CD48102 - F-104C in Vietnam

Hi!

I guess you know this site: My link

IMHO the best reference on the subject.

I think Paolo is talking about the antenna under the rear canopy. Look here: My link

Scroll down to aircraft 57-927 and check the lower right pic. It is also shown in several pics further down.

HTH,

Joerg

You know I never really had any interest in the F-104C as being Canadian I pretty much concentrated on our versions. I knew they were several great looking schemes and camouflage too but too many models, not enough time. However seeing your announcement as well as having a quick look at the link to that site may make me change my mind. Looking forward to seeing some profiles.

As for that antenna, that is something I hardly ever noticed before. I think a decal would represent that pretty nicely. Is that only on the C version?

As for that antenna, that is something I hardly ever noticed before. I think a decal would represent that pretty nicely. Is that only on the C version?

Even with the tight tolerances that Cartograf allows, there will be some carrier film visible around the borders of the antenna decal - I am not sure how that would look when applied to a transparent part from the inside, but I will provide a couple. It looks like PE would be the ideal material for it.

Even with the tight tolerances that Cartograf allows, there will be some carrier film visible around the borders of the antenna decal - I am not sure how that would look when applied to a transparent part from the inside, but I will provide a couple. It looks like PE would be the ideal material for it.

Hi Kursad

Thanks for the quick reply. Here is an idea, how about go the other route and make the carrier film BIGGER so it extends to the edges of the canopy so now no carrier film edge is visible. In this case tight tolerance may not be a good thing. Just an idea since that canopy section does not seem to be too big.

Hi Kursad

Thanks for the quick reply. Here is an idea, how about go the other route and make the carrier film BIGGER so it extends to the edges of the canopy so now no carrier film edge is visible. In this case tight tolerance may not be a good thing. Just an idea since that canopy section does not seem to be too big.

Hi!

I'd rather like a normal decal with the clear decal film kept to the minimum possible, because the decal film will never be as clear as the transparancy and the antenna was most probably stuck to the canopy with some film anyway.

Just my opinion.

Cheers,

Joerg

The antenna in question is the VOR antenna, I think it may only be present on Cs and Ds as I haven't seen it in photos of the many exported Gs or Js.

Since the real antenna is "glued" to the inner canopy surface I think visible carrier film might actually enhance the realism in this case.

I think this would work very well as a decal. Much like the Det cord that is inside a harrier, or those canopy seal decals being done by 'another' decal guy. From what I have learned, if you apply on the polished plastic (with setting solution), then dip in future, the carrier film disappears.

so I say run with it. Provide at least 2 (or 3) on the sheet if you can so if we mess one up there is an extra.

• 3 months later...

Hi Kursad,

Very good choice to run with the One-Oh-Four!! ;)

Do you have some (teaser) artwork to show?

Although I've seen you post earlier that 1/32 isn't particularly interesting commercially for you, maybe you could consider to market these decals for the 1/32 Italeri F-104C too?

Cheers,

Erik.

• 2 months later...

This is the final design of the sheet, which will be part of the May batch of releases. Some familiar choices on the sheet, and some not done before : "Snoopy Sniper" is there (complete with the

"NancyJ" that should be on the other side), and so are "Pussycat","Smoke II" and "Show Me". I provided markings for the earlier scheme before the aircraft were camouflaged, as well as white and black alternatives for serial numbers; which seem to have been white at first on many aircraft.

cd48102.jpg