The wife thinks Im a hoarder!

I think unbuilt model kits can hold as much appeal as examples of design and craftsmanship as the finished product, or even the things they represent.

The anticipation of a project is also part of my appreciation of a kit in its box in my stash - I can contemplate the enjoyable aspects of a build without any of the frustrating aspects projects on the go often also entail.

My stash is small compared to those on display here, but I'd happily make it larger if funds allowed.

Edited by worldslaziestbusker
1448297496[/url]' post='2760357']

Hoarding, collecting... so what? If you're making the mortgage payments and there's food on the table, who should care? At least a model stash could be sold for an appreciable fraction of the purchase price in the need arose.

If you have more fun buying, stashing and fondling kits than building - fine.

If you prefer to not buy a new kit until you finish the ONE you already have - fine.

If you have more fun starting a new kit instead of finishing an old one - fine.

If you only like building the cockpits and then leaving the rest unbuilt - fine.

If you are happy being a (excuse what is usually meant as a pejorative) "Bubba builder" - fine.

If you are an AMS ridden, rivet counting, JMN, but like it that way - fine...just don't impose that attitude on any of the above scale model hobbyists! wink.gif

I need to find this guy! We could share our stash. I have a hard time putting time into a cockpit since you really cannot see it once it is behind the glass in the display case.

I think unbuilt model kits can hold as much appeal as examples of design and craftsmanship as the finished product, or even the things they represent.

The anticipation of a project is also part of my appreciation of a kit in its box in my stash - I can contemplate the enjoyable aspects of a build without any of the frustrating aspects projects on the go often also entail.

Absolutely. Obviously, I enjoy collecting kits as much as I do building them, so for me, the hobby extends from my collection of kits to the 300 or so built ones sitting on display. Or at least until we moved last summer...I gave away about 200 of my built ones.

Mike

Gents, I too am eternally grateful for having the chance to show that my measly stash of 15 kits (which includes some that are started) is utterly insignificant!

Have any of you tried reversing the issue and complained about the number of pairs of shoes or handbags wifie dear has.....?

Les

Edited by lesthegringo

Gents, I too am eternally grateful for having the chance to show that my measly stash of 15 kits (which includes some that are started) is utterly insignificant!

Have any of you tried reversing the issue and complained about the number of pairs of shoes or handbags wifie dear has.....?

Les

Don't...

Wife went to put something in the closet the other day and said "your kind of maxed out on models aren't you". I can think of plenty of other places there is room.

My wife tried pulling that on me so I invested in metal wire shelving. Finally unpacked the moving boxes that I stored them in and found some kits I forgot I had!

I think I might have quit buying, at least for a while. About thirteen years ago my wife claimed I had in the thousands (an attempt at an average for kits in a box times the number of boxes packed) and I have had thirteen more years of buying after that. My son thinks I am a hoarder and he is probably right. However my vices are books (used book stores and library outlets that charge two bucks max for a book...found an illustrated book on Laos over a hundred years old...$2.00...offered more but they wouldn't take it!), models and tools so not too bad. Looking at the prices of used golf clubs at Goodwill I think my kids and or wife will get more for the models and tools (and some of the books) than old golf clubs or empty whiskey bottles. The thing I am really going to work at changing if I start buying again is to buy some of the super kits I'd really like to have. Funny thing...it was much easier to sell my wife on buying $150 of kits on sale than one super kit that I really want...oh well. I guess change starts with not buying ONE kit! :D

If your wife says you have too many kits.....just put 2 kits in each box.....suddenly you only have half as many kits showing. :woot.gif:/>/>/>

That would be hard to do if they are Wingnuts kits Steve! :D/>/>

Actually, I am totally the opposite.The OCD I have works the opposite for me, I can't stand having thousands of kits that I know I will never build lying around, and I cant stand lose ends, unfinished builds, etc.I have gone back to one project at a time, from start to finish.

I only ever had a small stash to begin with, but even then I sold nearly all of them off and only kept about half a dozen of kits that I will do, whenever I get the building bug back again that is, been in a slump for ages.

....but, thats just me, and all the people that have the big stashes and like collecting kits, all power to you!... So long as you enjoy yourself, who cares! :D/>/>

Cheer's,

Jeff.

I just realised the collectors play a role in supporting manufacturers and retailers to an extent I can't match. They may never build their entire stash, but they've pumped a lot of currency through the hobby that would have circulated, or not, through other industries but for their tastes and storage space.

Bravo, collectors.

I owe you a small but clearly non-zero debt of gratitude for the current state of health of the hobby.

.....just put 2 kits in each box.....

I've already been doing that for years...

If someone acts shocked by the number of kits on my shelf I tend not to mention they are also stacked two-deep... :woot.gif: