Star Wars E7: The Force Awakens- NOW WITH POLL

How do you Rank EP 7 out of a Possible 10  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Rank from 1-10

• 10- OMG! Best Star Wars Ever!
    • 9- AWSOME, I want me a Kylo Ren Lightsaber!
    • 8- YES! Right up there with the OT
    • 7- I might even take my wife next weekend
    • 6- Strong enough to pull the ears off a Gundark
    • 5- Pretty good popcorn flick
    • 4- Meh, it was ok.
    • 3-2-1- Do not like.

T-minus 7 hours till showtime!

I have taken a vow of silence- NO SPOILERS until at least next week sometime. I'll write a Good/Bad/Ugly review when I figure most people have had a chance to see it. Even then only mild spoiler potential.

:smiley-whacky084:

Okay, we discussed about this with Sebastijan a moment ago, so I know where he is coming from. And I kinda understand.

I was born in the mid 70's and I think this was more Star Wars than the Prequels. It had more emotion, much more entertaining script and much much better acting. Ridley was awesome and could really create a convincing character. Boyega rocked too and Harrison had his old Solo/Indy era boyishness back. And I really loved the Falcon!

Those who have read a lot of EU stuff should really forget it all. This is a SW movie and as a Star Wars movie it worked very well. It lived my huge expectations.

We're planning to catch a matinee next Tuesday when Mandie and I both have the day off. I'm cautiously optimistic..the original came out when I was 13, and my friends and I were Star Wars obsessed through our teen years. I just keep telling myself it can't be as bad as the prequels. I'm not a blind cultist either..I loathed Return Of The Jedi from day one. It was just a hot mess of poor writing and recycled material to wrap up the trilogy as quickly and with as little effort as pissible.

I just returned from the new film and I am still shaking from the adrenalin after seeing it. It's everything that made the original trilogy great, only (as Lucas is famous for telling his actors on the set of the originals) "faster and more intense." Which is mostly positive. Believe the hype. "The Force Awakens" is that good.

I LOVED it! I thought the effects were awesome, the storyline left me salivating for more and the new characters were great.

Great mix of humour and action. I think people should take it as a stand alone movie and stop comparing it to the past films. They are of a different era and you were of a different age thus the effect it had on you will NEVER be the same. 9/10 for me and it only loses the 1 point for not being another 3 hours long. Like the other have said, sooo many questions and unresolved issues!

Saw it last night. It's spectacular. It does leave you wanting more, and with unanswered questions. But I think given there are two more movies for this storyline to play out that should be expected.

Unlike Episodes 1-3 his one is brilliantly cast. It also actually feels like a Star Wars movie unlike those. The success of this movie really was going to rind on the performances of the new starts. Those performances couldn't have been better.

Gents,

I saw it here in the UK last night as well. I saw it at Bury St Edmunds which I think is the nearest multiplex to the USAF bases at Mildenhall/Lakenheath and prior to the film I had to wonder if I was the only Brit in the audience, every voice sounded like it was from the US, I did wonder if there was anybody left at the bases...

Unfortunately, I wasn't that impressed. I'm a big Star Wars and Sci-fi fan in general and know my Star Wars inside out and I was worried that Abrams was going to do to Star Wars what he did to Star Trek. Which to my mind is that we would end up with a fast paced, action set piece that lacks a coherent script with plot holes and contrived situations the size of a Star Destroyer running throughout it's length. That was exactly what we got - again! I often get told I take these sort of films too seriously and I should just enjoy them for what they are but I don't think it's too much to ask for a good director and writer to deliver both a spectacular film and also a script in which some care has been taken.

I don't think it was a total disaster and certainly the new characters and cast were good with what they had. I do wonder though if I was watching the same film as most of the professional critics.

Gary

Edited by gary1701

Gents,

I saw it here in the UK last night as well. I saw it at Bury St Edmunds which I think is the nearest multiplex to the USAF bases at Mildenhall/Lakenheath and prior to the film I had to wonder if I was the only Brit in the audience, every voice sounded like it was from the US, I did wonder if there was anybody left at the bases...

Unfortunately, I wasn't that impressed. I'm a big Star Wars and Sci-fi fan in general and know my Star Wars inside out and I was worried that Abrams was going to do to Star Wars what he did to Star Trek. Which to my mind is that we would end up with a fast paced, action set piece that lacks a coherent script with plots holes and contrived situations the size of a Star Destroyer running throughout it's length. That was exactly what we got - again! I often get told I take these sort of films too seriously and I should just enjoy them for what they are but I don't think it's too much to ask for a good director and writer to deliver both a spectacular film and also a script in which some care has been taken.

