    • 6- Strong enough to pull the ears off a Gundark
    • 5- Pretty good popcorn flick
    • 4- Meh, it was ok.
    • 3-2-1- Do not like.

I appears Luke is the one who put his hand on R2D2 and it also appears he's wearing a black robe.

Crazy question:

Could it be him who wants to 'finish what you started'?

Like father like son? Do a bunch bad things and then be saved by his offspring?

Edited by Check Six

First time I had seen that light saber I was thinking that it was a stupid design and could easily cause a self inflicted wound.

Ah; Good point.

I've always thought that Darth Maul's saber was super badazz banana.gif !

As a former practicing martial artist when he presented that I yelled in my head, "Awesome; A staff!!".

But of course, it couldn't be used as a staff in the conventional way. It had to be held only from the center. But it was still a super badazz lightsaber!

I've always thought about that since I was a kid. How could the entire Galactic Empire crumble by losing just ONE battle. Nice to know I'm not the only one.

Let's not go down that slippery slope.

Likewise; I too, have a bunch of 'WTF' questions as well w00t.gif !

Timothy Zahn wrote a trilogy of books that focused on the Empire and the Rebellion five years after the Battle of Endor. Essentially the Empire never died with the destruction of the second Death Star or the loss of the Emperor and Vader. Five years later the Empire still existed, albeit shrunken in size. It still had Star Destroyers, Ties, AT-AT's, AT-ST's, Stormtroopers and all the other cool machines from the movies. But when news of Vader and the Emperors demise spread throughout the galaxy the Rebellion grew in numbers, desertion within the Empire occurred which never happened under the Emperor (I am thinking of doing one of my Bandai 1/72 Tie Fighters in Rebel markings) eventually matching and then exceeding (by a small margin) that of the Empire in size. Based on what I have surmised from reading the novels the Empire never truly is completely defeated, even if its just the idea that survived. That's why I am excited for the movie and hope that it fills in about 15 years of blanks and gray areas.

In regards Stormtroopers in tattered gear goes, three Clone Troopers ignored Order 66 having previously discovered the control implants in their brain and having removed them. They are later discovered wearing tattered battle armor, with long gray beards and hair and living in and using old Republic gear.

Honestly, does nobody read the novels... :lol: . I am kidding of course ;) .

Cheers!

Don.

The novels are good and make up their own history but the movie has 0 to do with the novels. The movie will be yet another universe all its own. It only follows the prior 6 movies and ignores everything else.

Can't expect Disney to pay outside authors for their ideas. That's ludicrous.

The novels are good and make up their own history but the movie has 0 to do with the novels. The movie will be yet another universe all its own. It only follows the prior 6 movies and ignores everything else.

Can't expect Disney to pay outside authors for their ideas. That's ludicrous.

Who said the movie had to follow the novels or that Disney should be paying authors for their ideas :unsure: ? I must have missed that. The discussion in this thread has veered from the movie(s), to novels, to character appearances, to general questions and comments about the Star Wars universe. Its been a fun off topic discussion from the normal ARC threads that often get political or snappy. The fact that some of the questions asked here (such as, what happened to the Empire after Endor?) just happen to have been answered in the novels and have not as yet been addressed by a movie just adds to the discussion (and...more importantly...answers the question...). If the movie makers want to fill in the 30 years between Endor and the current movie with an alternative story line from the novels they are more then welcome to. But, the die hard Star Wars aficionados, the core fan base who soak everything about Star Wars up will and DO certainly link movies to novels and vice versa (as well as the comics and video games ;)). Drop by any Star Wars discussion site and see for yourself. The novels "history" began and were taken directly from the original three movies "history"...so the essential links are there and are not separate. Open up any and all Star Wars novel(s) and in the first few pages is a complete (and exceptionally detailed) family history/family tree of the entire currently established Star Wars universe as they (the movies and novels) link together. Not that the movie makers have to, but to deviate too far off (key words) from what the super fans have come to know via the whole Star Wars franchise may be folly (look at Episodes 1-3 and how they were/are received).

Everything about the current movie right now is speculation and its fun to play the "what if" game. People have brought different ideas and thoughts to this discussion based on their interpretation of the trailers or their experiences in other aspects of the Star Wars genre. Its interesting and a fun distraction.

Regards,

Don.

Earlier in the week, my wife, daughters and I were wondering some things about Star Wars. Maybe those who've read the books can answer some of the questions. Are the Storm Troopers always "Storm Troopers"? What I mean is are they always on duty or do they work in shifts? When they aren't putting in their 40 hours a week, what are they doing on their downtime? Where do they go shopping? Also, is there a cafeteria in the Death Star? A gift shop? Bathrooms? Does Darth Vader have to use the bathroom? My wife thought his suit took care of it all. Ever since he got all burned up into a crispy chip, there wasn't much left of him to produce any waste. That being the case, his suit just took care of any and all waste disposal.

