Bandai 1/144 TFA Millennium Falcon

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Zac, better get your kit early! The delivery time might take longer than 2 weeks. Hmmm...I guess to NZ would be way shorter?

I was worried the primer will eat up the details so I'm pre-shading the parts directly with black enamel. Sometimes I worry about the wrong things, though. I hope I know what I'm doing :(

QHUxheA.jpg

awXt77i.jpg

oCEIU6D.jpg

rqNK9Y8.jpg

dDcZSr7.jpg

4rOQ6wd.jpg

TnLq6ev.jpg

GnRNSF4.jpg

HQ7iYri.jpg

ChZZcBG.jpg

The black really makes the details pop. Nice start.

These Bandai Star Wars kits are amazing in my opinion. In terms of kit availability/pricing the seller I got mine from off of Amazon here in the U.S. has increased their price by $10 in the last 2 weeks! Not sure what that means in the long scheme of things but I think this kit will be one of the more popular ones in the Bandai line.

Good luck and I look forward to more updates! :thumbsup:

Regards,

Don.

The black really makes the details pop. Nice start.

These Bandai Star Wars kits are amazing in my opinion. In terms of kit availability/pricing the seller I got mine from off of Amazon here in the U.S. has increased their price by $10 in the last 2 weeks! Not sure what that means in the long scheme of things but I think this kit will be one of the more popular ones in the Bandai line.

Good luck and I look forward to more updates! :thumbsup:/>

Regards,

Don.

It means the movie is coming out in 3 weeks. The hype train is running straight and true. If you buy anything Star Wars between now and after the new year expect to pay more than normal.

It means the movie is coming out in 3 weeks. The hype train is running straight and true. If you buy anything Star Wars between now and after the new year expect to pay more than normal.

If a person is willing to allow themselves to get gouged then sure. I actually picked up Revell's Kylo Rens shuttle today for dirt cheap (pretty BIG kit too...bigger then I thought) and also grabbed a Revell's First Order TIE for far less then MSRP (pre-decorated but looks fun and something I can add my own details too) ;) . I think its more that the word is out that the Bandai SW kits are just THAT good and CAN be had here in the U.S. relatively easily now that the panic is over.

Don't even get me going on the toys and Lego...my Son's Christmas list is Star Wars...Star Wars...and more Star Wars and my wife and I have scored a lot of deals over the past few days.

Cheers!

Thanks, guys! Hi Janman, yeah the separate piping in the maintenance pits are definitely a big plus!

I couldn't wait to test shooting some paint onto the pre-shaded parts so I mixed a little 50-50 of Floquil Reefer White and Grime (as I've read in some forums as the original ILM Falcon mix). Whereas I could usually get away with spraying Model Master and Humbrol enamels indoors, Floquil has a nasty smell so I had to spray in the garage. I was worried about the effects of the cold weather on the paint but it seems to have come out ok.

YW7foPr.jpg

shxJoCF.jpg

0qbzvvf.jpg

MvJM7l5.jpg

ESvVHx6.jpg

D4buBKu.jpg

WAe29fY.jpg

nyMbrLJ.jpg

JMGwBkY.jpg

I did some pre-shading on the hull as well using some Humbrol matte black enamel. I really want to use acrylic for painting but I couldn't seem to control it very well, gumming up and clogging the airbrush often.

JdxNcZV.jpg

yonxbks.jpg

scJ5i6u.jpg

KvnooH9.jpg

Edited by crackerjazz

Great work crackerjazz, the old hunk o' junk is coming along very nicely!

grabbed a Revell's First Order TIE for far less then MSRP (pre-decorated but looks fun and something I can add my own details too) ;)/>

There's a beautiful build of this kit at Britmodeller (blocked on my work PC, so I can't share the link - do find it and have a look for inspiration). The builder repainted it and it looks superb. The biggest issue with it for most people, I think, is/will be the lack of crew in the box. I'm hoping we get them sometime soon in New Zealand as the Level 2 kits look like great value for money.

...There's a beautiful build of this kit at Britmodeller (blocked on my work PC, so I can't share the link - do find it and have a look for inspiration). The builder repainted it and it looks superb...

Hey thanks! I will definitely look that up :thumbsup: !

Regards,

Don.

Thanks, guys!

You wouldn't believe this but I've stripped off the Floquil because the TFA Falcon's digital paintjob seems to differ from the 5-footer in many ways. The weathering pattern comes from the 5-footer but the hue and weathering detailing looks unique to the digital model. I tried to get a good basecoat paint chip from some reference photos and have come up with this so far:

34UpPAP.jpg

I'm experimenting with Tamiya AS-20 for now. I really wanted to translate the color guide in the instruction manual -- I see it mentions 55% of something and 45% of something else -- there must be some good information right there. If anyone can help in this regard I would be very grateful.

TZ6sgAu.jpg

vTxNi0Z.jpg

Y26AqLU.jpg

3QHkbpU.jpg

These pieces seem to be actuators in the digital Falcon it would be good make them from scratch.

iTkjBH0.jpg

dpIEUXo.jpg

JqXZIym.jpg

6SgTXXO.jpg

C8b0Vtp.jpg

Edited by crackerjazz

mQo89T2.jpg

I'll be building an in-flight model and want to replicate the missing landing gear covers on the new Falcon. The model doesn't seem to have similarly-shaped openings in the back so maybe i'll try to scratch one from styrene. And I guess the landing gears will be visible inside the openings.

Edited by crackerjazz

Hi Nicholas, Don, thanks!

Got to work on her a bit today:

XtpyRKc.jpg

They say it's not the Falcon if it's not battered and tattered.

0P9dPur.jpg

Thinned the armor plating overhangs to make it easier to twist.

F2zCzyk.jpg

rkPD9M7.jpg

WatIQVg.jpg

Marked where the mangled edges were.

AErSkoJ.jpg

I was the one feeling the pain and not the Falcon.

dge5Hla.jpg

6jk5Y24.jpg

eyTAWo6.jpg

DxDPQn2.jpg

I love how you've replicated the tattered trailing edges, that's superb work!

Also, is anyone else stunned by that closeup of the CG model? The detail on it... ILM really are the best in the business, and I totally cannot wait for next week.