I don't think it was a total disaster and certainly the new characters and cast were good with what they had. I do wonder though if I was watching the same film as most of the professional critics.

Gary

Gary, my thoughts exactly. I cannot understand how everyone is so excited about it. Yeah, it has great visuals, but the story? Well, E:IV revisited... But in these days, when Age of Ultron is placed in top 10 2015 movies by user ratings, I am no longer surprised... Back to the EU, at least there's something new to read there.

I watched it last night, took my 12 and 9 year old sons to the 10pm showing. I loved it, and they loved it, can't wait for the next one. And I may just go see it again this weekend.

BUT..... I gotta say as much as I loved the new characters and return or the old ones to actually make this a Star Wars movie. But it really reminded me too much of episode IV. And that's all I can say complaint wise without giving away info.

Fantastic visuals thought! Loved all of that! I swear I could WWII pacific theater air combat in this movie. The scene (it's in the trailer) where they show the tie fighters with the sun behind them was really cool!

Gotta disagree, loved the story/script. Obviously there are parallels in Xxxxxx's journey as there was in Yyyyyy'S journey.

Great humor and emotional impact!

I completely agree. my wife and I saw it last night and loved every minute from beginning to end. It was exactly what Star Wars should be. I will say that I didn't notice any new music that really stood out.

I saw the very first showing as a member of the Rebel Legion (which was nice; not only did we avoid the long lines and even avoided having to buy a ticket, we got to see it in costume, to complete our journey to the Geek Side :lol:). I'm going to take this approach:

1) Anyone hoping any film to rival the original 2 (ANH and Empire) is setting themselves up for disappointment. Ain't gonna happen.

2) Once point 1 has been accepted, this blows away 1 and 2 without the slightest effort, and perhaps even topples the other two. we have a generally worthy successor.

3) Biggest downfall is, as mentioned, the seeming "4: revisited" thing.

4) I'm an X-Wing pilot in the RL, the only thing I really wanted to ever be since I was 7 when the original came out. And I've gotta say: It's a great time to be an X-Wing pilot!!! B) :cheers:

Edited by Andrew D. the Jolly Rogers guy

I saw the very first showing as a member of the Rebel Legion (which was nice; not only did we avoid the long lines and even avoided having to buy a ticket, we got to see it in costume, to complete our journey to the Geek Side :lol:/>). I'm going to take this approach:

1) Anyone hoping any film to rival the original 2 (ANH and Empire) is setting themselves up for disappointment. Ain't gonna happen.

2) Once point 1 has been accepted, this blows away 1 and 2 without the slightest effort, and perhaps even topples the other two. we have a generally worthy successor.

3) Biggest downfall is, as mentioned, the seeming "4: revisited" thing.

4) I'm an X-Wing pilot in the RL, the only thing I really wanted to ever be since I was 7 when the original came out. And I've gotta say: It's a great time to be an X-Wing pilot!!! B)/> :cheers:/>

Agreed on all parts. I still think Empire is the best Star Wars films, but Ep. 7, I think, is on par with Ep. 4. Honestly, this one blows all of the prequels away. Some good humour moments in the movie as well.

Totally agree that this film is superior to the prequals.

The hero and villain story arch in this one movie rivals the entire prequals and leaves you wanting more, more, more.

Gotta wait 2 years for the next installment! Glad Disney is comming out with companion movies to tide us over a-LA the Avengers franchise.

I'll be going on Sunday evening, although I already know the spoilers. I'm tearing up just thinking about them and I haven't even seen it yet! :crying2: To the point of it being too much like E4, I think that's exactly what was intended. The goal of this film was to get the franchise back on track for the old fans and to bring new fans into the fold. This is what the original would have been had the technology been there. Let's be honest, if you rewatch E4, the dialogue is cheesy and the acting isn't all that great. The reason it was so huge was that nothing like that had ever been done before and it captured the imagination of the viewers. Now, that kind of movie is commonplace. If E4 were released today, it would look like a B movie. There, I've said it. I'm officially a heretic! :rolleyes: However, with the franchise back on track, the next two movies are free to explore more interesting territory. In regards to JJ destroying Star Trek, I disagree. There are points I think were dumb (Spock and Uhura's little romance, engineering looking like a 20th Century factory, and the nacelles on the Enterprise looking stupid), but the overall effect far outweighed those negative things. I think Star Wars will be the same way. To sum up, and to quote a famous Vulcan, "The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few." :D