AMK will release a MiG-25!

From PUNDER:

Hi Martin,

From my references it looks like you can do the MiG-25BM in the RB box... or at least 90% of the RB parts in a separate boxing.

Here is text from Yefim Gordon's Mikoyan MiG-25 Foxbat: Guardian on the Soviet Borders published in 2007:

"The new version [MiG-25BM] had a 720-mm 'plug' inserted into the nose section to accommodate ECM and missile guidance equipment... [MY NOTE, I can't see this on any profiles, including those from this book!] The cockpit interior differed... A curious feature was the self-contained missile cooling system located in each of the pylons to which the AKU-58 ejector racks were fixed... The 'Wild Weasel' could be identified by dielectric blisters... on the sides of the nose (which was painted dark grey or olive drab) and by the AKU-58 missile adapters on the pylons."

I'm pretty sure the BM was developed from the RB, not the P/PD, so the wings are straight and the nozzles are long. EDIT, The intakes are of the extended type seen on lots of RB variants.

Here are a couple of comparisons. The color one is from Gordon's book, the b&w from a Russian book.

mig-25bm_vs_mig-25RBSh_zpseyu2xtxo.jpg

MiG-25BM_vs_MiG-25RBV_zps0gwjk4q6.jpg

Berkut, you may be right and I'm confused. Don't have my books here at work (and please don't tell my boss what I'm doing) but I did have some scans from the Gordon book on my hard drive, and made some more comparison shots. RBV on the left, P on the right. It appears to me that the RBV wing is straight while the PD wing has slight multiple sweep angles.

1. I may be seeing it wrong; the variation is very small.

2. The drawings may be wrong!

I'll have to check my refs when I get home.

wing-sweep-1_zps9vr31atl.jpg

wing-sweep-2_zpsf996h7ef.jpg

Here is another couple of screenshots, from a Russian book. Again, RBV (top) vs. P (bottom).

wing-sweep-4_zpsh4gtr1aq.jpg

wing-sweep-5_zpssppamgc6.jpg

From AIRFIXER

A projected BM boxing would also require modified air intakes. The BM inherited the longer "upper lip" first introduced with mid-production RBK aircraft.

http://walkarounds.a...mig-25bm_78.JPG

Another feature to be taken into consideration particularly with the P/PD/PDS boxing is the wide variety of detachable wingtips. Depending on timeframe, etc.

Well okay. Now I'm thinking three boxes since seeing Jim Barr's model:

MiG-25P/PD/PDS

MiG-25RBx (two noses, for original RB and whatever Red 38 is!)

MiG-25BM (with one gray and one camo scheme; mostly the RB kit, just a new nose, pylons, missiles, instrument panels, lumps/bumps)

Just thinking about the boxart(s) is making me happy.

Sounds like he might be a good source of detail information too... I would really love to hear his opinion on Yefim Gordon's "720-mm plug" in the nose...

First I am far from an expert on the MiG-25 and the sources I used when building the MiG-25BM came from three directions:

1. Y Gordon's book as quoted from

2. Information gleamed from doing web searches, especially some great BM walk-arounds

3. Several really informative discussion threads here on ARC about different MiG-25 variants

As for the "plug" mentioned in Gordon's book, all I can say is I never saw that that in any other source I came across. Does not mean that it is not true but Gordon's "accuracy" has been called into question before, in this case I just don't know.

What I do know is none of the plans and drawings include in his own book or any other plans I came up with show the plug extension when compared to any of the production "R" series MiG-25s.

Regards

Jim Barr

Thank you Jim, that confirms my own experience. Again, that's a beautiful build. Really impressive. I'd seen it before but didn't remember it--glad Berkut did.

About Yefim Gordon--He does get things wrong occasionally, and sometimes his, uh, biases show through... But if not for him, there would be a lot less information available on all that cool Russian hardware. So heck... Since I'm lifting a glass right now anyway--here's to Yefim Gordon!

:cheers:

Edited by punder

Thanks jennings.

Don't get me wrong. I really don't think that we will ever do a trainer version of this. Perhaps I would be the only one to buy it. To make it worth it Sio would make me buy 1000's of them LOL.

My initial thoughts are that it could be:

2x Interceptor and or bomber boxing (?) (P / PD / PDS / BM Bomber)?

1x Recce boxing (RBV / RBT?)

Sio will decide, of course, so I can only speculate at this time. So, its up to you all to make the case for each variant.

