Built for the current Vietnam War GB. Hasegawa 1/48 F-8J converted to an F-8E from VF-162 "The Hunters" as flown by Fl. Lt. Richard Wyman in Dec 1967 after downing a MiG-17 with a Sidewinder at 50ft!

The kit was great and had fun building it. I lost the pitot tube to the carpet monster so need to make a new one and I still have to chuck some sidewinders on it. I used Aires ejector seat and Furball decals. Furball decals were great but I had some issues with fit and placement especially the chevron under the chin. It should really be placed at the ends of the intake's "Danger" triangle but it just wouldn't fit right. I'm sure I did something wrong. Excuse the photos and lack of proper background. Didn't have time to do the proper set up. Anyway overall a fun and quick build. Thanks for stopping by.

F-8E%20037_zpsmoiwzr0b.jpg

F-8E%20039_zpsaxiizw4v.jpg

F-8E%20038_zpsneafbyph.jpg

F-8E%20040_zpsrsxtxgry.jpg

F-8E%20041_zpsacykfrzw.jpg

F-8E%20046_zpssvreei4g.jpg

F-8E%20044_zpsejsnew7x.jpg

Edited by Crazy Snap Captain

Hi Andrew,

It came out very well, but a couple points on your narrative: VF-162 was the "Hunters", not the "Crusaders" - that was VMF-122; and Wyman's kill was a MiG-17, not a 19. Again, though, it looks great, I like your panel line treatment and I'm really glad you did not put on the non-existent lurid yellow sealant around the windscreen elements. Nice to see a "superheat" model.

Cheers,

Tom

Oh snap! Well done!!

Hi Andrew,

It came out very well, but a couple points on your narrative: VF-162 was the "Hunters", not the "Crusaders" - that was VMF-122; and Wyman's kill was a MiG-17, not a 19. Again, though, it looks great, I like your panel line treatment and I'm really glad you did not put on the non-existent lurid yellow sealant around the windscreen elements. Nice to see a "superheat" model.

Cheers,

Tom

Wow, that is SHARP CSC! Nice, crisp detail and the overall "look" of the model is very pleasing to the eye. The markings are a great choice!

This really makes me want to build the Has F-8J I picked up recently...

Thanks lads.

Tom,

Thanks for the correction. I think I just had a mental moment and called them Crusaders because of...well...its a Crusader :rolleyes: Corrected now. Glad you like it. I really want to do this model again, but outside of a GB to give me more time to do it properly and perhaps in 1/32 for that extra level of detail. Really like this a/c now that I have built it. Thanks as well for all your tips during the build!

CSC,

Just an outstanding build. The final presentation is just rock solid. Have you reached out to Furball's about that decal issue?

Joel

Thanks Joel,

Appreciate the feedback. No I haven't contacted Furball as yet. There is actually also a shape issue with the chevron. The decals show a curved chevron when in actuality it is straight lines. Accoring to Superheat (an ex Hunter) Furball corrected this for their 1/72 version. Not sure if they've done that for any later prints of the 1/48 sheet. I've seen other bulds where the placement of the chevron is right, so I dare say I did something wrong :bandhead2:

Might drop them a mail. Cheers again for your comments.