Which 1/48 Kfir C2/C7 is the better one - AMK or Kinetic?

Looking to try my hand at a KFIR in the coming days but I'd like to know which manufacturer is the better choice in terms of the usual modeling things we look for (detail, accuracy, fit, etc). I've read a couple of reviews for both kits but they didn't really persuade me to actually make a decision on either.

So, I'd like to ask the experts here for help.

Thanks for the feedback.

Rob

I had both and compared them. Kinetic's sources seems to have had access to a real Kfir so shape accuracy goes to them. I found the production quality (engineering (fit and surface details)) nicer on the AMK kit.

See for yourself (from a post here a few years ago):

http://www.arcforums...dpost&p=2524547

Regards,

Edited by sharkmouth

:popcorn:/>/>

:whistle:/>/>

For the record, I'm looking at this specifically from an accuracy, details, fit, etc. point of view. I'm not looking to 'stir the pot' sort of speak. From what I've seen, both kits seem to be really nice overall. I'm just looking for the better of the two (as I think anyone would).

Rob

Edited by galileo1

AMK is a better kit: details are more precise and there are more of them (MLG bays for example).

Kinetic is a better model: intake trunking (it's white so it's visible... AMK doesn't look too good), area ruled fuselage. I think the canopy was found to have a better profile also.

CAN OPEN.....worms .....EVERYWHERE!!!!!

Why is this thread opening a can of worms?? Is that because, perhaps, you're looking for something to argue about? So, I can't ask a question that renders a simple answer because...? Both AMK and Kinetic are represented on these forums. Are you implying me picking one over the other will "hurt" their fragile sensibilities?

Man, this is getting tiresome!

Edited by galileo1

Berkut and Galileo1, if no one responds to such a post, it gets buried and forgotten under constructive replies.

Galilieo1, it seems that Laurent and I have had both kits to compare and came to the same conclusion. The choice is yours to make as neither kit will score high in all areas you asked about. The AMK kits are a pleasure to build but, in this case, the Kinetic one has more accuracy in regards to shape, canopy, panel lines. I can tell you that the Kinetic Model Kits (KMK) version had flash (seen in the photos) and one had to pay attention to the fit. Cutting the parts off the sprues required care as the plastic on my kit was much softer than what AMK used. Putty, or CA in my case, will be required during the KMK build more so than the AMK.

The decals in the AMK kit are nice but those in KMK's were researched by IsraDecal and printed by Cartograf:

AMK

AMK8801KfirzDetailzDecals.JPG

KMK

KM48046KfirC2C7SpruexDecals.JPG

Regards,

As a modeller myself I think the question is perfectly valid and of course I cannot and will not comment further on the specific question.

I just couldn't find the emoticon with the mouth sealed with tape.

Just trying to make light of it all, nothing else.

Rob, I hope you enjoy whichever you choose. :thumbs:/>

edit: No fragile sensibilities here I am glad to say. Model making is to be enjoyed so enjoy :)

Edited by Martin @ AMK Models

Thank you very much, Saul! And you're correct, ultimately, the choice is mine to make. All the info provided by those who responded with CONSTRUCTIVE feedback is not only very much appreciated but has now allowed me to pick the kit I think fits my needs.

Thanks again.

Rob

All the info provided by those who responded with CONSTRUCTIVE feedback is not only very much appreciated but has now allowed me to pick the kit I think fits my needs.

Oh, I hope you won't tell us but, perhaps, will show us (with a build) which you selected. Of course, you don't have to! As Martin said, enjoy the one you choose.

Regards,

I just started the AMK kit. The molding is very crisp. The only complaint is the C7 instrument panel is not a crisp as it could be, looks a little soft. I may pick up the Eduard zoom set, I'm not sure yet.

I'm trying something new with this model. I've started by building the ordnance and drop tanks, treating them as mini kits, rather than slapping them on at the end. So far the fit is perfect, minimal seam clean up.

This is pretty much what I also do now, jbryan. For some reason, I used to get so bogged down doing the cockpit that by the time I was done with it I'd lose all enthusiasm for the rest of the kit. Now, I tend to start at the back of the instruction (weapons, wheels, landing gears, etc) before I move to the forward fuselage. The builds seem to go faster when I do this.

Rob