FS 13432 lacquer or enamel to airbrush

2 members have voted

1. 1. Which is Chrome Yellow?

• Mr Color Orange Yellow, #58
    • Model Master Gelb RLM 04, 2072
    • Model Master Light Rust, 2177
    • Other described below

I'm looking for FS13432 for my USAAC Goose. Info I've found points to an orange or red yellow. One source claimed claimed Model Master Light Rust was an approximation. I also tried GELB RLM 04 and Mr. Color Orange Yellow.

Which would you use?

I always use Model Master enamel Deep Yellow #2118. I think it's in the Japanese section, but it works just as well for British leading edge stripes and American yellow wings.

Well,

The correct Yellow for the Goose, if it complies with USAAC standards, would be ANA 614 which would be FS 33538, not 13432. It should be Yellow with a bit of Orange, not Orange with a hint of Yellow. That would be Gunze #329. I have that and it matches the relevant FS card perfectly.

I don't use Testors, so I will not comment other than to say the Testors reference book sez 13538 would be Testors #1707. Their little dinky chip looks pretty close to me.

Norm Filer

Well,

The correct Yellow for the Goose, if it complies with USAAC standards, would be ANA 614 which would be FS 33538, not 13432. It should be Yellow with a bit of Orange, not Orange with a hint of Yellow. That would be Gunze #329. I have that and it matches the relevant FS card perfectly.

Thanks for the correction! The LHS has 329, and I'm going to get it, as I prefer Mr. Color, but still use MM when I need to.

And, well, that's what I get for believing those knuckleheads. :P

Really should have questioned this a little more, as I already figured out they messed up the interior colors.

• 4 years later...

Re: USAAC Orange Yellow #4,   FS 13432 was an enamel produced by Floquil-Polly S.  The item number was 303277.  I have two sealed bottles purchased at the Military Shop in Long Beach, California.  I opened one and made a test card. The card was a 2" by 3" plastic sheet. I primed the card with white decanted Tamyia Fine Surface Primer for plastic. After drying, 24 hours, I sanded the card with 1000 grit sand paper wiped with a tack cloth then sprayed the 13432 over the card with three light coats.  After drying for 24 hours, I matched the card with 13432 painted strip on page 5 of the Federal Standard color Fan deck (7690-01-162-2210) 1989 edition.  The results were a near perfect match. The difference was not in color but shine do to the production of the fan card.

Thanks for responding. I finished that model a while ago--I went with Mr Color Yellow FS13538 C329.

goose-final0.jpg

Ah, the reference to The Military Shop in LB definitely brought back memories. Gary had a wonderful shop...