Canopy sunscreens on Hornets

Does anybody have any photos of those silver reflective covers that are placed on the inside of the canopy, or even better, know what would be a good way to re-create them? Was thinking about someday doing that as a project (Hornet in a hangar, undergoing maintenance, canopy closed and covered), and was just either looking for reference photos or some pointers on how to do it. Or maybe it would be easier to make the other type of canopy cover...the one that attaches to the outside? Thanks in advance.

Edited by TomcatFanatic123

:D/>, Have you thought about using aluminium foil for this purpose? If there's a pattern on it that can be burnished off and the foild becomes flat. Just cut to shape and size and hey presto. One sunshade to scale.

:cheers:/>,

Ross.

That was my first thought, but I was thinking that the foil would be too thin and it just wouldn't look right. Maybe some Bare Metal Foil that's a little thicker than the regular kitchen stuff?

That was my first thought, but I was thinking that the foil would be too thin and it just wouldn't look right. Maybe some Bare Metal Foil that's a little thicker than the regular kitchen stuff?

When removed from its backing paper, the BMF I have is way thinner than the aluminium foil for kitchen use. It's almost like gold leaf! :woot.gif:

Made a bit of a discovery today: I bought a bar of Lindt Swiss Chocolate...it comes in a box, with an inner wrap of thin silver foil, like all choc bars used to have before the switch to plasticky sachets. This stuff looks an awful lot like the Hornet sun-shield in this photo...

And I know somebody who eats that Lindt Chocolate quite often. Woo-hoo! Awesome...thanks!

And I know somebody who eats that Lindt Chocolate quite often. Woo-hoo! Awesome...thanks!

Syndi shouldn't eat that much chocolate...diabeetus can really take a toll on someone her age combined with her high blood pressure, heart disease, and obesity.

All these are, are like the silver foil sunscreens you would put in your car. And there can be multiple pieces depending on if the A/C is a 1 seat or 2 seat.

Also, typically, in the hangar they would be removed because they are fairly flimsy, and there are occasions to go into the cockpit, so rather than to have them fall about, they typically leave them out. (they have to be completely removed when you are moving the A/C so the brake rider has unrestricted visibility, so typically, once in the barn, they don't put them back)

There is another type of cloth backed canvas that they can lay over the exterior of the canopy to keep off the dust and bird poop, if its going to be in the barn for awhile.

DSC03809_zpsk6rgqspu.jpg

DSC03810_zpseenoy2bp.jpg

DSC03828_zpswy029p6a.jpg

Made a bit of a discovery today: I bought a bar of Lindt Swiss Chocolate...it comes in a box, with an inner wrap of thin silver foil, like all choc bars used to have before the switch to plasticky sachets. This stuff looks an awful lot like the Hornet sun-shield in this photo...

If the look you're after is the stuff used in this picture - that is just what we call "barrier paper" and it is used for long term storage/preservation. This stuff is taped to the exterior of the canopy and any other openings on the airframe that don't have specific red gear (intakes, engine exhaust, etc).

Some "heavy duty" aluminum foil (usually sold next to BBQ/Grilling supplies at most stores) will easily reproduce this look in scale. You could even finish off the look by placing thin strips of black electrical tape around the edges.

Jake

Edited by jacobp51

These pics help me out tremendously! What actually gave me the idea was looking through my Modern Super Hornet guide and some of the photos showed those silver sunscreens. When I saw them, I just though that would make for an interesting diorama. I guess for the hangar scene, my better bet would be the covers for the outside of the canopy that Spook is referring to (I've seen photos of those, so I know exactly what they are). Or I could go ahead with the foil sunscreen, and have the aircraft sitting outside on the ramp on a hot summer day with some weapons on it ready to go. Hmmm...this really opens up my options. Thanks again guys, great help. And Devo, that looks fantastic.

And Jake, thanks for pointing that out...I am going for a maintenance thing if I do the hangar diorama, not something going in long-term storage or to be preserved.

Edited by TomcatFanatic123