Trust me, a reconnaissance version is MOST DEFINITELY needed. And there were MANY recon variants apart from the basic photo recon variants also (each fitted with different types of SLAR and other sensors), but at least one of the photo recon variants would be MOST needed (i would definitely have bought at least one or two if there was a complete kit of it available).

Not only there were a LOT of variants of recon MIG-25's but they also served in many countries (India, Algeria, Egypt, Russia, probably Ukraine, Iraq, Libya).

As for the PU 2 seat variant, i have already bought one (1-72), and i would definitely like to see one offered in 1-48th scale as well. One has to remember that all the guys who fly MIG-25's as tourists in Russia fly on the PU variant ;) (there is a souvenir market there already just for that variant. People who fly the MIG-25 pay amounts that are in the 10K or more per flight. So the price of a model kit of the PU will be nothing for them). And again, India had them, Algeria, Russia, etc.

Also, if you do the PU you won't need to redo the whole aircraft, only the front fuselage, so you can do that easily at low cost as you will only need one more insert for the new front fuselage plus the additional seat and cockpit interior, plus another extra small insert for the canopy and windshield.

Maybe its MiG-25BM walkarownd will help in design of future MiG-25 model.

You have to be careful about the aircrafts at Monino, though i have not studied this particular example here but Monino aircrafts tend to be prototypes or pre-series, so details or even the general shape often may differ. Is that a production aircraft, Kotey ?

Stephane.

Email: stratospheremodels@yahoo.fr

Edited by Stratospheremodels

Plus, with the photo recon version, you can design it with the option of camera panels open !!! YUM !!!! :woot.gif:

My memory must be playing a trick on me, i am sure i recently saw a picture of a MIG-25 with side panels open and some internal electronic or camera boxes partially rotated outside the aircraft on the left hand side. I know that on at least one photo recon version the whole camera package is accessed by lowering the whole set of cameras and lower fuselage panel underneath the aircraft, so it just hangs underneath, not on the side. I must have seen a photo for something else, probably for one of the radar recon versions, but i can't find the photo. Though the arrangement of panels for the radar recon version that i have seem to point out to the missing photo i have seen, must have been for the radar recon version. Then again, i think there are more than one camera recon variant ?

Email: stratospheremodels@yahoo.fr

Edited by Stratospheremodels

P/PD/PDS...

Given my latest stash reduction and increase in shelf space, I'd buy and build one of each.

Sheesh...there'll go my money...

Ok, AMK.

Knuckle down to it and make uncle Belyakov proud.

coolio.gif

<bleep>

Edited by Airfixer

You have to be careful about the aircrafts at Monino, though i have not studied this particular example here but Monino aircrafts tend to be prototypes or pre-series, so details or even the general shape often may differ. Is that a production aircraft, Kotey ?

Stephane.

Believe me Kotey knows when he is doing research! This BM aircraft in question has nothing to do with Monino! Of the handful built BM’s only two remain on display and this is one of them, it was a full operational aircraft!

Have a closer look at the background, especially that MiG-23MLD with original Afganistan paint scheme! :woot.gif: :woot.gif: :woot.gif:

Monino not only has prototype/preproduction examples!!! Monino has no BM.

Best regards

Gabor

Edited by ya-gabor

TOne has to remember that all the guys who fly MIG-25's as tourists in Russia fly on the PU variant ;)/>/>/>

Video of a French journalist and a French astronaut (then training for space flights in Russia) flying a MiG-25 for a simulated Buran approach and landing :

More videos of the kind in margin.

Edited by AV O

I didn't do Latin but I guess it means "But I think that the Su-15 is eagerly expected".

I was told this thread was "wishlist free" but I could have sworn I saw something about the Su-15. Huh. I must be hallucinating. Or just having a beautiful dream. :woot.gif:/>

It was in the RB development section of the book, and said "The new version [MiG-25BM] had a 720-mm 'plug' inserted into the nose section to accommodate ECM and missile guidance equipment." So I'm pretty sure, given the context, he meant vs. the RB. Maybe he misinterpreted an internal change, perhaps to the layout of equipment bays in the nose.

I have a weekend coming up so I can spend some time looking at more photos, but it seems the 720mm plug is getting more mythical by the moment.

I re-read that section as well, and my take was that he meant a plug inserted to make the BM. But I also agree that I don't see it in any photos.

I find Komissarov's books to often be very confusing and vague. Perhaps something gets lost in translation.

I think *the* book on the MiG-25 has yet to be written.