1/48 Kinetic Model Su-33

It's already on Pre-Order at LuckyModel ! 70.gif

55USD

GREAT

Thanks for the head up70.gif ...preorder two kits!!banana.gif

I presume their weight estimate of 1.1 kg is somewhat off?

the Academy Su-27 with it's box weight somewhere 0,8 Kg. so, it's not impossible...

the Academy Su-27 with it's box weight somewhere 0,8 Kg. so, it's not impossible...

Thanks for the info (although I'd expect the Academy kit to be noticeably behind in the number of sprues). The AMK MiG-31BM is at 2.05 kg at LM, hence why I thought the Su-33 should be more than 1.1.

Unfortunately, that tips the combined weight over 3 kg which increases the shipping cost. No BM then, I have to find something else to combine it with. I hope the AMK MiG-31B/BS boxing will be a tad lighter :)

Edited by ijozic

I just decided I would go ahead and pre-order this Su-33 and the AMK MiG-31 on Lucky, but those two models together shipping to the U.S. is $55 alone at checkout. Does that seem right?

Presumably the size/weight of the two kits bumps it up into a more expensive shipping method. Looks like your best bet is to order each kit individually.

Pre-order both kits: $110 + $55 shipping - $16.50 discount (N2015B) = $148.

Order individually: ($55 + $55) + ($20 + $17 shipping) - ($5.50 + $5.50 N2015A discount) = $136.

If you wan a *real* head-scratcher... With those two kits in your cart, you get a bonus redemption offer to buy the Kinetic MQ-9 for $18.99, a mere $3 more than the regular retail price of $15.99. How can anyone say no to a bargain like that?!? :rolleyes:

There is some weird stuff going on at LM with shipping.

Have seen the same where multiple orders are cheaper than one single order.

Can understand that with big kits but having posted stuff from Hong Kong myself no idea why relatively small kits like Mirages cause the postage price to climb so much.

Strange..

There is some weird stuff going on at LM with shipping.

Have seen the same where multiple orders are cheaper than one single order.

Can understand that with big kits but having posted stuff from Hong Kong myself no idea why relatively small kits like Mirages cause the postage price to climb so much.

Strange..

Yeah I noticed it too! Hope its just a bug with the software! The 1/48 Airfix Merlin costs around US$25 just to ship it to Singapore! Almost half the kit price and even smaller items now clock in at higher postage. All for normal air parcel. Speedpost by comparison is just a few $ more! Are they trying to influence ppl to use speedpost?

I hope they produce this kit in a darker plastic. I just think it looks better in a darker plastic. Either way, I'm happy to see this kit finally being released. I'm also sad that Aviation Art never got off the ground. Can't have too many model companies, right. I really would have loved to have known what had happened.

Edited by B.Sin

I hope they produce this kit in a darker plastic. I just think it looks better in a darker plastic. Either way, I'm happy to see this kit finally being released. I'm also sad that Aviation Art never got off the ground. Can't have too many model companies, right. I really would have loved to have known what had happened.

totally agree, but it's the usual kinetic light gray plastic i've seen in their latest releases, that was what i was expecting...

what i wasn't expecting was those awesome single part tails (without the rudder)

Edited by mingwin

This is great news !

I am looking forward to that. Now, can I hope for a Su-27 ?

I guess most None of parts are already there. At least I hope so...

Fixed that for you. Few parts like pylons and weapons can be shared but beyond that one has to make completely new CAD's and completely new tooling.

This is great news !

I am looking forward to that. Now, can I hope for a Su-27 ?

I guess most of parts are already there. At least I hope so...

Says the guy so obsessed with a certain company's F-15 to make an extensive list of 'inaccuracies' that makes the kit 'unbuildable'

Let's follow your example and create a list of things that would be end up inaccurate, if you think that most parts are already there and end up used for a Su-27 rolleyes.gif/>

Su-33 to a vanilla Su-27

-Su-33 has bigger and foldable wings, inaccurate for a Su-27

-Su-33 has canards and the extended shoulders on the lerx, innacurate for a Su-27

-Su-33 has cropped top vertical tail, inaccurate for a Su-27

-Su-33 has foldable horizontal tail, inaccurate for a Su-27

-Su-33 has different stinger, and different cross section starting halfway between aft of the speedbrake and vert tail. So all that portion would need to be changed. innacurate for a Su-27

-Su-33 has different front fuselage than vanilla Su-27. Vanilla Su-27 doesn't have IFR probe, offset IR sensor needs to be moved to the center of windshield and mounting lump removed. And light usually represented on the side by panel lines would need to be removed

Already here you can see that pretty much the whole fusalage needs to be newly tooled.

-Su-33 has twin wheel NLG and slightly diffferent nose wheel well. Also beefier MLG. The bulges under the intake trunks from the MLG locking mechanisms are different too.

-Su-33 has different wheel hubs with some notches compared to vanilla Su-27.

-Su-33 some of its stub pylons are different than those used on the vanilla Su-27.

-Su-33 Intake side vents are perforated / grid pattern whereas Vanilla Su-27 have slit pattern. If it's molded on the plastic it would need the whole part replaced, if it's on PE then it's easier but not as accurate since they wouldn't sit flush.

-Su-33 doesn't have blade antennas on the side of the intakes, whereas vanilla Su-27 has them.

And there are a miriad of other little differences.

Pretty much you'd only be left with the cockpit (with it's slightly minor differences, but let's leave them aside), the exhaust, the pylon/rails and some of the weapons as common parts. So pretty much almost everything else needs to be newly tooled.

Should I say more?

Edited by Inquisitor

Thank you very much for your very interesting posts.

I have to say that the news regarding the release of this kit made me very happy. The sprues look fabulous on Facebook. Zactoman was involved in the process and this means that we will have no reason to complain about accuracy.

Nevertheless, an accurate Su-27 seems still far, well over the horizon.

Given all these differences, and given my ignorance on modern tooling, my question was about how easily the software may be modified to release a Su-27.

HobbyBoss has a 1/48 J-11B coming, that'll get you closer to a vanilla Su-27 than anything...

Hobby Boss is planning to release an entire family of Su-27 "et similia".

The problem is that accuracy wise the Hobby Boss record is quite bad.

By what I already saw from the pictures posted in this forum, the new 1/48 Su-27 kit from this manufacturer is sharing the same mistakes of the 1/72 and 1/32 Trumpeter Fkankers. Too bad.

HobbyBoss has a 1/48 J-11B coming, that'll get you closer to a vanilla Su-27 than anything...

Hobby Boss is planning to release an entire family of Su-27 "et similia".

The problem is that accuracy wise the Hobby Boss record is quite bad.

By what I already saw from the pictures posted in this forum, the new 1/48 Su-27 kit from this manufacturer is sharing the same mistakes of the 1/72 and 1/32 Trumpeter Fkankers. Too bad.