35 members have voted

1. 1. Which is your favorite TIE type?

• Classic TIE Fighter
    • TIE Advanced (Vader's mount)
    • TIE Interceptor
    • TIE Bomber

I find myself wondering this from time to time. Just for myself, the original, classic TIE was fine but never really moved me. Neither did Vader's Advanced bird. But when RotJ came out, I finally saw a worthy adversary in the form of the Interceptor version.

However, I have a feeling I'm in the minority on that one....but maybe not!

How about everyone else?

Edited by Andrew D. the Jolly Rogers guy

I actually liked the original, as it was simple and clean, but the Interceptor adds a nice cool look, so of the three it's my favorite.

Like Rypp73 and Model-Junkie, I like the TIE Defender a lot too. I have an old resin kit of it I'll get around to building someday...

Edited by Ken Cartwright

Always liked Vader's TIE myself (and the Inquisitor's TIE because it was so similar). Something about those canted inwards solar panels and longer rear portion (almost like a deck)made it look so cool. But the new red and black Special Forces TIES in the new movie also look pretty cool. Never liked the TIE tank at all.

Doh! :doh: Can't believe I forgot the bomber! Just added it....

And wow...I really thought the Classic TIE would win hands-down given the number of model builds of it, with the Interceptor being dead-last for the same reason....nice to know I'm not alone!!

In regards to the TIE Shuttle if this is the shuttle Captain Needa takes to apologise to Vader then the wings canter outwards.

This is the original storyboard of that scene and the image shows the wings differ from the Bomber version.

http://www.therpf.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=55116&d=1306869323

Edited by dean1967

The Lamda class shuttles didn't make their appearance until the Return of the Jedi movie, so I don't think they'd been designed when The Empire Strikes Back came out.

The Lambda Class Shuttles came out just after the Empire conquered the Wookie home world (well before Empire Strikes Back as well as a New Hope). So they were indeed used prior to the events in Empire Strikes Back. They replaced the Theta-Class Shuttles:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Theta-class_T-2c_shuttle

Besides, TIE-shuttles were used only by lower ranking officers and non-officers. So Captain Needa would most likely not have taken a TIE-shuttle.

Regards,

Don.

Not to complain, but isn't the "TIE Boat" in the above display really just the original Kenner toy?? Looks just like the one I had!

Also, am I right in thinking the "TIE X1" and "TIE X2" are just alternate views of Vader's mount?

The Lambda Class Shuttles came out just after the Empire conquered the Wookie home world (well before Empire Strikes Back as well as a New Hope). So they were indeed used prior to the events in Empire Strikes Back. They replaced the Theta-Class Shuttles:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Theta-class_T-2c_shuttle

Besides, TIE-shuttles were used only by lower ranking officers and non-officers. So Captain Needa would most likely not have taken a TIE-shuttle.

Regards,

Don.

I'm referring to a movie production standpoint. The production team hadn't designed them (or the model builders hadn't built them) until they started work on Return of the Jedi.

There's a guy in the 501st Legion I sometimes see when I troop (I'm in the Rebel Legion) and that's his; definitely what I'd be if I was one of the baddies. Although he's always hot as all heck in that thing....

Wonder if he'd sell a costume...

I'm sure they're hot but they're sweet looking. That or an AT-AT pilot's uniform. I like the helmets with the hoses and such.

I've checked out the 501st a bunch but they're all about making your own which I know zip zero about.

I'm referring to a movie production standpoint. The production team hadn't designed them (or the model builders hadn't built them) until they started work on Return of the Jedi.

Bottom line, according to the Star Wars Cannon Needa only had one option as Captain for a shuttle and a TIE was not it.

Cheers!

Edited by Don

Well, now that it looks like the voting has leveled out for now, I have to say I'm stunned...I thought for sure the Classic TIE would have easily won, based on the number of builds and available kits out there. Furthermore, I had no idea the Interceptor had so much support, beyond myself.

So, I'm glad I asked! Thanks everyone :cheers: