Normally when on duty all personnel were given what they called a box lunch from he in flight kitchen. It always had two cartons of Formost milk, a turkey sandwich, another of an unknown meat, a hard boiled egg, some chicklets and if they were having a good day at the kitchen, some kind of candy bar. Very soon you learned a trick to the system. Let someone else eat first. When I had the East Gate, where the bomb truck convoys would come in, the kitchen could be seen at the top of the hill next to the fire department where they overlooked the entrance to the bomb receiving area. The typical day was in the high 90s or more and you could see the supplies for the kitchen sitting out in the sun. Being where I was I was the first to get a box meal. After thanking the patrol that dropped it off, I would walk into the shack and put the two cartons of milk (?) into the water chest and sit back and wait. eventually the jeep would each Law Enforcement control where they would eat. Soon they would come over the radio and let everyone know what was not spoiled. Once the call was made, you threw the appropriate items away. The rest you could eat fairly safely or maybe trade to your friendly Thai Guard for some of his home made food or give it to the local marine you always had at the gates.

On rare occasions you could use it to make a date with one of the local girls who might be walking by.

One day while waiting for the food warning call I grabbed the egg, figuring that you can't screw up some thing so simple. I cracked the shell on the carrying handle of my GAU and the fresh egg ran down into the vent holes of my weapon. I had to use most of my water to flush it out, call for a refill and explain why.