So many questions abound.

Eric

Earlier in the week, my wife, daughters and I were wondering some things about Star Wars. Maybe those who've read the books can answer some of the questions. Are the Storm Troopers always "Storm Troopers"? What I mean is are they always on duty or do they work in shifts? When they aren't putting in their 40 hours a week, what are they doing on their downtime? Where do they go shopping? Also, is there a cafeteria in the Death Star? A gift shop? Bathrooms? Does Darth Vader have to use the bathroom? My wife thought his suit took care of it all. Ever since he got all burned up into a crispy chip, there wasn't much left of him to produce any waste. That being the case, his suit just took care of any and all waste disposal.

Eric

Stormtroopers (Original Trilogy) are conscripted and full-time professional solders, probably for a multi-year obligation serving the Empire. I would think of them analogous to the Soviet army of the Cold-War, Communist era. Probably not very motivated or patriotic and just putting their time in being bad shots under fire. I'm guessing the new Sequel Trilogy "New Order" Stormtroopers will be much the same.

Clonetroopers (as their name implies) are clones and were considered superior to the Original Trilogy Stormtroopers as they were born to serve and highly specialized. After the Clone Wars were over and the Empire took control of the Old Republic, Clonetroopers were phased out (partially due to rapid aging) for the more feasible Stormtroopers. This has been somewhat covered in the Clone Wars and Rebels cartoons. Personally I find this transition period between trilogies to be a bit interesting and hope it is the topic of future novels, cartoons, and comics. There were some "old" EU stories on this but they would no longer be considered cannon.

Empire Troopers and Officers: Almost Exclusively human. These are they guys in black uniforms, black helmets, caps and higher level officers in grey-green uniforms. They usually have technical specialties. For the most part, these are the guys who went to their local recruitment center and signed up for the greater glory of the Empire and are professionals looking for a career. They make up their officer corps and are probably analogous to the Japanese Navy in WW2.

Ew

Eric

In A New Hope, when Obi Wan is about to turn off the Deat Star's tractor beam, the two Storm Troopers on patrol pause on the bridge and are discussing the new model land speeders...

So, some are " car guys" ...

Personally, with Episode 7, I'm a little bit disappointed in the Abrams-esque special effects ...

-Gregg

PS Exar Kun had the first dual blade lightsaber, check out the Tales of the Jedi comic book series ...

Edited by GreyGhost

Personally, with Episode 7, I'm a little bit disappointed in the Abrams-esque special effects ...

-Gregg

I am pretty excited honestly. Abrams "gets" why the Original Trilogy worked- Practical Effects, props, puppets, models, dirty-garage looking stuff. That is well represented in the previews I have seen.

The only thing that looked "new, slick and Abrahms-esque" to me was the Hyperspace Jump of the Falcon in the latest trailer. Intead of being a first or second-person view out of the cockpit, the camera pans and zooms as though you were on another ship that got passed by. I thought this was an innovative and dynamic take on the old Hyperspace special effect.

-Gregg

PS Exar Kun had the first dual blade lightsaber, check out the Tales of the Jedi comic book series ...

exarkun01_zpsbij1ndxk.jpg

I enjoyed that series but stopped collecting it...can't do everything sadly :(

Regards,

Don.

Well I am happy that the whole Star Wars movie series is being carried on. You can only watch the original 6 so many times. Also, didn't Lucas pretty much say the movies were like the days gone by with those Saturday afternoon matinees? Or was that Indiana Jones?

No matter, I was able to pick up some tickets for Dec 19 so can hardly wait.

I remember buying most all the prequel toys thinking the'day be a good investment....

Actually I did sell my prequel toy collection about 2 years ago and got about what I paid for it. I used that money to buy some bigger and better toys (guns and ammo)

I still have plenty of original trilogy toys. Both originals from the late 70s/ rarly 80s and remakes from the 90s-2000s or so. Those I have more attachmen to.

Man; When Star Wars came out in '77 I had all their baseball card series.

As well as the double album soundtrack, posters, magazines, and models.

The two things I remember about 1977 was Star Wars and Elvis dying.

I still have all the Star Wars cards I got from the loaves of Wonder Bread I ate as a kid in the '70s. I looked up their worth the other day. Sadly, they won't be able to help me to retire any sooner. Oh well.

On the other hand, last night I went on YouTube and watched a bunch of those Adult Swim/Robot Chicken stop-motion videos where they spoof Star Wars. I couldn't stop laughing! Now, when I go to see the latest movie, I'll probably be laughing in the theater just like Robert DeNiro's character did in "Cape Fear".

Eric