Guys, Gals can we please ditch the huge

There are rules governing the Sig's but it seems the Mods turn a blind eye towards them.

I used to PM gross offenders, but it seems futile.

Now if we could educate posters to not use the reply button for every response, which essentially quotes the post along with all photo's shown, I just love scrolling past 8 photo's I just viewed to see a remark like "Nice build"....

Curt

Banners and Sig Line Images

Many of ARC's readers like to use banners or images attached to their sig lines to identify themselves with personal interests, or group builds that they are participating in. In the interest of conserving bandwidth and reducing page load times, we ask that banners loaded to a member's profile be no larger than 750 x 150 pixels wide. If you need help re-sizing a banner, please contact any member of the admin staff, and they will assist you. Banners that exceed these size dimensions are subject to removal without notice. Multiple banners that exceed these dimensions will also be removed. In the near future, we will be re-visiting this topic, and the maximum banner area may wind up being reduced. If you are participating in multiple group builds, we suggest that you combine smaller banners to stay within the 750 x 150 constraints. * Remember, if you don't wish to view images, emoticons, or banners, you can turn them off by going to My Controls and adjusting your preferences under Options: Board Settings

I agree that sigs need to be reduced in size. I don't want to turn them off totally because sometimes there is useful information there.

Now if we could educate posters to not use the reply button for every response

Maybe you can institute a "rep" or "like" button that visibly adds to the user's reputation count so people can agree with a post without a post of their own.

There are rules governing the Sig's but it seems the Mods turn a blind eye towards them.

I used to PM gross offenders, but it seems futile.

Now if we could educate posters to not use the reply button for every response, which essentially quotes the post along with all photo's shown, I just love scrolling past 8 photo's I just viewed to see a remark like "Nice build"....

Curt

Banners and Sig Line Images

Many of ARC's readers like to use banners or images attached to their sig lines to identify themselves with personal interests, or group builds that they are participating in. In the interest of conserving bandwidth and reducing page load times, we ask that banners loaded to a member's profile be no larger than 750 x 150 pixels wide. If you need help re-sizing a banner, please contact any member of the admin staff, and they will assist you. Banners that exceed these size dimensions are subject to removal without notice. Multiple banners that exceed these dimensions will also be removed. In the near future, we will be re-visiting this topic, and the maximum banner area may wind up being reduced. If you are participating in multiple group builds, we suggest that you combine smaller banners to stay within the 750 x 150 constraints. * Remember, if you don't wish to view images, emoticons, or banners, you can turn them off by going to My Controls and adjusting your preferences under Options: Board Settings

Here here!

I have another suggestion, which may or may not be popular. In WIP threads, some guys post individual responses to each and every response, usually thanking them for their kind feedback and blah, blah, blah. While some may feel the need to respond to ALL feedback, you can do this in a single post with several quotes and responses to save a LOT of space within the thread. Right now, there are several WIP threads with pages and pages of these responses that are so long, I can't find any modeling, so I quit looking at certain authors because it's so annoying.

OK, maybe it's just me and I'm just a cranky old man! :rolleyes:

signatures or what ever they are. They make a one line post take up the whole screen. I love pictures but not the same one over and over...

While I generally agree, what's the cut-off between OK and super annoying? I obviously think that mine's OK, or I wouldn't have it, but how big is too big?

Whilst we are in whinging mode..... may I raise one of my pet hates???

Those who start a thread with the subject of 'Question' or 'Need Help' or 'Can Anybody Help' without listing about what ???

It means I have to do all the work to find out what the poster actually wants!

A simple 'Question about XXX' would save me having to click on those subjects I know nothing about or have no interest in.

If I see a subject line like the ones above, I tend now not to bother opening it.

.... and don't get me started about those posters who seem to trawl through all the current posts and reply with 'Great' or 'Nice' or 'Great model'.

You can see them in each Thread within a Forum - dozens of replies by the same poster - presumably just to increase their post counts ???

Rant mode off...

Ken

I have another suggestion, which may or may not be popular. In WIP threads, some guys post individual responses to each and every response, usually thanking them for their kind feedback and blah, blah, blah. While some may feel the need to respond to ALL feedback, you can do this in a single post with several quotes and responses to save a LOT of space within the thread. Right now, there are several WIP threads with pages and pages of these responses that are so long, I can't find any modeling, so I quit looking at certain authors because it's so annoying.

