Jump to content
ARC Discussion Forums
CaptainObvious

1/48 Special Hobby X-15A-2

Recommended Posts

Hello everyone,

After lurking here for ages and seeing all your fantastic work, I have finally gotten the courage to post one of mine here.

I went in knowing that it is not a shake and bake kit but I had no idea it would be this hard.

I started her 7 years ago in 2008 and put her away many times in despair.

I never thought that I would finish but here she is, finally...

IMG-20150208-WA0002_zpsuo0xxkac.jpg

IMG_20150518_212057_zpsqo1kzlit.jpg

IMG-20150527-WA0002_zpsyhjq1v0d.jpg

IMG-20150702-WA0006_zpsvcrxjbm7.jpg

IMG-20151101-WA0001_zpsumgags6u.jpg

IMG_20151103_190136_zpsldss5qhp.jpg

IMG_20151103_190237_zps31aa4gyt.jpg

IMG_20151103_190304_zpsdpozxeph.jpg

IMG_20151103_190337_zpsujujdkdp.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very nice work! Love the shading. I've spent a lot of time with this jet in Dayton.

Welcome to ARC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

beautiful work, thanks for sharing

Very nice work! Love the shading. I've spent a lot of time with this jet in Dayton.

Welcome to ARC.

I'm happy to be here!

Thanks for the kind words guys. :thumbsup:/>

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks great. I wanted the 1/48. Couldn't find one so settle for the 1/32. It's a bit big really for my liking.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gorgeous rocket! Really nice finish :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Beautiful build. Now you just need a 1/48 scale B-52 to hang it on :whistle:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the kind words everyone!
 

On ‎4‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 10:06 AM, Mstor said:

Beautiful build. Now you just need a 1/48 scale B-52 to hang it on :whistle:

 

Ha! Now you are just talking crazy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CaptainObvious said:

Ha! Now you are just talking crazy.

 

You Sir, are correct! Anyway, the mounting pylon would cover up too much of you great work. :rolleyes:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Since this thread got resurrected, I thought I'd give it a bit of a update.
 

When I came across this resin figure from Aerobonus http://www.aires.cz/en/product/u-s-a-f-fighter-pilot-pressure-suit-1960-1975/13-2301/,

I immediately thought of posing him getting out of the cockpit of the X-15 like so.

 

60x5WLn.jpg

 

Promptly purchased, I found to my dismay that he would not fit so the project got shelved for a while until I ran across this picture.

 

A69ZkGb.jpg

 

The light bulb in my brain turned on, I scratched up a ladder, made some adjustments to the pose and ended up with this.

 

2NeknVg.jpg

 

I know the details may not be strictly accurate but I'm happy with how it turned out.

 

EVa8f73.jpg

 

Nkizj81.jpg

 

27Y5u2F.jpg

 

A couple of other views.

 

yGWVP0w.jpg

 

GCK4Gqu.jpg

 

Thanks for dropping by everyone!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Awesome, I loved this aircraft. I spent a lot of time with a real one. Each time I visited the X-Plane Hangar in Dayton I’d spend the entire visit with the X-15. No barriers in that hangar so I did a lot of hands-on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Outstanding build!!  I've always loved the look of the X-15 and wanted a Monogram/Tamiya quality 48th scale kit!!  This kit is NOT of that level; but, after ur touch, it sure looks like it!!

Good show all around!!

 

Bo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, Slartibartfast said:

Awesome addition to a very fine model!

 

Thank you!

 

21 hours ago, Scooby said:

Awesome, I loved this aircraft. I spent a lot of time with a real one. Each time I visited the X-Plane Hangar in Dayton I’d spend the entire visit with the X-15. No barriers in that hangar so I did a lot of hands-on.

 

That's so cool. I wish I had that kind of access while I was building this project as references were hard to come by.

 

7 hours ago, Aussie-Pete said:

Awesome

 

Thanks! Have fun with your build.

 

5 hours ago, jabow said:

Outstanding build!!  I've always loved the look of the X-15 and wanted a Monogram/Tamiya quality 48th scale kit!!  This kit is NOT of that level; but, after ur touch, it sure looks like it!!

Good show all around!!

 

Bo

 

Thanks Bo. This kit was no Tamiya for sure. I had to put it away many times. It'll be a while before I pick up another limited run kit again.

Edited by CaptainObvious

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My dad was stationed at Edwards AFB in the late 50's early 60's when the X-15 was flying. Saw it many times take off under the wing of the B-52 and later slide back home on the Dry Lake Bed. Went to school with Greg and Pam White...General White, the X-15 pilot was their dad. Very good job on your X-15 and adding the pilot as well. Brings back memories of the black rocket plane and the F-104 chase planes escorting it home. Those were the days of going higher and faster every day that they could. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎7‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 9:28 AM, aircommando130 said:

My dad was stationed at Edwards AFB in the late 50's early 60's when the X-15 was flying. Saw it many times take off under the wing of the B-52 and later slide back home on the Dry Lake Bed. Went to school with Greg and Pam White...General White, the X-15 pilot was their dad. Very good job on your X-15 and adding the pilot as well. Brings back memories of the black rocket plane and the F-104 chase planes escorting it home. Those were the days of going higher and faster every day that they could. 

 

Thank you for stopping by and sharing.
What an amazing experience you must have had living in Edwards during that time! 
Truly inspiring people who dreamt big and then just went and did the impossible.
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎7‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 3:56 AM, Thunderchief105 said:

Well done glad you finished the build and shared it with us.

 

14 hours ago, SinisterVampire319 said:

Incredible job!!
Why did you wait so long to show your amazing talent?
 

 

Thanks a lot for stopping by and leaving kind comments gents!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×