Hi.

Finally I post some pictures of my build. It's just a quick OOB build. But some times I'm a slow builder, as now. :P/>/>

The boxart and parts.

22208511274_b9da935487_b.jpg

The grey part is the floor of the cockpit I made and the white things are the seats that I also made. I was also going to make the pilots.

22412885087_c82b58f3ee_o.jpg

The main components are ready. I desided not to make the cockpit and crew. It would take to much time and it will hardly be visable when the model is compleated. I just painted the inside of the model black. :rolleyes:/>/>/>

22831246725_f3f4f380be_o.jpg

Best regards

Grétar W. G.

Hi and thanks.

The reason I had this kit in my stash is that I was going to build a model of a plane that crashed on a mountain on Reykjanes peninsula on south west Iceland in WWII. I later found out that it was a PBM-1 that crashed so I couldn't use this model. It was the deadlyest aircrash in Iceland at that time, 11 died. See here Two other planes crashed around that same mountain in WWII. One sunderland and a B-24. Lieutenant General Frank Maxwell Andrews died in that crash.

I´ve hiked to all of those crash sites. The first site is the Mariner,(that's me by the engine) the second one is the Sunderland and the last one is the B-24

Best regards

Grétar W. G. :wave:

Edited by GretarBill
  • 2 weeks later...

Oh, very nice!

I see you've assembled the floats. That and wings struts are something I've thought about doing in the past, but I then worry about how to get an even paint covering with the airbrush. How do you accomplish that?

Oh, very nice!

I see you've assembled the floats. That and wings struts are something I've thought about doing in the past, but I then worry about how to get an even paint covering with the airbrush. How do you accomplish that?

I have also thought about that. I was thinking about putting the floats on after painting, but a part of the wings are a part of the strut for the floats so that was not an option. I even thought of cutting the part of the wing of the struts and glue the floats (with wire location pins) on afterwards. But I'll probably have to mask around the struts for the floats. I also saw a picture on the web that showed the struts painted white below the wings. As they could't be bothered to mask them of when painting. :doh:

Best regards

Grétar W. G.

PS. I but the primer on yesterday.

• 2 months later...

I'we been buisy latly redoing my bathroom, new things in the bedroom and other things have been holding up my modeling. But I have also been a little modeling lazy. But not so much. :rolleyes:

I painted (airbrushed) the bottom of the model nearly two weeks ago and was going to paint the top surface last weekend, but didn't get a rount to it. I have started to mask of the lower half and hopefully I'll be able to paint it this week. I need to compleate it before the deadline! :P

Best regards

• 2 weeks later...

Hi.

I'll probably compleat this model before the deadline. Just so. I've painted it. Not my best job at that. I had to do some repairs. Also the paint went on rather rough. I don't know why. The paint (enamel) wasn't to thick. I'm putting the decals on this evening so I, hopefully, will be able to weather it tomorrow and put the clear coat on. Then it it will, if all goes as scheduled, be ready on Monday.

A picture I took after the primer vent on in November.

24945814129_86a3c0c421_o.jpg

The mask is on. I used parafilm for the first time on a whole model, Tamiya tape, pinstripe tape and some adhesive tack.

24945816109_45cedc7cd9_o.jpg

Paintings done. The mask is still on.

25195238642_cc4ac7c759_o.jpg

Some more painting done. I hand painted the deiceing boots and dry brushed the engines. The mask is still on the canopy. I´ll remove it after I put the clear coat on.

24686741523_e710941636_o.jpg

Well now we just have to see if I compleat it or not :whistle:

Edited by GretarBill

She's looking great!

Looks like painting the wing floats in place worked out. I'll need to try that, as it's always a bit of a PITA to put things that large on and get a robust joint.

She's looking great!

Looks like painting the wing floats in place worked out. I'll need to try that, as it's always a bit of a PITA to put things that large on and get a robust joint.

It wasn't so complecated to tape around the floats. Easy peasy. :coolio:

Well she's done.

I think it came out ok. But it looks better on the pictures than in real life. :rolleyes:

I forgot to mention in the other post that I used Humbrol no 15, Gloss Midnight Blue and the clear coat is a Winsor & Newton acrylic satin varnish for art paintings. It was however to thin so it didn't come out well in the first coat. But it was a little better with the second coat. A also didn't use the kits small „glass“ for the fusalage. Instead I used Micro glaze from Micro Mark.

Here are some pic's.

25292628991_49ecc5c5f9_o.jpg

25018059279_993d28d240_o.jpg

25267391782_a581615651_b.jpg

25090040310_5ab0e7a312_b.jpg

24758946783_e99f4a17f5_b.jpg

Another thing I found on the net about this aircraft. It is the one that got lost when searching for flight 19 out of Florida in December 1945. See page 42 and here

Are we only going to be two to compleat this GB? :o

Best regards

Top work . Well done . What next?

Thank you.

Next will probaly be the old 1/72 Airfix Spitfire Mk 1 I have in my stach, with some aftermarket stuff from CMK. Cockpit, engine, armament and control surfaces + a vac. canopy. I'm going to participate in the Spitfire: 80th Anniversary GB. But will not have time to start till next week.