Star Wars E7: The Force Awakens- NOW WITH POLL

How do you Rank EP 7 out of a Possible 10  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Rank from 1-10

• 10- OMG! Best Star Wars Ever!
    • 9- AWSOME, I want me a Kylo Ren Lightsaber!
    • 8- YES! Right up there with the OT
    • 7- I might even take my wife next weekend
    • 6- Strong enough to pull the ears off a Gundark
    • 5- Pretty good popcorn flick
    • 4- Meh, it was ok.
    • 3-2-1- Do not like.

Anyone else sense the emptiness of the missing 20th Century Fox drums and fanfare at the beginning? Didn't quite seem like it was really, really starting....

Of everything that could be wrong, that's the one I was most worried about. That opening IS Star Wars. I read once that 20th Cen. Fox hadn't used that opening in decades and decided to use it for Star Wars to set it apart. Boy did it ever!

I saw it last night with my daughters and totally loved it. Although I thought it was the best STAR WARS movie in 32 years the best part for me was getting to see my girls excitement and joy. I didn't know how much they knew about the movies until last night and watched the expressions on their faces.

Sigh. The complaints about the story arch mirroring the original trilogy is annoying. I really feel like anyone that makes that complaint doesn't actually understand what the original trilogy was....a family soap opera set it space. The story elements of VII are a little predictable...I had it figured out months ago...that doesn't change the impact of the movie. It felt like Star Wars again...first time since VI. The casting is unbelievably good, and the performances of both new and old characters is what makes the movie.

I can't wait the year and a half (VIII will come out Summer of 2016) to see how this story continues.

Ranking for me? 5, 6, 7, 4 (1-3 are non existent as far as I'm concerned).

Sigh. The complaints about the story arch mirroring the original trilogy is annoying. I really feel like anyone that makes that complaint doesn't actually understand what the original trilogy was....a family soap opera set it space. The story elements of VII are a little predictable...I had it figured out months ago...that doesn't change the impact of the movie. It felt like Star Wars again...first time since VI. The casting is unbelievably good, and the performances of both new and old characters is what makes the movie.

I can't wait the year and a half (VIII will come out Summer of 2016) to see how this story continues.

Ranking for me? 5, 6, 7, 4 (1-3 are non existent as far as I'm concerned).

Serious Star Wars fans to Episodes 1-3..."You are dead to me!" I love it!

How can you not complain about 7 mirroring 4? It's a direct clone from start to finish. Even the characters are basically the same with a few added new ones.

That said, I loved it. Just kinda irritated at how parallel it is to 4.

How can you not complain about 7 mirroring 4? It's a direct clone from start to finish. Even the characters are basically the same with a few added new ones.

That said, I loved it. Just kinda irritated at how parallel it is to 4.

I'm not going to complain because it needed to be done. It's essentially a reboot. Now we have new characters that in future movies can expand the stories. This was the "passing of the baton", if you will. Yeah, they could have probably come up with something different than essentially a third Death Star, but I'll overlook that. Now, if subsequent movies are short on story, I think you'll begin to hear more voiciferous complaining from the core fans. This one gets a pass because it's so well done. I can't wait to see it!

Just got back, and I have to say this is the best SW film since Empire. I agree with most of the points others have posted. Same basic framework as IV? Yep. Predictable, right down to the "surprises?" Of course. But then that's to be expected..this is an attempt to revisit the best of the original franchise while laying the groundwork for the new. I did like the fact that the original trilogy characters (including the Falcon) weren't just awkwardly tossed in as glorified cameos, but were important, integral parts of the story. There were lots of little "tips of the hat" to us old fanboys who fell in love with the SW universe as kids (I was 13 when the original came out, and it literally defined my teenage years) but they weren't too heavy-handed. You could have a chuckle and move on. The trip had some familiar landmarks and the destination was never in doubt, but the ride was still a blast.

Not a spoiler really, but is it just me, or did they fatten up C3PO a bit?

SN

Just saw it.

I'm a huge Star Wars nerd. Seen the originals over a thousand times. I hated the movie. Sure it was ok from a movie standpoint but as far as SW goes it sucked. JJ did a great job making new Star Trek seem like ST. But he failed making new Star Wars seem like old SW.

The Clone Wars called. It wants it's Anakin Skywalker back.

Not a spoiler really, but is it just me, or did they fatten up C3PO a bit?

Yeah I noticed too, Anthony Daniels is getting old and he probably needs a little more breathing room.

C-3PO was also about as annoying as he was in the prequals. I think that's why we didn't see too much of him. I did laugh when he first appeared, a great nod back to Episode 5, ESB.

So much more I want to say about 3PO and R2 but we'd be getting into SPOILER territory.

Just saw it.

I'm a huge Star Wars nerd. Seen the originals over a thousand times. I hated the movie. Sure it was ok from a movie standpoint but as far as SW goes it sucked. JJ did a great job making new Star Trek seem like ST. But he failed making new Star Wars seem like old SW.

Sorry to hear that. Don't know how people feel that way.

