Of those guys here who are into photography in general none aviation photography what do you prefer. an APS-C or full frame? a DSLR or something smaller? A pro size something or one of the smaller DSLRs?

Tell me something about what you use and why you like it. how you use it all and why you use this or that for this and that.

I use N-ikon DSLRs. Last year I've upgraded from D300 to full-frame D610. For aerial photography I use Sigma 50-500mm lens. Not the sharpest one, but does the job well and is a great value for money. Despite loosing "250mm" at full focal length compared to D300, I have no intentions on going back. But I shoot a lot of concert photography which makes full-frame body superior to crop sensors.

Edited by Sebastijan

I too once had the Nikon D300s but disliked the noise at higher ISO settings for that cropped sensor. Switched to full frame D3S and D700 for sports (and air shows!), social events, and studio work and the same ISO settings used are much cleaner than the D300s especially in low light venues (no flash allowed). I once had the D7000 as well but I found the camera too small for my hands. The lenses I use most are Nikon's 50mm f/1.8G, 70-200mm f/2.8G VRII, and 85mm f/1.4G. For macro work, I currently use a Tokina 100mm f/2.8 lens. All of these lenses are designed for full frame but can be used with the DX cameras too. You can use DX lenses on full frame but the lens will be "downgraded" in capability so keep that in mind when choosing APS-C or FF. If you go FF from APS-C, you'll probably have to sell your DX lenses and start all over. I only kept a couple of DX lenses.

I bought my wife a D5300 for her use and I occasionally use it when I don't want to carry the heavy gear (the FF weigh a lot!). The built in wifi is pretty neat and works well with our iPhones. Don't have to stop and download to PC or laptop for posting and sharing photos. I like it but having to go into menus to change camera settings sucks. Wife's camera usually has a 35mm f/1.8G stuck on the camera body but I also have the 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G II to use.

Edited by PlasticWeapons

I'm shooting a crop sensor, but have thought about going full frame. For air shows, in bright sun, I can keep the ISO low so noise isn't a problem, and the 1.6x crop factor does help a little bit (I'm using a Canon 7D). DSLRs have faster focus capability, and more focus flexibility, plus have a viewfinder, all of which makes it easier for me to get the shots I want. Trying to frame the shot from the back of the camera is really tough for me, although I suppose it's something I could get used to (assuming the screen can be seen in the bright sun).

If the camera was going to be used for things besides air shows where you need a lot of zoom, then a full frame is better. It works better for indoors shooting because you can get wider angle views, in addition to generally better image quality, particularly in low light. The physical size of the camera is only important to me for ergonomics, but things I look for are autofocus capabilities, and high-speed shooting for fast action. The lower end DSLRs don't normal have as much capability in those areas, but that doesn't mean you can't get some good shots from them, it's maybe just a little easier with the higher end cameras.

Hi,

The aviation shots that you see from me on here are taken on Canon low to mid level DSLR's and Canon lenses. The current combinations being Eos 7D/Eos 550D bodies and the 100-400L IS and 28-135 IS zooms plus a rarely used 300mm telephoto. Both the 7D and 100-400L lens are the older mark 1 versions and not the new mark 2 models released recently. Whilst this is not the most modern kit available I don't intend to replace anything in the short term. Both the 28-135 and 100-400 have just come back from a Canon service centre only this last week, the former after a repair following a aperture failure and the 100-400 after a general overhaul and service. Hopefully they will keep me going for several years yet as although I've seen the newer kit in action alongside my own on aviation shoots and the quality is excellent I just don't see the need to upgrade as I'm still happy with the older kit.

Both the bodies are crop bodies, which I find extremely useful for aviation, but if the plan is to use the camera for other photography then a full frame might be worth a look. A friend uses a Eos 5D MkIII for scenery and also aviation and the results are phenomenal, although it helps that he does know what he's doing with it given how advanced the camera is - not to mention the price tag.

Hope that is of some use,

Gary

I use a Canon 7D with a Tamron 200-500 mm for the majority of my aviation shots, and I absolutely love it. My only complaint with the Tamron glass is that it doesn't have IS (or VR for those Nikon folks), and I definitely can see the difference. One of these days I hope to upgrade to the Canon 100-400 mm for air shows. I also have a Canon T3i that I stick 28-135 mm glass for shots of static displays and such, and that works very well for me, too.My wide angle lens is a Tokina 11-16 mm. I live right by Vandenberg AFB, so I usually drag that out so I can get wide-angle time-lapse shots of night rocket launches.

