Revell 1/32 OH-6A converted to AH-6C. WIP

The X was actually a + and placed about eye level in front of the right or left seat. While training, instructors sit in the left seat. On a mission the aircraft commander sits in the right seat. I'd put the + Å“ the right side. GT

Jacksdad, keep up the great work on this AH-6C. Even if you don't have a minigun on your bench right now, there is still plenty to be getting on with and the cabin detail you have scratch-built so far is top notch.

GT, did the AH-6F ever fly or test-fly with a second rocket pod replacing the minigun on the left side? I've never seen a rocket pod mounted on the fuselage below the left rear door but I guess it wouldn't be impossible to rig it up. I'd guess the one-pod-and-one-gun was the most versatile combination for real world missions.

LD.

Here's a later model showing the pod on the left side with minimum. These models were post AHJ-6C variants and had a Plank System. I'll check with someone tomorrow to find out when the plank system was first used and if it was on the F's or G's.

Little%20Bird%20Guns%20Small_zpsy7t4yzxu.png

Couldn't resist a wee dry fit of the M-260 to check for position and alignment.

20151101_092100_zpsmgtcos0k.jpg

Hey Jacksdad, are you going to cut the forward doors out? Check out this photo for the authentic look. We never flew with doors on. I remember once an admiral asked me "where do you stow the hatches" to which I responded that we didn't fly with doors on, ever.

may82.08_zpsokupff3k.jpg

Hi Graham,

I'm going with the first picture that I posted on here that show the front doors on.

Range41Jan821_zps3pnmt9bg.jpg

Any chance you could confirm the colour of the glazing above the crew?

Steve

Edited by jacksdad

Hi Graham,

I'm going with the first picture that I posted on here that show the front doors on.

Range41Jan821_zps3pnmt9bg.jpg

Any chance you could confirm the colour of the glazing above the crew?

Steve

I think if was clear Steve. I'm looking for some pictures for you. GT

I think if was clear Steve. I'm looking for some pictures for you. GT

Thank you Graham. It's just that I seem to remember reading somewhere that they were smoked.

Steve

Edited by jacksdad

Here's a later model showing the pod on the left side with minimum. These models were post AHJ-6C variants and had a Plank System. I'll check with someone tomorrow to find out when the plank system was first used and if it was on the F's or G's.

Little%20Bird%20Guns%20Small_zpsy7t4yzxu.png

I went through my references and the only Little Bird I've found with just two 7-shot rocket pods fitted was the first AH-6G that was test-flown with all sorts of weapons combinations. The pods were mounted on "Universal Mount" pylons that never went into use with operational LBs (as far as I can tell).

Great work, JD. What did you use to replicate the dial faces on the instrument panel? They look really good.

LD.

Hey Jacksdad, are you going to cut the forward doors out? Check out this photo for the authentic look. We never flew with doors on. I remember once an admiral asked me "where do you stow the hatches" to which I responded that we didn't fly with doors on, ever.

may82.08_zpsokupff3k.jpg

Nice build. May I make an observation, I believe the kit skids are too tall for your build.

From the pictures posted, you would need to lower the skids quite a bit to make it sit properly.

I am far from being an expert on the OH-6 but I recall that they have both low and tall gear.

Regards,

Chris

Edited by alouette2

Nice build. May I make an observation, I believe the kit skids are too tall for your build.

From the pictures posted, you would need to lower the skids quite a bit to make it sit properly.

Thanks for the observation Chris. I'll see if I can find out the different heights to see how much to take off.

Steve

Thanks for the observation Chris. I'll see if I can find out the different heights to see how much to take off.

Steve

The length of the skid legs in the kit should be fine. It might be just that the angle they are attached at when viewed from the front isn't quite right. To give a lower sit, spread the skids a little. It should be fine then. The "sit height" of any full-size OH-6 or 500 depends on how much gas is in the oleo strut shock absorbers and it seems to vary quite a lot.

LD.