Not attacking you Bigasshammm, but what was wrong for you, if you can keep it spoiler free.

Sometimes I think Star Wars didn't change (OT to Episode 7) but WE did, or some of us at least.

Just curious how many of you saw it with your kids and grew up with the original trilogy? Verses how many of you saw it without kids as an adult?

Seeing it with my kids let's me appreciate it more I think. You see it thru their eyes.

Seeing it with my kids let's me appreciate it more I think. You see it thru their eyes.

Case in point, the prequals. I, like many others, we're pretty much expecting the second comming of Christ. But since it was my first Star Wars movies since watching the originals in the late 70s/early 80s I found that I couldn't relive those feelings again because I had grown up.

Of course it didn't help that Lucas really did screw the Prequal movies up! Took me a long time to get over my dissapointment in the Prequels. There were some good moments of course but as a whole they were poorly written, directed, and tried too hard to rely on CGI storytelling.

Episode 7 wasn't like that at all for me. It really was a new, clean start with enough familiarity, homage, return of favorite characters, and old-school filmmaking that it felt right. Truely, The Force did awaken.

I felt JJ Abrams and Disney found that magic formula. Give me more.

JJ did a great job making new Star Trek seem like ST. But he failed making new Star Wars seem like old SW.

I feel just the opposite. I think JJ's Trek films are terrible..just mindless shoot-em-ups with none of the deeper more intellectual side that has always defined Trek. SW on the other hand has always been about swashbuckling action, melodrama and fun. I think he struck just the right tone with this one. I still think Empire is far and away the best of the entire franchise, and of course Ep.IV will always be my favorite just because I first saw it as a wide-eyed 13-year-old. I loath Return of the Jedi (not because of the Ewoks, but because it's just a terrible movie all around) and the prequels left me flat (although III had some good moments.) This new film certainly isn't perfect (no film is) but I think it's a worthy effort, and hopefully lays the groundwork for even better films to come.

SN

Just saw it.

SW ANH (Ep. IV) simply redefined the history of cinema. Period. There was BEFORE and AFTER Ep. IV, before was boring and dull, after was fun, entertaining, fast action paced. It's no coincidence that films like Raiders of the Lost Ark, Back to the Future, Top Gun, etc, were filmed after SW ANH. For example, if you want to pick a D-Day movie, before was "The Longest Day", after was "Saving Private Ryan". That's how influential and important was SW ANH.

No one could live to that hype. George Lucas himself tried with the prequel trilogy and almost everyone (I do) thinks he failed miserably.

SW Ep. VII is very nicely scripted. Very solidly produced. Has top notch special effects. Some could argue JJ doesn't have much to do with that, another director would do the same, in fact those could be independent of the director.

Without giving any hints and spoilers, we already knew how good Harrison Ford and Carrie Fisher are. But Jonh Boyega, Oscar Isaac and specialy, Daisy Ridley solid performances can't be coincidences that JJ has nothing to do. The way Rey's eyes sparkles from the prospect of adventures and antics cannot be just a nice and unknown actress randomly performing her art. And while everyone knew Wedge Antiles was a very good pilot, we saw why Poe would blow Wedge into tiny pieces

No, not everything was good. I strongly disliked Adam Driver's acting. He never make me believe in a torn men, but just a bored teenager with a grudge against his father. The Resistance is depicted as a ragtag force, not the guys wich topled the mighty Galactic Empire with just resolve and sense of duty, while the First Order is a bit too powerfull for a group of bad guys just trying to bleed rebelious noses.

Sorry to hear that. Don't know how people feel that way.

Not attacking you Bigasshammm, but what was wrong for you, if you can keep it spoiler free.

Sometimes I think Star Wars didn't change (OT to Episode 7) but WE did, or some of us at least.

I thought the characters were childish and poorly created. They rushed through a lot with Rey never really explaining anything. And Kylo Rens character reminded me of young anakin skywalker which everyone hated. Yet now with this movie they love it?

Obviously it was a cool movie from an effects and visual standpoint but non of it felt like Star Wars. And the original music didn't sound like Star Wars either. We'd need a spoiler thread so I could really dissect and tear down what parts I thought were terrible.

Trust me. There's no one more disappointed than me I love Star Wars. I have an entire attic full of SW stuff and have all the models as well.

I thought the characters were childish and poorly created. They rushed through a lot with Rey never really explaining anything. And Kylo Rens character reminded me of young anakin skywalker which everyone hated. Yet now with this movie they love it?

Obviously it was a cool movie from an effects and visual standpoint but non of it felt like Star Wars. And the original music didn't sound like Star Wars either. We'd need a spoiler thread so I could really dissect and tear down what parts I thought were terrible.

Trust me. There's no one more disappointed than me I love Star Wars. I have an entire attic full of SW stuff and have all the models as well.

Please don't take this the wrong way. It's meant to be in good humor! This reminds me of when Dances with Wolves came out. The Far Side had a cartoon with this big room and banner stating it was a convention for those that thought DWW was a horrible movie. There were three people in this huge auditorium picking it apart. :D Again, please don't take this the wrong way. It just struck me as funny that amongst all the positive responses, you have the opposite view, which reminded me of the cartoon.

I don't take it wrong. Like I said I'm disappointed I didn't like it. I'll see it again with my kids (who coincidentally don't even want to see it) and maybe I'll pick up more. Granted I was exhausted at the theater, grumpy, and freezing my butt off so that may have been part of it.

I'm more surprised people are raving about it when it seemed so much like the prequels to me.

Edited by Bigasshammm

They rushed through a lot with Rey never really explaining anything.

I do agree with you on that point- they never really did explain much. :wacko: I understand why this would dissatisfy and confuse some viewers. I just sort of rolled with it and did my research after the movie, actually been reading a lot over the weekend about the movie and the status of the Star Wars universe 30+ years after Return of the Jedi.

Only once in the movie did they slow down to explain anything (Non-SPOILER, in the previews) "The Force is real, all of it" from Han Solo aboard the Falcon. The fan-based audience already knew most of this and it was more in-film juxtaposition for Rey and Finn. Although prior to the movies release and during the previews a lot of us were scratching our heads because we figured everyone in the Star Wars universe knew what happened at the Battle over Endor and the history of the Jedi vs Sith, but apparently that is not the case and we had to also figure that out ourselves.

There WAS a huge amount of Expanded Universe material that had established a post- ROTJ history that is pretty much well-entrenched as our lore, but it was trash-canned by Disney. This is going to create some conflicts and confusion with fans because The Force Awakens basically becomes a re-boot after 30+ years of established and (what was)cannon universe-building.

So I just accept we got a re-boot (sort-of) and move on. I understand why Disney did this, there was too much baggage in the old EU. Disney writers can go any direction they want now and just had to establish this new status-quo. If they stopped in the film to explain it, there would be a lot of wasted screen time.

We are left with a LOT of mysteries and unanswered questions, in some cases we need to interpret events ourselves and in others we need to wait until the next film. Just like ESB "Luke I am your Father". It was agony waiting 3 years for that resolution when I was a kid! Same with Han Solo frozen in Carbonite. ESB left us hanging and arguably that was one of the things that made it successful. I'll be patient and wait until the next installment with confidence questions will be answered.

:smiley-transport006:

Dang it Mods- we need an X-wing version of this!

Please don't take this the wrong way. It's meant to be in good humor! This reminds me of when Dances with Wolves came out. The Far Side had a cartoon with this big room and banner stating it was a convention for those that thought DWW was a horrible movie. There were three people in this huge auditorium picking it apart. :D/> Again, please don't take this the wrong way. It just struck me as funny that amongst all the positive responses, you have the opposite view, which reminded me of the cartoon.

Let me help you with that:

DWW.jpg

And the original music didn't sound like Star Wars either.

Agreed again. The only times I noticed the music was when the original Trilogy scores were used (Opening Theme, Obi-Wans (Force) Theme, Princess Leias theme). I did notice the bands music (sorta Reggae?) and the music just stop at one point (for good reason, SPOILER territory).

Did John Williams lose his magic? :scared0016:/>

Edited by toadwbg

Yeah... I was not impressed with movie that much.

The only place where I was almost crying was the opening scroll which tells you a lot about the movie.

I thought movie was trying have too much action in it, there wasn't enough time for drama and characters. The movie with this much thing to say should be at least 20min or so longer. Also it has too much New Hope in it. Borderline reboot of New Hope with some elements from other movies.

Overall, I would suggest people to see it and actually I am going to see it for a second time but it is because I really really like Star Wars not because I loved the Force Awakens. I would give it a 7/10 which is the same rating I would give to Revenge of the Sith.

I took my 7 year old son and two of his friends to see it yesterday...they LOVED IT! They barely touched their snacks they were so riveted. The three of them are pretty well versed in SW, having watched the previous 6 flicks numerous times and being diehard followers of Disney's Rebels series. They couldn't stop talking about it the whole way home! Hands were mimicking the Falcon and TIE fighters in the back seats and the sounds of laser blasts were echoing the entire ride. When they got back to our house my sons SW Lego got a real workout. It was their episode IV.

A whole new generation of SW fans finally have a SW movie to call their own in my opinion. To those of us in our mid-forties+, we grew up with episodes IV, V, and VI. Those movies are sacred ground to us and in our eyes it would be hard pressed to ever top those SW movies. But to younger fans they are just SW movies and there is nothing overly special or magical about them. But if their reaction is typical of younger movie goers then Disney hit a homerun with this movie in my opinion. I will take their reaction as an honest appraisal/review.

I personally really enjoyed it. It blew the doors off of episodes I, II, and III to me (by a long shot). My bias towards episode V make it difficult to honestly slot VII in above it but it is definitely in the top 3. I will be seeing it again on Wednesday and I am really looking forward to it.

I'll stop there so as not to ruin anything for those still yet to see it.

Good stuff!

Cheers!

:cheers:

Don.

EDIT: spelling.

Edited by Don