OK, maybe it's just me and I'm just a cranky old man! :rolleyes:/>

Chuck,

It's not just you, there are at least two of us cranky old men who feel this way!

Cheers,

Tom

.... and don't get me started about those posters who seem to trawl through all the current posts and reply with 'Great' or 'Nice' or 'Great model'.

You can see them in each Thread within a Forum - dozens of replies by the same poster - presumably just to increase their post counts ???

Rant mode off...

Ken

88629-Jim-Carrey-laughing-gif-Liar-L-Gtdr.gif

Now here's one thread I feel right at home in. :) I've had signatures turned off for ages, works well. The point above re, reposting a heap of pictures, didn't anyone learn how to edit a reply?

I do think a like button would work well, having gotten used to it on Britmodeller, I often go looking for it on this & other forums. When I realise there isn't one, I tend to move on rather than leave just another back slap to increase my post count. I could go on & on but then, I'd be right into grumpy old man territory. :D

Steve.

Thanks for letting me know about turning off some content that

I don't necessarily agree with. Life is much more live able now.

Don't like certain things "pushed" on me.---John

Edited by john53

I agree that sigs need to be reduced in size. I don't want to turn them off totally because sometimes there is useful information there.

Maybe you can institute a "rep" or "like" button that visibly adds to the user's reputation count so people can agree with a post without a post of their own.

Above is a perfect example how to correctly use the "reply" button, use it, edit out all subject matter except what you'd like to comment on, and post.

Well done spejic.

I also find it ironic that some of the posters here have some of the Sig's in question....

Curt

Edited by Netz

I think some of the large animated gifs in sigs are a problem for ARC'ers with slower connections......but my guess is those people probably turn off sigs out of necessity.

Yep, I had to do it back when all I had was dial-up. I had it set to not display avatars, signatures and inline images. Pages loaded really quickly that way.

Since I moved and have a decent cable connection I've enabled inline images only.

Ken

Edited by kenlilly106

Yep, I had to do it back when all I had was dial-up. I had it set to not display avatars, signatures and inline images. Pages loaded really quickly that way.

Since I moved and have a decent cable connection I've enabled inline images only.

Ken

My speed at home is 30mbps but on a recent trip to the Philippines my speed was anywhere from 0.25mbps during peak times to 2.5mbps at 3AM. And of course there were hours each day when the speed was so low I couldn't get a signal to surf or a page would take minutes to load. I still remember my days of dial-up with a modem.

Those who start a thread with the subject of 'Question' or 'Need Help' or 'Can Anybody Help' without listing about what ???

Amen! I wrote about this earlier this year.

http://www.scalemodelsoup.com/2014/06/this-is-about-something.html

Steven Brown

Scale Model Soup

Amen! I wrote about this earlier this year.

http://www.scalemodelsoup.com/2014/06/this-is-about-something.html

Steven Brown

Scale Model Soup

I just thought of something.

In the 2+ years I've been here the multi-quote button never worked.

If it had, that would cut my post count by at least a third. It would be a much longer post, but only one.

Are you sure it doesn't work? :woot.gif:

Click multi-quote in the first post you want to quote

Click multi-quote in the second post you want to quote

Click the "Add Reply" button at the very very bottom...it is next the the "Start New Topic" button

It took me years and years to figure it out. I'm not so great at computers it seems. :lol:

Just because one can disable signatures does not mean that those that do not should have half of their screen filled by junk. As even this thread has demonstrated...

we ask that banners loaded to a member's profile be no larger than 750 x 150 pixels wide.

Pretty sure 562x374 pix > 750x150... Ironically vince14's signature gif is slightly too large too...

On my computer monitor, red doesn't show up very well. Something to do with bad pixals or something. So could we ban using that color? Unless I'm on my wife's laptop, then it's ok. And I really don't like words that start with the letter Q. It's hard for me to read when I have my computer set-up with small fonts and I have to try to understand what an ouater panel is because the Q looks like an O. :bandhead2:/>

Edited by niart17