scan0102-1.jpg

The salvage yard near P.O.L. and the gate leading to the deep water port. We managed to get some supplies that we needed, like web gear, canteens, and a few other things that we had a hard time getting from our own squadron supply. It go to a point that a couple guys were wearing things left over from WWII they found in a local open market.

The last leg of the bomb convoy route. From here they crossed the road and entered into the East gate where they would be looked over by whoever was on duty there. They would stand on a aircraft maintenance stand and look into the open trucks to see if anybody was hiding between the bombs.

scan0101-2.jpg

The gate leading to U-Tapao village:

scan0155.jpg

Same location looking toward the Navy ramp:

scan0032-4.jpg

A roadside stop outside the east gate:

scan0042-3.jpg

They were eventually caught selling stolen truck parts they got on the base.

Part of the perimeter near the back gate:

scan0087-2.jpg

Part of the beach perimeter:

scan0089-2.jpg

Just beyond the tower and fence is U-Tapao village and to the right was the outdoor theater.

Part of the on base jungle area near the runways:

scan0086-2.jpg

Burning some of the high grass with 81mm flares:

scan0079-2-1.jpg

The main chapel:

scan0040-3.jpg

Edited by ikar

I was born a bit too late for Utapao's golden age. Always glad to see how my hometown looked like in the past. The road in the second picture also was the way to my kindergarten where in late '80 I experienced some nice visual and sound from several regular US visitors on approaching such as a huge euro green C-5 Galaxy with horrible and unique noise, C-130, C-141 and P-3 as well as host Royal Thai Navy F27, CL-215, S-2F etc. directly over my head almost daily basis. Thanks for sharing! :thumbsup: