Bandai 1/144 TFA Millennium Falcon

Curious, wouldn't the mixing ratios be a tad different to account for the smaller scale? The ratios would then tend to be on the lighter side, especially considering the layers of weathering to follow will darken the overall color affect. Not that it helps, but I remember hearing that folks back in the day used a 2:1 mix of Floquil reefer white and grime to make a scale 1/144 Falcon color.

Interesting. Keep us informed please of your test results.

Cheers!

Don.

Thanks, Don!

rqO3MBd.jpg

I see what they mean now about the sensor's frame being one chunk of plastic. Supposedly open areas are filled in with material. Easier for Bandai to mold and more robust for rough handling but doesn't depict the skeleton frame too well.

Some reference shots:

RfJTV0Z.jpg

Btw1Uvz.jpg

gQBOXwg.jpg

8q5paBH.jpg

Even the Anaheim Falcon had a great sensor frame:

zsY6iA4.jpg

fuP7b40.jpg

But the best one is the Launch Bay Falcon's. The frame is super-detailed. If anyone's planning to visit the Disney theme park to to see the models I'd like to request for some photos of that Falcon, please :)/>

http://www.endorexpress.net/2015/11/star-wars-launch-bay/

http://blog.touringplans.com/2015/12/03/star-wars-launch-bay-trials-temple-now-open-disneys-hollywood-studios/

lLSnPO4.jpg

fXB83xz.jpg

Edited by crackerjazz

Hi Janman, Don, Mike, thanks, guys! :) Hi Pete, really glad you're watching my build, too!

Hi Kevin, I made the hinges with one steeper side using fathead image below, but afterwards I examined some photos of the Launch Bay Falcon as well as some early 3D renders and they hand simpler D shapes which would actually be easier to make, like below:

ieAINt9.jpg

This was the kind I made.

GB26woT.jpg

But the Launch Bay Falcon hinges look simpler and they still look really good.

3ipFHvk.jpg

TNeKlQ6.jpg

0lFZ4RA.jpg

You can make four at a time or more. Make more than 32 as the carpet monster seems to like these little buggers.

HBIRyak.jpg

Shape them like so. At this size the angles don't have to be precise because at 1/144 you need to really zoom in with the lens to see anything wrong with the shape. To the naked eye they will always look fine.

5zDdT63.jpg

YoAaRNw.jpg

Mark the right spot and glue the pair into place like this. And afterwards you can lightly sand down the corners to fillet them nicely.

3019CWo.jpg

And they should look good as hinges.

zMkKLmx.jpg

The Launch Bay TFA Falcon model has caught my fancy and I'm trying to replicate the rear.

obUIIws.jpg

Drew a model for patterning and cutting parts from styrene.

xsvr94z.jpg

0NbiKXr.jpg

39pTdcI.jpg

awi5GHx.jpg

OxelXo0.jpg

Did the rest of the twisted panels around the ship.

0TeGPae.jpg

Test fitting. Didn't press down on the sandwich too tight as I might have trouble prying the hull halves apart (have to be very careful because the connectors on this Bandai model mean business) I'd hate to create more cracks on the hull. Still need to make an enclosure for the grille for the engine lighting.

yFaSmVH.jpg

gKiPwG4.jpg

Hey, guys, thanks! Hi Nicholas, sure thing - will post her up -- just working on a few more measurements. The outer grille is important though (wonder why the Launch Bay falcon doesn't have it). The outer grille bars on the Bandai should be made narrower (0.58mm). And I'm not sure if they can be printed and still stay opaque -- photoetch would be a nice option.

an9wxrN.jpg

AMTntzn.jpg

Making some fake milk glass (I read they used some on the studio models to diffuse the light).

vAbtNek.jpg

5gW01ay.jpg

VYGrj9Q.jpg

qlYByrm.jpg

Test fitted half of the Bandai outer grille. I guess the Launch Bay falcon can get away without them because it's not lit. But it looks better (more movie-accurate) with the outer grilles attached when displayed lit.

FA1Do9i.jpg

RcMqAuG.jpg

wAa1vXZ.jpg

jh5EQdC.jpg

The LEDs are too blue, aren't they, heheh. Maybe I should put in white ones. And I'll see if I can make the bars narrower on the Bandai grille.

Edited by crackerjazz