Good evenint to all,

This is my contribution to this group-build. The good-old ESCI Skyhawk in 1/72. It has some issues, like the raised details on the wings/slats in closed position but, overall, it is a very nice and accurate kit of the famous aircraft.

A-4_E-F_zpsk2cmnlxm.jpg

ESCI gives three markings options; one for VF-101, and two for NFWS. Not very accurate paint schemes, especially the VF-101 scheme - two greens. As far as I know, VF-101 never had an aircraft with this paint scheme so, I'm gonna have to check my references and see which paint scheme I can do.

I'm thinking of improving the cockpit but, I might just leave it as it is, with the canopy closed (ESCI gives the canopy as a one-piece clear part).

More to follow soon. Thank you for your attention guys!!!

Sernak

Hi Specij,

Yes, VF-101 had the role of DACM, from 1975 until 1984 (if I'm not mistaken), using two types of aircrafts, the A-4 and the F-4. My notice above was that VF-101 never had a Skyhawk with the paint scheme that ESCI is giving in the instructions. The only scheme that comes close to that is another one that has two blues.

BTW, for some reason I can't see the photo you're referring to. If it's easy, could you please post it here? (perhaps it has to do with the fact that I have an old web browser)

Sernak

BTW, for some reason I can't see the photo you're referring to. If it's easy, could you please post it here?

That site won't let me, but I found a smaller, blurrier picture of the jet on your decal sheet:

tn_800x600_074_a4e_skyhawk_151056_074_vf101_1972.jpg

VF-101_DKW_zpsnmiof4so.jpg

Hi Spejic,

This is the paint scheme that ESCI gives for the aircraft from VF-101 we're talking about. Two greens instead of two blues!!! :hmmm:/>

I can guess that the lighter grey-blue could be the FS-35164 but, for the darker one I have no idea!

The other thing that I have to deal with right now is the raised details on the wings. I'm gonna have to re-scribe them because when I'll paint the model it will be difficult to sand it without loosing some of them. :angry:/>

Back to the bench!!! I'll post some photos on Sunday.

Edited by SERNAK

Good evening guys!

Got some progress with this kit. Unfortunately, it has a lot of issues, mainly because it is a very old kit and what I mean with this is that the plastic has hardened to the point that if you try to bent it even just a little bit it cracks and breaks!!! For example, the lower part of the wing is no longer just one part!! It's three parts glued together!!! Oh boy!!!

Moreover, it is warped. Where you may I ask - well, have a look.

Warped-1_zpsf6j3qs2e.jpg

Warped-2_zpslfui5qef.jpg

Warped-3_zpsfp0m3dia.jpg

Warped-7_zpsapkhyykm.jpg

Warped-4_zpsbxq6rpdk.jpg

Warped-5_zps1kt7zjge.jpg

Warped-6_zpshetps9ik.jpg

It also has some gaps and the cockpit parts are a bit off-scale.

Feel free to comment and/or suggest any kind of improvements guys!!! Thanks for watching.

I'm very sad of the problem you discovered mate,maybe an hairdryer can help you,I used thi trick for the wing of my other actual build,a Trumpy F-100.

Anyway,good subject.

Gianni

Grazie mille Gianni.

I have never heard of the technique you're mentioning (only the one with the 'boiled-water') but, I'll give it a try!!!

Sernak

• 3 weeks later...

Hello lads,

Not much of a progress I'm afraid. I have worked a bit on the cockpit/ejection seat - still need some refinements here and there. Now, I'm focusing on the wing / vertical stabilizer.

Thank you for your attention and feel free to comment.

Layer-3_zps5mfy41dr.jpg

Layer-2_zpsqfifx8nm.jpg

Edited by SERNAK