CD72046 - DHC-6 Twin Otter

The Canadians know their stuff for sure but as a francophone (from Europe) I can tell you that there is no bad grammar whatsoever. Just like a fellow anglophone I (and everyone else where I live) would use capital first letters in such instances. That is unless what is written there on the airplane isn't the name of an institution but just a cute quote/ motto...

You have a good eye, Kursad! Well spotted!

Looking forward to this.

Cheers,

Niki

• 2 weeks later...

So, which one is correct - "canadiennes" or "Canadiennes"? One would think this would be standard.. It looks like the first one is more common.

dilemma_eh_01.jpg

I wouldn't say either is more common. The entire fleet was painted with the Capitol C to start with.

Someone pointed out the correct francophone spelling and the fleet has since had this area repainted. I confirmed this with the units aircraft maintenance officer.

When I worked Twin Otters we had nine aircraft. The current fleet has 802, ,803, 804, & 805.

The Queen and Prince Phillip flew on 804.

I wouldn't say either is more common. The entire fleet was painted with the Capitol C to start with.

Someone pointed out the correct francophone spelling and the fleet has since had this area repainted. I confirmed this with the units aircraft maintenance officer.

When I worked Twin Otters we had nine aircraft. The current fleet has 802, ,803, 804, & 805.

The Queen and Prince Phillip flew on 804.

Thanks for the clarification! One more question: are the larger "tundra" wheels seen on some aircraft always installed? Am I limited in my serial number choices if I want to depict an aircraft with the standard tires?

THe tundra tires are an option. Just like the floats and skis. THey are interchangeable.

Thanks - I understand these are an an interchangeable equipment, but I had seen too many recent photos of some particular aircraft in the fleet with tundra tires; which led me to believe that perhaps those aircraft practically always were outfitted with them. I have since found other recent shots that clearly show that this is not the case.

I just finished the design of the Canadian section of the sheet, and I think it was a good idea to add it. I will post drafts as soon as I finish the Argentinian markings sometime next week.

Thanks for the clarification! One more question: are the larger "tundra" wheels seen on some aircraft always installed? Am I limited in my serial number choices if I want to depict an aircraft with the standard tires?

As mentioned the tundra tires are only installed based on the mission or terrain they are flying in. They actually aren't on all that often.

Every aircraft can be fitted with tundra tires, skis, or floats.

Thanks - I understand these are an an interchangeable equipment, but I had seen too many recent photos of some particular aircraft in the fleet with tundra tires; which led me to believe that perhaps those aircraft practically always were outfitted with them. I have since found other recent shots that clearly show that this is not the case.

I just finished the design of the Canadian section of the sheet, and I think it was a good idea to add it. I will post drafts as soon as I finish the Argentinian markings sometime next week.

Thanks much for including these decals!

When the Queen flew on 804 it was on floats in Vancouver Harbour.

• 6 months later...

I am about to finish the design work on this sheet; and will post profiles shortly. It is going to be part of the July batch.

The Dornier Do-228 sheet sold surprisingly well (it is in the top 5 selling items list at Hannants now), so you will definitely see more civilian/military prop aircraft decals from me in the future. I think I will do a Defender/Islander sheet after the Twin Otter and Piaggio P.180 sheets.

I am about to finish the design work on this sheet; and will post profiles shortly. It is going to be part of the July batch.

The Dornier Do-228 sheet sold surprisingly well (it is in the top 5 selling items list at Hannants now), so you will definitely see more civilian/military prop aircraft decals from me in the future. I think I will do a Defender/Islander sheet after the Twin Otter and Piaggio P.180 sheets.

I look forward to this Kursad!

• 2 years later...

Dutch....Don't want to take a sale away from Kursad but Iliad Decals sheet #72015 has that scheme (Cdn Coast Guard) on it so doubt Kursad would duplicate it.......

RCAFFAN, you just mentioned another decal manufacturer's name on the Caracal blog!!!!! Another baby seal just died!!!!!  LOL!

Yes, I know about them, but I  was waiting to see what Kursad created before investing my nickels and dimes. I think there was also a dry-transfer set that did not include the large "SURVEILLANCE" lettering. Pretty rare, though. So, i am betting my money on Kursad for his quality and correctness. R/ Dutch

Edited by Dutch

Dutch, as I mentioned I am almost done with the design of this sheet and had the kit since the beginning. I just needed some details of the paint scheme for one of the options I wanted to offer on the sheet. Once I am done with sending off the January designs in a few days, I will revisit this project and see what remains to be done. 

I like the older version of the Canadian Coast Guard scheme better myself. The newer one is already offered by another (friendly and non-baby seal killing) company as folks have pointed out.

• 6 months later...

Kursad, I'm not sure how far along on this sheet you might be but thought I'd send these along as an option. VXS-1 (The Naval Research Lab's air component) up here at NAS Patuxent River just took custody of this yesterday, the Navy's only  UV-18A Twin Otter.

60051206-2115388441847677-13993957405554

60334726-2115388478514340-12353600517790

59862904-2115388521847669-99727221621732

59999158-2115388548514333-35223805472066

On ‎5‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 7:00 AM, 82Whitey51 said:

Kursad, I'm not sure how far along on this sheet you might be but thought I'd send these along as an option. VXS-1 (The Naval Research Lab's air component) up here at NAS Patuxent River just took custody of this yesterday, the Navy's only  UV-18A Twin Otter.

Nah, there's also the CIRPAS UV-18 flying out of Salinas, CA. So that makes two Navy Twotters.

The design of the sheet was finished, but US Naval Research Lab is important to me (while I never worked directly for the lab, they partially funded my graduate studies ). I will include this in the sheet - but will probably need more photos at some point.

4 minutes ago, KursadA said:

The design of the sheet was finished, but US Naval Research Lab is important to me (while I never worked directly for the lab, they partially funded my graduate studies ). I will include this in the sheet - but will probably need more photos at some point.

I can probably arranged to go take photos of the aircraft. I'll let you know.

1 hour ago, pollie said:

Nah, there's also the CIRPAS UV-18 flying out of Salinas, CA. So that makes two Navy Twotters.

Meehhh...I know it's kid of a "splitting hairs" type thing, but that particular UV-18, while owned by the Dept of the Navy is not operated by a Navy squadron or crewed by Navy pilots, it also carries an FAA registration (N83NX).

Edited by 82Whitey51
3 minutes ago, 82Whitey51 said:

Meehhh...I know it's kid of a "splitting hairs type thing, but that particular UV-18, while owned by the Dept of the Navy is not operated by a Navy squadron or crewed by Navy pilots, it also carries an FAA registration (N83NX).

I believe you. Doesn't seem to carry N83NX anymore on the exterior but 762256 though. I'll be at Pax next month and will keep my eyes peeled for the 'new' Twotter!

3 minutes ago, pollie said:

I believe you. Doesn't seem to carry N83NX anymore on the exterior but 762256 though. I'll be at Pax next month and will keep my eyes peeled for the 'new' Twotter!

Yeah, who knows, the "Navy's only  UV-18A Twin Otter"  in my post comes from the VXS-1 FB page post. Likely the squadron PAO didn't know of the existence of the CIRPAS bird.