F4 exhaust painting

Hi guys

I am sure this has been asked many times, and if there is a thread that someone knows of please let me know. Does anyone know of a step by step process for painting the bare metal area on a Phantom's exhaust. I prefer Model Master paints as Alclad doesn't seem to be readily available in Montreal. Thanks

Whiskey just posted this on another thread. It shows very nicely how the exhaust area SHOULD look for Phantoms before they got smokeless engines. Smokeless engines began appearing in the early 1980s, and it seems they were replacing the old smokey engines slowly throughout the 1980s. It was not too unusual to see Phantoms during that time with one smokey and one smokeless engine. It wasn't until around 1985 or so that the smokeless engines became predominate. If you model a Vietnam-era Phantom it should look like this photo, not like so many models with all the discolored burnt metal shades:

F-4DwithAIM-7EAIM-4DALQ-87andMk-82-1.jpg

The F-4N was the first version with quasi smokeless engines starting in '72 when Project Bee Line began to convert the B to an N. The J followed but they supposedly were introduced with a less smoke producing engine. Those got better, too, when they started converting them to the S. Not sure when the USAF or exports started with improved engines.

Masterguns

The F-4N was the first version with quasi smokeless engines starting in '72 when Project Bee Line began to convert the B to an N. The J followed but they supposedly were introduced with a less smoke producing engine. Those got better, too, when they started converting them to the S. Not sure when the USAF or exports started with improved engines.

Masterguns

Thanks for that, I should've been more specific that smokeless engines didn't start to appear on USAF machines until the very late 70s or early 80s. When I got to George AFB in February 1982 hardly any of the six squadrons' worth of the F-4Es and Gs there had smokeless, and often the few jets that had them had one of each. By the time my tour at Ramstein ended in May 1986 most of our Phantoms were carrying smokeless engines.

I was told the earliest smokeless engines in the USAF had been intended for Iran but after the Shah fell we kept them. I have no idea if that story is true but it seems plausible.

I saw some F-4Ss at a Red Flag at Nellis in 1989, they all had smokeless motors, making even less smoke than the F-15s there.

Edited by Scott R Wilson