1/48 Spitfire LF Mk.IXc (Eduard)

Hi everyone!

I have a week off, so it's perfect time to start new model :) . This time it's well known Eduard's Spitfire Mk.IXc in 1/48 scale. This will be my first prop since...I don't even remember when, probably something like early nineties (when I was a teenager). My plan is to have a quick, fun build without any aftermarket, completely OOB.

Traditionally, I'll start with box art picture:

DSC05767_zpsptpnasp3.jpg

Progress so far:

DSC05769_2_zpsdidyjfna.jpg

Some of the plastic had to be removed for canopy in closed position:

DSC05771_zpsbz13w9by.jpg

And with doors glued in position:

DSC05776_zps4orxozs5.jpg

My first impressions are very good, fit is perfect and only if you want to build model with closed canopy some cutting and sanding is required.

Stay tuned for more!

I'll 2nd that. The Eduard kit builds up to a fantastic display piece. the cockpit is very well detailed and needs nothing more, especially since the 3 pc IP is included. The only issue you'll have with the build for some strange reason is the two piece engine cowl. The seam on every build I've seen including my own just resists disappearing using putty and primer. The only way I got it go vanish is with a final coat of thin CCA glue. The decals are absolutely dead on in color, registration, and lay down perfectly. Looking forward to following your build. Here's a picture of my completed Spit Mk.IXc late version.

Joel

DSC_1862.jpg

Edited by Joel_W
This will be my first prop since...I don't even remember when, probably something like early nineties (when I was a teenager). My plan is to have a quick, fun build without any aftermarket, completely OOB.

Ha! You sound like me.. I've just started building props because I became bored with some badly fitting jet kits. Finished one Spitfire and loved the fact it went together in no time. So now I've accumulated a pile of Spitfires, Seafires, FW190's, BF109's and a Tempest that I need to get through.

I'll be watching!

Edited by avgass

Many thanks for comments guys!

@Joel_W

I was following your build - that's when I decided to buy this kit and give it a go. Thanks for heads up about the engine cowl issue, I guess my build will be no different :). BTW that's a lovely looking Spitfire.

@avgrass

I hear you :). Plus, you don't have to worry about the jet intakes and nozzles.

Update from the bench:

Pit finished and fitted in to fuselage:

DSC05788_gallery_zpsxdqig5pn.jpg

DSC05791_gallery_zpsyyg1xuku.jpg

DSC05799_gallery_zpspeaborx4.jpg

Wow that cockpit looks great! I had some issues with the cowl area as well on mine...but it could have been more from the PE dash not aligning properly...

Thanks nicholassagan! Not sure if that's what you're talking about, but there is a gap just in front of the cockpit. It got bigger when I fitted the wings. First time I had to use some putty...

DSC05806_gallery_zpsk40egprl.jpg

DSC05810_gallery_zpsdobxegtz.jpg

BJ Blazkowicz,

Excellent job on the completed cockpit. I just love how the combination of PE and plastic work so well together for a really nice scale effect. The pilot armor plating looks really in scale as plastic would have just been to thick.

Glad that my build got you to try a prop for a change. Us old timers will always be prop men at heart.

As for that gap, I had one and sanded/files the Eduard IP assembly down till it fit without any binding issues. For all open seams like that, I would have filled it with Gel CCA 1st, then followed after sanding with a coat of putty. The CCA won't shrink and dries rock hard. The putty will shrink a little more over time, and cause the seam to reappear, as well as becoming brittle and prone to cracking as there is nothing supporting it from the bottom.

Joel

Edited by Joel_W

As for that gap, I had one and sanded/files the Eduard IP assembly down till it fit without any binding issues.

I'm about half done with a IXc early, and that's exactly what I did. I used the Barracuda interior set, but it seems to be common (good to know it wasn't me!).

Looks great so far! Keep posting updates!

Thanks Joel! Once the putty is dry, I'll cover it with layer of CA.

BJ Blazkowicz,

That's the best option as of now. More then a few times I've filled a gap with no bottom of plastic or glue with just Squadron Green stuff (now I use automotive Bondo glazing), and there is nothing really to support the putty. So if the area got stressed from holding the molding or trying to fit wings etc. the joint area will twist in opposite directions and the putty often cracks as it's not strong enough to hold the two surfaces in proper alignment. The glue will do that. Gel CCA or epoxy is your best bet for those type of issues.

Joel

Again, thanks for comments

Following Joel's advice (thanks Joel!) I sanded the putty and applied layer of CA. I had to go with thin Loctite Super Glue (only one I got).

DSC05816_gallery_zpsx491yiph.jpg

DSC05815_gallery_zpst6kj0w7a.jpg

After an hour I sanded it and it looks like gap is gone. Obviously, I won't know for sure before coat of primer:) Anyway, I used CA as a putty for the first time, and I think I found my favorite filler :)/>

DSC05826_gallery2_zpsssxvbuap.jpg

Next, Merlin's exhaust. There must have been an issue with sliding mold, since there was a flash on one of the sides. I removed it, but all nice pipe detail was gone as well...

DSC05819_gallery_zpsiqxhnbz4.jpg

DSC05824_gallery_zpsinbdlbr2.jpg

Still, the fit is perfect again...

DSC05826_gallery_zpsubvo73pz.jpg

And last one for today:

DSC05827_gallery_zpsnozk6sg5.jpg

It's been a good day. Hopefully I will primed it tomorrow.

Thanks!

Edited by BJ Blazkowicz

BJ Blazkowicz,

Lookin' good.

I also use either a med thick CCA like Gorilla Glue, or my favorite is what you used: Loctite Super Gel. Extra thin sucks as a filler as it almost the consistency of water and you'll need layers to get a even fill. The Gels are perfect for these type of applications. I only use Bondo Glazing putty when I need to blend and feather. And not beats auto glazing for that. Strange thing about CCA glues is that they harden but aren't rock hard for a hour or so. Depending on the amount I use, I start to sand within 30 min to an hour. Leaving it for the next day becomes an exercise in frustration as the CCA glue has hardened to a nearly rock like consistency. Checkout your work with a little hand brushed on primer just to make sure that you don't need to do any more sanding later on. Let the primer dry and polish it out. Any little imperfections will be sealed as well.

Joel

Hello

Another busy day in the office:

First, I had to tackle the gap on engine cowling. I gave it CA treatment

DSC05831_gallery_zpsyvfixhrq.jpg

Sanded, panel lined re-scribed

DSC05834_gallery_zps5ktkc6pq.jpg

Main assembly finished, ready for painting :)!

DSC05840_gallery_zpsbwoehhhg.jpg

Cockpit green first. I used it to check for gaps on front upper section.

DSC05844_gallery_zps74ag0qfx.jpg

Closer inspection revealed faint gap between fuel cap and windscreen (barely visible on the picture below).

DSC05847_gallery_zpshszknlr0.jpg

I applied CA again and gap is gone. Priming first thing in the morning tomorrow.

Thanks!

BJ Blazkowicz,

Excellent job with the CCA glue for those seams. You became an expert literally over night. Glad to see that you went with Black Basing for a primer. I just did the same on my PV-1 build, and the results are amazing, especially those light bottom fuselage colors. And yours looks fantastic.

Joel

BJ Blazkowicz,

Interesting concept using green verses black or a dark grey. I would tend to think that the green would change not only the tone, but the actual top colors as it's not related to neutral gray. What I'm really impressed with is your controlled color/tone variation of individual panels. I can easily see myself using that as the last step in Black Basing.

Joel