Hi guys,

Another conversion set work in progress of the Cheetah E for the Kinetic Kfir C2/C7. The older conversion set was based on the ESCI/Italeri Mirage IIIE, which leaves one with much to be desired and hard work, and that's why the new Kinetic kit was selected. It has a lot more in common with the Cheetah E and makes for an easy to assemble conversion. Here's some pics of the prototype resin parts.

12002078_390057394526941_7532521195151709731_n_zpskwzrof9z.jpg

12112075_398937210305626_3255883296940005033_n_zps9s3cdcro.jpg

10423867_398937260305621_7208313230395418412_n_zpskow97ch2.jpg

12118978_398937226972291_4072379022146565633_n_zpssmemtygj.jpg

12105774_398937286972285_6797550226731536866_n_zpspvl3hu5v.jpg

12122962_398937313638949_2230536628811231958_n_zps2tzhkyoj.jpg

Cheers, John

Scaleworx produce Cheetah D and Cheetah B conversion sets for the two seaters, but they are based on the Heller Mirage B/C, which is now a bit outdated and has also become quite difficult to find. I am also interested in a conversion that will allow you to build a two seater but based on a more modern kit (Kinetic/Eduard/Hobbyboss Mirage IIIs or Kfirs). The Cheetah D is quite special for me as I have had the privilege of flying in the back as test engineer on a few occasions...

Thanks for the feedback everyone,

The kit will have a decal sheet for a SAAF 5 Squadron Cheetah E.

I'm hoping to have it in production by the end of November.

Regarding the two seat Cheetah B and D, it's most certainly a future project on the Kinetic Kfir, but until then, the current conversion sets for old Heller will have to do. Mfezi, you lucky man to have flown in the D!!! As for the Cheetah C and R, they will be done as well and most likely before the two seat variants. The Cheetah B and C will still have optional decals for the Ecuadorian Air Force.

Cheers, John

Thanks for the feedback everyone,

The kit will have a decal sheet for a SAAF 5 Squadron Cheetah E.

I'm hoping to have it in production by the end of November.

Regarding the two seat Cheetah B and D, it's most certainly a future project on the Kinetic Kfir, but until then, the current conversion sets for old Heller will have to do. Mfezi, you lucky man to have flown in the D!!! As for the Cheetah C and R, they will be done as well and most likely before the two seat variants. The Cheetah B and C will still have optional decals for the Ecuadorian Air Force.

Cheers, John

Awesome, thanks. Will it be for the Kinetic or Hobby Boss/Eduard kits?

I'm really looking forward to these "new generation" releases from ScaleWorx. I have never built a Cheetah (due to the work that I foresaw in starting with the Heller kits), but with these new releases based on modern Mirage/Kfir kits, I am certain to give it a go.

Mfezi, you lucky man to have flown in the D!!!

Although one is quite busy in the back during test flying, it doesn't make it any less spectacular. Thundering down the coast past Cape Infanta below 200 ft at 600 knots and those spectacular cliffs towering above you is exactly as awesome as it sounds:) This was after the D's were upgraded with the Atar 09K50's and since 845 had its refuelling probe removed at the time, it was a bit of rocket!

cr7driver, glad you like it. Orders are processed by ScaleWorx in South Africa and international shipping is available. Orders can be placed at scaleworx@yahoo.com ;)

Marcel111, that sounds like a very impressive kit to tackle one day...

Cheers, John

• 2 weeks later...

So, the Cheetah E conversion had a small problem with the nose plug, which delayed production, but has now been corrected.

I have also added a resin replacement ejection seat cushion with belts on it. The set is now in production :D

20151119_233322_zps4zqxueuw.jpg

20151119_233607_zpsg9ajgo8y.jpg

20151121_152923_zpsklfgjvru.jpg

20151119_234537_zpsuocfl2di.jpg

20151124_153719_zpse5ve4tth.jpg

E-48%20Kinetic_zpslaxsu4x2.png

Cheers, John

• 2 weeks later...
As for the Cheetah C and R, they will be done as well and most likely before the two seat variants. The Cheetah B and C will still have optional decals for the Ecuadorian Air Force.

John

Are you still going with the Kfir as the base kit for the C & R or are you going to change over to the Kinetic Mirage IIIE kit? I know with the Kfir you get the dog tooth on the wings but with the IIIE you don't have to replace the exhaust section and mess with the vertical fin. Or are there other advantages that make the Kfir the best option?

Thanks

Jim Barr

Jim,

I understand your point, but the Kfir C2/C7 has more in common with the Cheetah E. It is most certainly an easier conversion. I have looked at the Kinetic Mirage IIIE, and exhaust is nothing worth writing home about either. Much less work to use the Kfir ;)

Cheers, John

John

Thanks for the reply and I can see where the Kfir would be the kit of choice for the "E" with it's Kfir nose and that is why I was asking about the "C" (whole new nose and fuselage plug) & the "R" (another completely different nose).

Also when I mentioned the exhaust I was referring more to the rear fuselage insert section as opposed to the actual exhaust nozzle. I took it the insert serves two purposes; one, to correct the bigger size on the Kfir to accommodate the GE J79 engine and two, to replace the J79 exhaust with an Atar one. So the Mir IIIE kit would do away with the need for that insert or did the Cheetahs retain the larger rear fuselage of the Kfirs?

Regards

Jim

Jim,

it is a standard Mirage IIIE tail, so I had to modify that for the Kfir, but the Mirage IIIE would still have needed a replacement exhaust nozzle. Fortunately, it is very easy to replace it. The Kfir kit eliminates the need to cast a new nose, ejection seat, instrument panel, cockpit bulkhead and the dogtooth leading edges. Replacing a Mirage III leading edge with a dogtooth is a mission, and tricky to glue a long and thin part with CA and not make a mistake. Also take into consideration that the conversion set has worked out less costly using the Kfir as a host kit.

Cheers, John

John

Thanks for the detailed explanation.

I am really looking forward to the Cheetah D release but since you mentioned you will be bring out the "C" before that (still have your first "C" conversion designed for the Heller kit) and I was think about going for one of those also so I wanted to know what was going to be the base kit so I could be on the look out for a good buy on the base kit.

Best Regards

Jim