Edited by TomcatFanatic123

I don't really do a much aviation photography. I bought a Nikon 5300 a year and a half ago mostly to photography models. I wound up doing some portraits of our kids which my wife shared with friends...all of a sudden I was being asked to do them for others...next thing you know I'm doing photography as a job. I bought a Nikon 750 when it was released. The simple answer is if you can afford it buy full frame. There are lots of reasons, but things are just sooo much better. There's nothing wrong with Nikons cropped sensors. I still use the 5300 for model pics...and they are published in magazines regularly, so they are more than adequate. I just prefer not to wear out the shutter on the 750 on those.

As for lenses...no matter the sensor, I recommend sticking or at least beginning with the "holy trinity" or 14-24, 24-70, 70-200. These are the big three. You may have no use for the lower end (14-24). I don't, and don't actually own one. The other two are almost essential for me. For aerial photography on a full frame the 70-200 might be all you need, but it may be a bit limiting on a crop sensor since its functioning as a 105-300. Of course, the Nikon versions of these are expensive, but the Tamron and Sigma versions are rather good. I would absolutely recommend avoiding lenses with variable minimum apertures. These are usually much cheaper, but they will become incredibly frustrating in low light or when you need/want a wider aperture at long focal lengths.

Get a full frame DSLR. It can be Canon, Nikon or a few others, but I found that after using a full frame camera over a cropped sensor "consumer camera", there's no turning back. I have a Nikon D7100 (cropped sensor), D610 and D810, which are full frame and all cameras were purchased in that order. What is a real step change from the D7100 to the D610 (24mp) is that I can blow up just about any pic on the D610 and the resolution is fantastic. On the D810 (36mp), it's even better. So much so that I just gave the D7100 to my daughter (my wife struggles with anything technical) because the full frame cameras are so much better, the weight saving attributes of the cropped sensor camera just aren't worth it.

For lenses, Jimmy's recommendations above are bang on, although you'll probably use the 24-70/80 range the most.

Full frame.

Canon 5D Mark III with a Canon 100-400 for flying stuff

Sony A7R with Sony 35, Sony 24-70 for static displays

For portraits... Canon 5D Mark III with 85 1.2 for portraits...if I need to go a bit longer/wider/vary it up, I use 24-70 f2.8 or 70-200 f2.8

On the Sony, I shoot portraits with the 35. Can't beat Zeiss glass.

'Nuff said.

Edited by AnthonyWan

DSLR's are great but.......I currently have a Canon 5D MkII, Canon 16-35 2.8L, 24-70 2.8L and 70-200 2.8L. If you want it to tromp around airshows and take photos be prepared for lugging a lot of weight around. Add to the lenses and camera, the batteries, possibly a tripod, little accessory stuff and a big, comfortable camera bag. The 5D doesn't have a built in flash so a separate flash as well. Things get heavy fast. To save time when you are shooting it is good to have a second body. I stupidly sold my second body. One body for a long lens and another for a medium or wider focal length. Otherwise you are constantly swapping lenses all day long. That can get tedious. Just a few notes.

Edited by jpk

DSLR's are great but.......I currently have a Canon 5D MkII, Canon 16-35 2.8L, 24-70 2.8L and 70-200 2.8L. If you want it to tromp around airshows and take photos be prepared for lugging a lot of weight around. Add to the lenses and camera, the batteries, possibly a tripod, little accessory stuff and a big, comfortable camera bag. The 5D doesn't have a built in flash so a separate flash as well. Things get heavy fast. To save time when you are shooting it is good to have a second body. I stupidly sold my second body. One body for a long lens and another for a medium or wider focal length. Otherwise you are constantly swapping lenses all day long. That can get tedious. Just a few notes.

Airshows are easy even with big 300/2.8 and 600/4 lenses. This 10442931.jpg?is=640,640wagon is cheap ($50) and compact but saves lots of time and effort.

Two comments:

1) My choice was based not so much on technical merit but more on what I could afford. I shoot APS-C because I couldn't afford a camera body with a full frame sensor.

2) A full frame sensor DSLR won't make you a better photographer or help you take better photos. I think we went through this a while back in another thread. You give the same camera to two different people and they won't take the same (quality of) photograph. Practice your skills and the gear becomes less of a factor.

Two comments:

2) A full frame sensor DSLR won't make you a better photographer or help you take better photos. I think we went through this a while back in another thread. You give the same camera to two different people and they won't take the same (quality of) photograph. Practice your skills and the gear becomes less of a factor.

Very true. There's a great vid of Zak Arias on YouTube shattering this perception that you need fancy expensive gear to be good, and make a living at Photography even. I always get a kick out of taking our kids out to things and seeing all the moms with $5000 in camera gear shooting in Program Mode and making just terrible pictures.

Like I said, I shoot my model pics with a crop 5300. 24mp is all you will ever need for most work...especially if they are being viewed digitally. DPI isn't an issue until north of 8x10.

