1/48 B-1B conversion to B-1A #4

This is a project I started a few years ago where I am converting the 1/48th scale Revell B-1B to B-1A #4. This is a project that was put on hold for a very tumultuous 2.5 years as I dealt with a move, cancer, new job and getting back to normal life. This thread replaces the thread that for some reason has gone missing.

Specifically I am building this plane:

Capture_1.jpg

Capture_2.jpg

The project is a “background” project for me because it’s big, time consuming, and I have plenty of other kits that I plan to build in this lifetime….so I work on it only when I feel like it. I am not a super detailer. Because if I was it would take me many years to do this and I would never be able to build any other kits. I marvel at what other s can do on the super detailing front, it’s amazing what one can do. I wish I could. So instead I do what I can without making it stressful and keeping it fun and satisfying.

I will update the previous progress with pics shortly….I am still trying to locate all my pics and need to take new ones as I have made more progress then the latest pics I have. I have finally found my old photobucket acct. from years ago and it looks like all the pics are still there….thank you photobucket.

Stay tuned….

- Matt

Edited by JeskiM

The primary reference that I am using for this project is:

Capture_3.jpg

It talks in depth about all the differences between the various –1A airframes and has many pics of those differences. Of course the rest of my references are any and all pics that I can scour off of the net.

I actually have two boxings of this kit:

Pictures002.jpg

One of them will provide the proper decals and spare parts (just in case). I prefer working with newer boxing because of the color of the plastic. All white parts makes it hard on my eyes.

If you are familiar with the assembly steps of the Revell kit you know that it starts with the forward section including the cockpit, access ladder, nose gear bay and radome.

The first thing I did was to provide more details to the access ladder. This picture shows the real thing:

Entry_2.jpg

Entry_1.jpg

Here is a pic of my rendition of it. The one on the left is mine and the one on the right is the one out-of-the-box:

Pictures049.jpg

Pictures050.jpg

Pictures052.jpg

Pictures053.jpg

I am pretty happy with it.

The next post of this thread will discuss the cockpit.

- Matt

Edited by JeskiM

From what I remember the kit provided cockpit is a great rendition of the -1A. I do recall adding a few minor pieces like a throttle control, the little fold down tables for the back seats and some controls on the side walls. In the construction and detailing I didn’t use any aftermarket materials. It’s just some detail level painting and weathering.

Here is the result of the front cockpit:

- Matt

DSC01317.jpg

DSC01324.jpg

DSC01327.jpg

DSC01329.jpg

DSC01330.jpg

DSC01332.jpg

One thing I decided to do was to model the kit so that I can open the hatches to see into the cockpit. So I had to construct some “holes” and hinges to allow the hatches to be displayed either open or closed.

To do that I placed some narrow plastic strips where the hinges of the hatches would go. That way you simply place the hanges (pegs) into the holes if you want to display the hatches in the open postion. At the same time I place thin strips around the perimeter of the hatches frames so that you can simply lay the hatches down in the hole if you want to display the cockpit closed.

Here are the pics from that process.

DSC01457.jpg

DSC01448.jpg

DSC01455.jpg

In later pictures (yet to be taken and uploaded) you will see how it all turned out to better effect.

The last picture above shows some mods that were getting made to the exterior. I filled in the rear cockpit side windows as they don’t exist on the -1A. I also filled in the holes where theSMCS vane goes On the -1B they are moved slightly further up to the front of the fuselage (so on my model I had to move it back a bit)….you will see it in later pics. I also filled the small hole used to place a tiny air sensor. The -1A I am building has a different configuration of those sensors (seen in the bottom left picture below.

BTW, the text mentions that the angle of windshield pillar between the -1B and -1A is different.....I chose not to make that change...so my model will be inaccurate in that regard. Something I know had forgotten about till I types this sentence....oh well....life goes on.

- Matt

Capture_4.jpg

Edited by JeskiM

Got a link for that stuff from Barracuda ?

I've never heard of them. What scale ?

I do have the 72nd also. I plan to build it pretty much OOB. The only reason I want to build it is that want to see this bird next to it's 72nd scale soviet counterpart and have the cruise missiles hanging off of the belly.

Capture_8.jpg

- Matt

As one can see in the previous post; the nose cone on the -1B is ogival and the -1A is a double cone. I spent time trying to figure out how to do the -1A nose cone properly, because without getting that right the end result will never look like a -1A.

To help with that I got line drawings at the same scale from both the top and sides to compare. I managed to print copies of them to the proper scale so that I could go about building a new cone.

Here are the drawings I used:

Capture_5.jpg

Capture_6.jpg

Capture_7.jpg

From there I set out to create the new cone to match the (to scale) printouts. The first thing I did was use two pieces of plastic sheet to rough out the profile form top and sides.

DSC02456.jpg

Then came the tough part. How would I build the skin on this thing ? After many ideas that never worked (thanks to the complex (yet simple) cone shape and I was never great at geometry, here is what I did:

I took some thin styrene strips and feathered it:

DSC02458.jpg

DSC02466.jpg

This allowed me to wrap it around the frame and it would bend to the proper shape. It was not simple…but it worked out really well.

DSC02468.jpg

DSC02462.jpg

DSC02467.jpg

After I “wrapped” each strip I filled the inside of the hollow cone with putty. Once I was done applying all of the strips I then puttied the entire outside and sanded down smooth. At this point the new cone was fastened to the closed up front fuselage. I know it's crude. The final result I think looks nice

Stay tuned.......

I need to take more pics and get them uploaded so that I can provide further updates (these were all the pics I could find from 2 years ago). Stay tuned; in the next day or so I will have plenty more pictures up further detailing all of the little custom mods to the exterior.

- Matt

I managed to find a few more pics buried on my hard-drive.

These show more progress on the nose cone.

Still trying to find one of the completed nose….I am pretty sure I took a pic of that..

- Matt

DSC02477.jpg

DSC02478.jpg

DSC02480.jpg

Edited by JeskiM

Just saw this thread Matt and it looks like your off to a great start. I was looking at your digram of the pointy nose and first thing comes to mind is a F-15 or Tornado nose in 1/32. I wonder if one of those can be of helpful here? I'll have to dig out my kit and take a look. In the mean time, stay strong as i'llbe taking notes :thumbsup:

Mike

Everyone,

I have managed to find my original thread from years ago on this project. From this point on-wards I will be maintaining that thread. I will merge some of the content of this thread over to that one. I have already updated the old thread with the latest pics of the mostly completed front fuselage section.

Here's the original thread for this project:

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=198416

Sorry for the double thread/confusion....I have been away from the hobby and forum for a long while and I was having memory issues for quite a while from everything that has happened in those years. I think I have finally gotten my life re-assembled....

- Matt