Aftermarket for Trumpy A-3 kits

Furball and Caracal did decals, Steel Beach does a bunch of resin sets, Hypersonic Models is releasing new engine pods in the near future, and is working on new canopies, IIRC., Oh, and Eduard does have a bunch of PE sets for them, of course.

Edited by Pete

I'm sorry to say, another example of Trumpeter getting it wrong, and the modeler having to buy resin replacement parts that are superior in accuracy to the original parts.

Most of the Steel Beach parts aren't to correct errors, but are conversions for versions that Trumpeter haven't done, or hadn't done at the time they were released. It's not perfect, but I think the A-3 is one of their better kits.

Most of the Steel Beach parts aren't to correct errors, but are conversions for versions that Trumpeter haven't done, or hadn't done at the time they were released. It's not perfect, but I think the A-3 is one of their better kits.

My bad.

You can actually make the EKA-3B from the KA-3B release. All the parts are there, they just aren't mentioned in the instruction sheet. That's what I'm going to do. Also, the EA-3B release isn't really an EA-3B, but rather an A-3B.

Tell me more........

Vince,

Like Darren said, the KA has the parts for the EKA. Big time design errors on this one but curiously, some of the errors can be helpful.

The biggest error is having the EA cabin included, intentionally as part of the KA as shown in the instructions.

So, there's a ready source of EA internal parts.

All the cockpits are identical so far, all need correction, but as long as corrections are needed then the various mods can be done.

Back to the KA, the hose is too short and the drogue way to big---not an easy fix, requiring scratch build new one or wait for aftermarket.

But the reel and it's frame aren't bad. A bit out of scale but basically accurate.

The EKA parts aren't bad either though I haven't checked for scale. They look right. Biggest problem is that the left forward fairing doesn't have a big enough gap for the IFR boom.

If you've done the first release you know the rest.

Off the top of my head one curious thing persists---having lots of extra parts but not repeating all the parts from previous releases. So, for example, you don't have guns and pointy noses in each release.

Hi,

the engine sets will hopefully be available before Christmas. Still a few small bits to sort out, instructions to draw and packaging to arrange and of course lots of casting...(it's a 30+ parts set)

Engine%20Preview1_zpsbz4d68fr.jpg

Engine%20Preview4_zpsdgqbz3yv.jpg

The first of the new canopies is earmarked for spring 2016, but as always, no promises!

Jeffrey

Overall, though, I do like the A-3 kit. I'm on my 3rd one with two more after that.

One has to admit, there is something pretty cool about an aircraft pretty close in size to a DC-9 that is able to take off from and land on a moving boat.

I'd like to see some additional EKA-3B decals released. In my opinion, those were the prettiest A-3 out there.

Hi,

the engine sets will hopefully be available before Christmas. Still a few small bits to sort out, instructions to draw and packaging to arrange and of course lots of casting...(it's a 30+ parts set)

The first of the new canopies is earmarked for spring 2016, but as always, no promises!

Jeffrey

Jeffery

That looks amazing and very impressive work. You are a true craftsman :thumbsup:

At the moment I do not have any of your sets but I was waiting on this one to make an order for this and some of your other items. I guess I should pick up my Trumpeter kit too one of these days. I think I will figure out which one I want to do then pick up the proper kit. I have the Furball sheet so I should start there.