Edited by jinmmydel
A full frame sensor DSLR won't make you a better photographer or help you take better photos. I think we went through this a while back in another thread. You give the same camera to two different people and they won't take the same (quality of) photograph. Practice your skills and the gear becomes less of a factor.

This is the best advice in whole thrend. :thumbsup:

Here's my 2 cents. First, ARC is not the best place to ask about photo gear. Would you ask a bunch of photographers who makes the best resin Tomcat cockpit in 48th scale? Second, you got to ask yourself "What are you planning on shooting?" Landscapes, portraits, airshows, sports, models.. .whatever. Each body series( if it's from Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Sigma doesn't matter) is tailored for different type of shooting. Getting a full frame DSLR just to take picture of your model and post them online is like buying a ferrari testarossa as your grocery getter. It's overkill. Do you know and understand the pros and cons of both types of sensors? Figure out what it is you want to shoot and pick the best tool for the job. Photographers make great images not the gear! Third, Do you have a photo editting program and do you know how to use it properly? If you are looking to take better photos, you need to have some understanding of exposure and how to process your photos properly. If it's photoshop, lightroom, elements... If you decide to get a DSLR, you'll need a photo editting program. Last but not least, whatever gear you choose, Canon, Nikon, Sigma, full frame or cropped... Take some time and read the manual. Learn how to use your gear properly. Play with the setting, shoot and see what happens. Understand why you got those results. Practice, pratice, pratice, learn and have fun!

Steven L :wave:

Edited by FAR148
DSLR's are great but....... be prepared for lugging a lot of weight around.

Agree. While I transport everything in a bag I prefer a vest once I start shooting. Weight can be more evenly distributed and no one can walk off with your bag.

To save time when you are shooting it is good to have a second body.

Very true. Back in the film days I carried two bodies for this reason (and hoped I didn't get to the end of the roll in both bodies at the same time). Now in the digital days I wish I had a second body to reduce the chance of getting dust on the sensor plane during lens changes. I can't afford a second DSLR body right now but it's on my list.

Can you still get those through security?

Haven't had any problem so far but of course, depends on posted rules. A bit of inconvenience when having to ride a bus from parking lot.

Edited by Helmsman

Whether or not if you decide you want a DSLR type camera with interchangeable lenses, crop or full frame, you will need to get lenses for that type camera. There are point and shoots that are very capable cameras with a high resolution imager and they allow you the flexability to shoot fully manual, TV, AV or fully auto. The main issue with them being lens range. For an airshow they are very limiting for telephoto images. What you have on the camera pretty much is it. However there are usually lens add on's available that will give a little more range but certainly not as wide as a DSLR will give you. If you are set on a DSLR a good place to buy is Ebay or Craigslist. You can pick up a generation or two away from the latest and get it for a good price. A Canon 5D classic is selling in the range of $500.00 and it's a great camera, full frame but doesn't shoot video. Pick up a few used lenses off the bay or CL and you can get a reasonably nice setup for less than a grand. I bought my gear for the most part used off Ebay.

Edited by jpk

I didnt ask because I wanted some advice on what to buy, Im already fixed on a 5DSR. I was interested in what people use outside airshows.

I would imagine a 7D II would be good for that because of the 10fps with something long like a 100-400 3.5-5.6 L IS (a cam I will be getting before Christmas as Im going to Moscow and plan to visit Kubinka again).

What do people use generally... a DSLR, an iPhone... ?

Generally I use a 550D, its always with me no matter where I go.

Edited by ElectroSoldier

Well, after more than 30 years of using DSLRs it is still hard to switch to something smaller. I do use my phone occasionally for something unsignificant, like selling stuff on eBay. DLSR (Canon 1DX and 5D Mk III) for all the rest which is mostly airshows and sports for me and wildlife for my wife. As for lenses - the classic reporter's set of 16-35, 24-70 and 70-200 plus couple of large telephoto mentioned above.

Well, after more than 30 years of using DSLRs it is still hard to switch to something smaller. I do use my phone occasionally for something unsignificant, like selling stuff on eBay. DLSR (Canon 1DX and 5D Mk III) for all the rest which is mostly airshows and sports for me and wildlife for my wife. As for lenses - the classic reporter's set of 16-35, 24-70 and 70-200 plus couple of large telephoto mentioned above.

Im the same Helmsman which is why I asked.

What got me wondering is the other day I ordered myself a new phone with a 23MP camera on it (Z5 Premium). Now a camera like that sounds very nice and Im sure there are a lot of people out there who will use it as I use my old faithful which I take everywhere without exception and comes in the form of a 550D.

Cheap easy to use, small and works well.

How many people use these cameras (not just phones) as their main camera, or do people favor a DSLR?