Revell 1/32 OH-6A converted to AH-6C. WIP

I am building a number of helicopters used by 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment of the U.S. Army, more commonly known as the Night Stalkers. As I have just finished one of the Blackhawks used during Operation Gothic Serpent ( Blackhawk Down incident ) and I am also building one of their MH-47G Chinooks, I thought I would build a Little Bird next. There are quite a few I plan on building so I thought I should start with one of the first Little Birds used by them.

This is the one I will be building.

Range41Jan821_zps3pnmt9bg.jpg

I will be using this kit, which is cheaper and easier to get than the Dragon OH-6A Cayuse.

20151029_150856_zpsj6oc3atg.jpg

There is not a lot in the box.

20151029_150933_zpsnbmdpdwm.jpg

Close up of the fuselage. Quite a good rendition of the rivet strewn sides of most helicopters.

20151029_151018_zpsqfducvqx.jpg

Here is a picture which, if you look closely, shows the fabricated bracket used to attach the rocket pod to the side of the fuselage, along with a support rod (with white cable)

OutWest800009_zps69snwkzy.jpg

Edited by jacksdad

Cutting off the rear door's.

20151030_085723_zpsm6mnt21w.jpg

20151030_090744_zps0oejewsz.jpg

As the fuselage is open fronted and big enough I have glued the two fuselage halves together.

20151030_094232_zpseelb5xv9.jpg

I have a couple of Dragon Little Bird's, one of which will be getting the CMK interior, which meant I have a spare cockpit. The Dragon one is much better detailed than the Revell one so it will be used. I am expecting to have to shim the sides in places as the Dragon kit is 1/35 and the Revell is 1/32.

I am also using the rocket pods from the Dragon kit as one of them will be built using the Black Ops MH-6J conversion.

20151030_095103_zpsba3jjjgi.jpg

I build a while back an MD500E that has the same armament as the one you are building.

I scratchbuilt the rocket pod mount, the pod itself is from Fireball Modelworks, minigun body and ammo box is scratch, so as the minigun sight, the barrell of the minigun is from RB model.

I have more photos if you like.

Greetings.

Rod.

DSC07031_zps9f4753dd.jpg

Edited by salvador001

Looks like a great project. I do want to mention that the images you posted are from our very own Graham Stevens (AH-6C SIP) who was kind enough to share his images with me and allow me to post them here. We have the best AH-16C refs around here on ARC thanks to GT.

Ray

Edited by rotorwash

This morning I used some of the Eduard etch set to add some detail to the front cockpit.

20151031_093221_zpshvukaqdg.jpg

As the rear cabin floor on the Dragon part was to low and to narrow I added some plasticard with some square rod to bring it up level with the bottom of the rear door area.

20151031_094351_zpsocskb1md.jpg

The rear cabin of 298 has a metal box with what appears to be some kind of mounting for a comms box. I have added the box and a mount on each side. There will also be some baggage added later.

20151031_094515_zpssvm3piko.jpg

20151031_093144_zpseiflq6bd.jpg

20151031_093325_zpsyxqdqwad.jpg

Thanks. My understanding is that 17298 had rocket pods on both sides.

Pretty sure that the weapons configuration could vary. This is a subject that is near and dear to me, will be following with interest. Great start so far!

John

Looks like you are coming right along nicely. Just a note, 298, nor any of the original six AH-6C's had two pods. They only had one intervelometer. And for authenticity sake don't put that silly M27 sight on your build... we used a grease pencil X on the canopy to sight with.

Regards, GT

Jacksdad, keep up the great work on this AH-6C. Even if you don't have a minigun on your bench right now, there is still plenty to be getting on with and the cabin detail you have scratch-built so far is top notch.

GT, did the AH-6F ever fly or test-fly with a second rocket pod replacing the minigun on the left side? I've never seen a rocket pod mounted on the fuselage below the left rear door but I guess it wouldn't be impossible to rig it up. I'd guess the one-pod-and-one-gun was the most versatile combination for real world missions.

LD.

Looks like you are coming right along nicely. Just a note, 298, nor any of the original six AH-6C's had two pods. They only had one intervelometer. And for authenticity sake don't put that silly M27 sight on your build... we used a grease pencil X on the canopy to sight with.

Regards, GT

And that's why we have the best AH-6C info on the net! Nothing like good intel. Whoever invented that M27 sight must have never had to fly with it. Freaking stake perfectly positioned to go through your head!

Ray