Aeroproducts propeller blades color?

Hi,

could anybody, please, explain reason and/or purpose of the different colors on the Aeroproducts propeller blades on P-39?

They were either black with yellow stencils and yellow tips, or silver-grey with black stabcils and without yellow tips:

2.jpg

Thank you in advance.

66misos

66misos,

Propellers are painted with a coat of paint that acts as corrosion protection. These are usually either gray or black. They may come from the factory new in gray color and later be overhauled and be painted black or vice versa. Painting the tips a contrasting color is a practice that came into favor during WWII to make spinning propellers more visable to ground crews working around planes with running engines. Often the back of the prop may be painted with a flat black to reduce reflections for the pilot. Those are the "facts".

My opinion of the pictures you post is that the gray props are original issue early war and the black is after overhaul. With a few exceptions I would be skeptical of any paint on a WWII airplane in a modern museum. There is a lot of artistic license being exercised out there!

As always, work from photos of the specific subject you are modeling.

Hope this helps...

C2j

Thank you for reply. It is clear. But it looks they used both paintings in parallel. That grey one - was it only matt varnish on the steel surface or was it some grey paint?

I don't have a specific answer to your "in parallel" question. Could it be that different contracts had different specifications i.e. USAAC said gray but USSR and France said black?

The "gray" finish is often just a clear coat over the metal for corrosion protection though in some cases I have seen actual gray paint used.

C2j

I don't have a specific answer to your "in parallel" question. Could it be that different contracts had different specifications i.e. USAAC said gray but USSR and France said black?

The "gray" finish is often just a clear coat over the metal for corrosion protection though in some cases I have seen actual gray paint used.

C2j

Thanks for reply.

These all are Russian Cobras - they have either grey or black prop. blades:

1446835495_P-39_Victorystars_01.jpg

1446833563_image-18.jpg

56.jpg

57.jpg

So yes, that grey one is probably clear coat over the metal for corrosion protection.

Regards,

66misos

been inside the old prop shop a couple times (the company I worked for owned Aeroproducts), and they are a very dark matte finished grey. So dark that it looks black when shipped. Of course the end user may repaint them whatever color he chooses. It's also frowned upon to repaint them for some odd reason. May have something to do with harmonics or metal fatigue.

gary

May have something to do with harmonics or metal fatigue.

If it has to do with metal fatigue, you'd better scrap it and get yourself a new prop. At least if you want *me* to fly it!

Edited by Jennings